Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My well isn't really well.  (Read 3804 times)

Mister McNope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My well isn't really well.
« on: February 11, 2016, 07:18:26 pm »

So I'm in a cold embrak where water is frozen during Atumn and Winter, wich never really was a problem, then 2 titans attacked and it became a problem, so I digged desperatly to around layer 160 to the nearest cave lake (apparently this is also a montain base) and built a well there, but my guys in the Hospital are not using it, spamming me with the message of no water source, the well is active but not used as a meeting hall, and bellow it is 7/7 muddy cavern water, it is in a downward slope with nothing in between it and the water. Am I doing something wrong or is this the game being weird.

*Sorry for the title*

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My well isn't really well.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:26:09 pm »

Are you sure your guys can reach the well?
Also maybe you need to disable the first well because in my experience they only use one of them. I haven't built multiple wells for a long time (since 40.24).

Mister McNope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:30:17 pm »

They should, there's nothing blocking the stairs, and I never built a well in this embark before, so I dunno what could be happening, tomorrow I'll be playing some more, if by then it's fixed then the dwarves where probably being idiots.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 07:32:37 pm »

Muddy water is not good for hospital treatments, it can infect wounds so you should probably get fresher water. It can be done by simply making a well over water where there is depth of atleast 2z. So you should be able to do that even with small cave lakes in times of great need. Even if the lake isnt 2z deep you can always make a hole 2z deep next to the lake and then channel to it.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 01:15:48 am »

Try making a water source zone directly on the carven water.

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 03:11:58 am »

I think Henry47 is probably right, and that the issue is with a lack of a water source zone. If not that, did you confine your dwarves to burrows outside of the cavern, or forget to turn off a civilian alert after the Titan attack?
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 05:02:48 am »

Check your options whether dwarves are allowed to get water from non-zoned areas.

Lohakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 05:14:21 am »

Muddy water must be pumped to change to clear water usable for a hospital.

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 06:06:46 am »

Pumping isn't really necessary. Like Findulidas said, all you need to do is to dig a little 2-z-level deep trench next to the lake. Preferably let the the water flow through fortifications first before it enters the well-trench, the last thing you need at this point is a FB making it into the fort via the plumbing.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 07:10:50 am »

Check your options whether dwarves are allowed to get water from non-zoned areas.
My well works just fine even if I turn zone-only on.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 07:25:27 am »

Try zoning it... it should tell you if it counts as a water source, if it doesn't count as a water source channel arround it and make it bigger... that should help
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 09:14:37 am »

As far as I know, a well needs at least a 1x2 water zone over it, so dwarves recognize it as a water source (and have a spot to stand on to get it)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Mister McNope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 10:46:06 am »

I got back at the game today and it seems to be working, I don't know what I needed to do, nor what I did, but it worked, anyways thanks for the help everyone.
Muddy water is not good for hospital treatments, it can infect wounds so you should probably get fresher water. It can be done by simply making a well over water where there is depth of atleast 2z. So you should be able to do that even with small cave lakes in times of great need. Even if the lake isnt 2z deep you can always make a hole 2z deep next to the lake and then channel to it.
Yeah I know that, but this was made as an emergency because I had no other water source, I was working on a reservoir just before the first titan attacked, once that is done I'll build a new well.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 11:24:17 am »

As far as I know, a well needs at least a 1x2 water zone over it, so dwarves recognize it as a water source (and have a spot to stand on to get it)

That has never been necessary in my forts.  I just make wells wherever is convenient, and dwarves use them.  I have no water zones at all.  (Having a water zone elsewhere would probably prevent their use of the well, though.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 01:18:03 pm »

This doesn't seem to be the case. The other day I needed to top up the cistern below my well. I designated pond zones along the edge of the top of the cistern, and immediately had dwarves grabbing buckets, filling them at the well (which did not have a water zone), carrying them down one level, and dumping them back in the cistern. I had to forbid the items the well was made from to get them to stop. Which, of course, also prevented any other use of the well during the cistern filling. :-P
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: [1] 2