Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LIX: The Train - Game Over  (Read 62439 times)

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Official Pace Car for the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LIX: The Train - And we're off!
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2016, 05:43:19 pm »

I've found that people, in general, tend to believe other people until given a reason not to.  So you must have done something to remove their trust.  That makes me wonder if you're being honest in here, when you act like you're not scum.  Add to that the fact that you needed to "properly think up a plan", and I'm starting to get more than a little suspicious of you.

Unvote.

AbstractTraitorHero, I think you're scum.
Quote from: webadict
I could care less what you are now, because what you will be is dead.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2016, 05:49:32 pm »

Well you'd be wrong I'm town plain and simple and well I was at school and what I really meant by plan was figure out how I was going to post.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2016, 05:51:03 pm »

what I really meant by plan was figure out how I was going to post.

You hit the "Reply" button and write your reply.  What's to figure out?

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2016, 05:53:15 pm »

What I meant was that'd I be rereading everything and forming new opinions and as such plan what I'd post.

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2016, 05:55:43 pm »

What I meant was that'd I be rereading everything and forming new opinions and as such plan what I'd post.

New opinions?  Are you sure you don't mean that you needed to converse with your scumpal and come up with some dastardly scheme to bring down the rest of us townies?

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2016, 05:58:29 pm »

Yes I am sure so can you explain why you suspect me exactly.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2016, 05:58:40 pm »

Elephant Parade:  You're very in people's faces about posting.  Does silence make you uncomfortable?
No. Lurking and activelurking are very, very bad for town; there's even a warning about it in the OP.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2016, 06:05:18 pm »

Elephant Parade:  You're very in people's faces about posting.  Does silence make you uncomfortable?
No. Lurking and activelurking are very, very bad for town; there's even a warning about it in the OP.
To clarify, because that post feels a bit disconnected: It doesn't make me feel uncomfortable, but I do think low activity is a very bad thing.

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2016, 06:12:24 pm »

Yes I am sure so can you explain why you suspect me exactly.

Your language leads me to believe that you are either an untrustworthy person (people lynching you for being "too honest" makes zero sense to me), or just terminally bad at phrasing.  Maybe I'm an overly suspicious person, but saying that you're going to "properly think up a plan" when my only plan at the moment is "find the scum" makes me wonder what you know that I don't, which is the root of pretty much all suspicion.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2016, 06:18:23 pm »

It's probably I'm terminally bad at phrasing I think really weirdly and don't really collect my thoughts more like just fire them one after the other like a machine gun.

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2016, 06:21:06 pm »

Alright.  Unvote.  I won't say I completely trust you yet, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since we're both new at this.  I'm still learning what's actually suspicious, as opposed to what my brain tells me is suspicious.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2016, 06:23:47 pm »

It also dident help that I was focusing on a lot of other things when I wrote the need time to plan post I was in physics and working with my group mates so I just typed down something quick to tell you guys when I'd be able to post.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2016, 06:29:35 pm »

Hmmm, it's either that elephant parade and Vector are playing us and they are both mafia, or one of them is mafia.

Why do you think that?

What do you guys think when starring at the color red for too long?

That my eyes hurt.

Doomchild, you're attacking lurkers. That's easy. How come you're not asking anyone else anything? Are you afraid of giving up your role on accident and want to play it safe?

Gentlefish, why are you rolefishing?

It's called no one believes you and believes your lying when in all reality your not.

That sounds like a "I wasn't convincing enough" problem, not an "I was too honest" problem.

I'm here, just been busy with stuff.

Persus13, can you tell me something about how the Bay12 playstyle has changed lately? Are you familiar with any of the other players?

Oh--and by the way, is lurking still a really big scumtell for you these days?

I realize that weekends are free, but you were also inactive on Friday—or does Friday count as part of the weekend, mafia-wise? I don't actually know. Either way, it sounds like you've been too busy to play, so I'll unvote.

Usually I take Friday nights off and come back on Sunday if I'm going to do other stuff on those days, but besides that, there's the point that hopping around having an agitated RVS doesn't help anything. I realize that Town is Active is a sacrament, but knowing when to hang back and wait for everyone else to post is a virtue, too.

I am also not big on asking everyone to post their reads over and over and over again.

Well, that said, I found all of the following kind of interesting.

Hmmm, it's either that elephant parade and Vector are playing us and they are both mafia, or one of them is mafia.
Isn't super-early D1 a bit early for certainty?

Certainty is the only thing that concerns you here? Scumbucket?

As for "trying to vote scum": I don't have psychic powers, sorry.
[a little while later...]
I was expecting an actual question—one relating to your suspicions—rather than an RVS question.

ElephantParade, I just popped you into the LurkerTracker. You're three times as active as everyone else in RVS and have voted perhaps twice as many times. You have called others out for not asking questions based on their suspicions--objecting to the fact that they were attacking lurkers and asking RVS questions.

Below, I've split your accusations into two categories. The first group is "pressuring lurkers and shitty players." The second group is "totally random RVS questions."

TempAcc: In the previous game, your playstyle was unanimously declared to be awful. In light of that, are you planning to shake things up—or are you going to get yourself lynched D1 again?
snow dwarf: Despite posting twice, you have not asked any questions—or said anything of substance, but that's to be expected since it's RVS. The more questions people ask, the faster we can escape RVS. Why have you not asked any questions? Normally, I'd throw in a pressure vote here, but I'm still waiting on fillipk.
ATH: So far, all you've done is respond to people and participate in my RVS attack; you haven't really started anything. Now, you've said that getting mislynched is an issue for you; assuming you're town, how are you going to dodge the noose this game?
[to doomchild]
You're not really one to talk—all you've done is bug lurkers. While you're waiting on Tinfoil to post, you should be pursuing some other avenue, rather than sitting around doing nothing.
Working on a bigger post, but since you're here right now: Persus13 needs a prod, I'm pretty sure; he hasn't made a single post all game.
Vector, your vote is still on snow dorf; they committed OMGUS, yes, but it was in their first-ever Mafia post, and their subsequent posts showed that they didn't yet have any idea how to play the game. It's been a day and a half; shouldn't you be using that vote to pressure someone else?
snow dorf: At this point, you should probably be at least slightly suspicious of at least one other player. Ask them questions! Not doing anything is known as "lurking", and will probably get you lynched. Also, you still have that OMGUS vote on Vector; if you no longer have any reason to be voting someone—say, they responded to your RVS question/statement—you shouldn't be voting them. By the way, voting someone solely or primarily because they voted you is referred to as OMGUS, or "Oh My God You Suck", and considered a strong scumtell.
ATH: If your noose-avoidance strategy is being hilariously passive, let me tell you right now: It won't work. If you keep this up, I expect you'll get lynched for being completely useless. You have not asked a single question.
TinFoilTopHat: You haven't posted. Please post.
Persus13: You are the IC. You have not made a single post. Did you forget you were in the game, or what? I'm not going to throw in a pressure vote because I'm pretty sure you don't know you're in the game, but this is ridiculous.

Persus13: I will probably call you "Perseus" at least three times over the course of this game. Does this upset you?
AbstractTraitorHero: You have "traitor" in your name, so you're the mafia. I am 100% sure of this. Just letting you know.
Everyone else: How does it feel to know that you were skipped in the first second post of the game?
I will instead vote Gentlefish, whose name is, I think, designed to make him/her appear gentle—when they're actually scum! A clever strategy.

Gentlefish: How will you respond to these allegations?
I'm going to bed. I don't have time to pick out another proper RVS vote, so I'm instead going to use the power of RANDOM GENERATION.

Fillipk, a trustworthy source has informed me that you are, in fact, part of the scumteam. I trust this source with my life, so I'm going to keep my vote on you for the rest of the game.

Just letting you know.

Then there's these gems.

You're not really one to talk—all you've done is bug lurkers. While you're waiting on Tinfoil to post, you should be pursuing some other avenue, rather than sitting around doing nothing.

So, here's my question. In light of everything you've said, would you call this trend in the data

a. Activelurking
b. Muddying the waters
c. Shitposting, or
d. Hypocrisy?

As you can see, you've attacked everyone in the game so far with either a transparent RVS question or accusations of poor play and lurking, supposedly to "put pressure on them."

There's a funny thing about a bed of nails. When the weight of a body is placed on the bed, its pressure is distributed, and the person trying to sleep on it doesn't get hurt. Maybe prickled a little. For this reason, broadsiding everyone in the game with nonspecific accusations after, say, your very first post does not produce "pressure." There is a different between absence and lurking. Given that the problem is that people aren't showing up to play the game... because it's not currently engaging...

I have two real questions for you, now that I'm done screwing around. The first one is for you to think about on your own: Are you being constructive right now?

And second, tell me: who's scum, and why do you think that?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2016, 08:31:33 pm »

Certainty is the only thing that concerns you here? Scumbucket?
Yes. Using absolute language so early seemed really, really weird to me, so I pointed it out.

As for "trying to vote scum": I don't have psychic powers, sorry.
[a little while later...]
I was expecting an actual question—one relating to your suspicions—rather than an RVS question.
This one was my fault: I misinterpreted your post as "try to vote people you KNOW are scum", rather than "try to find scum", or "try to ask better questions", or whatever you meant. At the same time, you could have put the emphasis on hunting, rather than voting—which is what I did in that second post.

a. Activelurking
b. Muddying the waters
c. Shitposting, or
d. Hypocrisy?
It's true that I've spent a lot of time doing that stuff, but I've *also* done as much actual scumhunting as everyone else. So, yes, the signal-to-noise ratio is high, but I would say that that's because there's more noise, not less signal. To demonstrate:

Vector, your vote is still on snow dorf; they committed OMGUS, yes, but it was in their first-ever Mafia post, and their subsequent posts showed that they didn't yet have any idea how to play the game. It's been a day and a half; shouldn't you be using that vote to pressure someone else?
This is a legitimate attack. It turned out that you were actually just busy, but it *could* have been a mafioso keeping their vote on someone for a relatively lazy reason. The second half isn't phrased like an attack, but it could have been.

Quote from: an alternate universe in which I'm a better player
Vector, your vote is still on snow dorf; they committed OMGUS, yes, but it was in their first-ever Mafia post, and their subsequent posts showed that they didn't yet have any idea how to play the game. A real townie would be using that vote to pressure someone else.

This is similar to the above post: If I had thrown in a vote/FoS and "GOLLY GEE THIS SURE SEEMS SUSPICIOUS HUH", this would have been a full-fledged attack.

Quote from: this quote is kind of a mess, but I have no clue how to fix it; orange is me, but you should probably just click the link
Replacement requested sorry I've been sick since Tuesday and don't have as much time as I thought I would.

Well, alright.  I'll unvote you and focus on someone else until your replacement arrives.

TinFoilTopHat, we haven't seen anything out of you, yet.  Are you too busy plotting with your scumbuddy to post with the rest of us Townies?
Again, it's not phrased like an attack, but it *is* an attack, in a way. The very next post was Gentlefish voting doomchild for this exact reason.

(By the way, you put this post in both your second and third categories.)

With some of these, I was reluctant to remove an earlier pressure vote just to pressure someone else; in retrospect, I should have prioritized my vote better. Also, I've been phrasing a lot of stuff really gently—less as attacks, and more as "hey, you probably shouldn't do this".

Vector-as-IC: Do you think that stuff should be phrased harshly from the very start, to provoke reactions?

Are you being constructive right now?
Yes. What if I *hadn't* told snow dorf what he was doing wrong? Until you came back, he would have had absolutely no idea what he was doing, and we might have ended up with what would probably (7/9) have been a mislynch. My memory of my really early games is hazy, but I recall lurkers getting mislynched, so it *is* a good idea to try to get people to be active.

And second, tell me: who's scum, and why do you think that?
I'm not really sure. Before, I was kind of focused on you, since I thought your refusal to unvote snow dorf was weird, but then it turned out you were busy.

ATH has been very quiet, and it sounds like they generally aren't that way? They said why, but they're getting into pretty heavy activelurking—zero questions asked, including RVS—so I'm going to place my imaginary final vote on them, for now.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2016, 08:40:15 pm »

Okay then I'll try to be a little more aggressive then
Hector13
How do you feel about being a replacement?have any plans? Tell me something begin talking! Do you have any reads yet!? Who do you think could be scum?
....I have asked questions I'm waiting for a response really but I'm just going to go ahead and  ask everyone questions now.
Everyone:
Who do you think is scum and why?
Who do you believe would be the most dangerous as scum?
Who do you think is least likely to be scum in other words who do you think is town?
Do you think we should Lynch someone day 1 or wait for someone to die and gather evidence from what happened over the night?
Who has the coolest username here?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40