Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Mission 27: Earthquake team  (Read 24301 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 27: Earthquake team
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2016, 09:58:47 am »

For now, keep Comrade Dimitri ready to deflect any attacks from the ships on our positions.
You think boring, self protecting, not violent thoughts.

((Dang, the one time pw updates our missions early is when there's a crazy plan in the works and I'm not in time to respond to it. Oh well, we're committed now, might as well :v

Also, I noticed that putting part of my rp in the post together with the turn leads to other people responding in here as well instead of rp thread, so I'll try not to do that anymore from now on.))

Use portals in the way that Flint needs for his jolly little stunt.

If possible, do a weak laser attack at the engine of one of the shuttles as a test to see if the engines are shielded, or if those could be taken out selectively.

If any more actions for this turn, keep using portals to send back enemy shuttles as far away as possible. By the way, what is that 1 shuttle doing that I send away already?

[4]
((I thought long and hard, trying to come up with a plan that ends with me playing  chicken with the bomber. And I succeeded.))

If Miyamoto is willing and if the partially failed shot means the air is clear enough for Miyamoto to have a chance of hitting the shuttle:
Fly full speed towards the shuttle while using radio and speakers to call it a wuss and generally goad it to fly towards me.
Ask Miyamoto put a direction reversing portal in front of the ship. Dodge it at the last second. Trust the heart of the dice. Like I did the first time Miyamoto and I did something as fun and as dangerous.
If all went well, my relative speed is now small compared to the ship (since its speed reversed and mine didn't) and I can hopefully fly through its shield from behind, where the engines might be uncovered or their heat might help mask me from the sensors. Then, once inside, try to laser my way through like a Sentinel from Matrix, searching for the automanipulator.
Or I can try shooting it in the ass if I can't catch up to it and I have a clear shot. Use either a small laser sweep first to test it. Then followed up with either a containment bubble forming a hardlight bubble inside the automanipulator's sphere to allow me to slow it down/catch up to it (comments about lassoing sky cows optional) or just a big red rainbow cannon blast to its ass depending on how close I am.

In all other cases where I can't do that for some reason:
The plan is to dodge, try to match speed with the lead shuttle (from behind, if possible) and then try to slowly fly through its shield (with my shield disabled, in case it matters). Or shoot it in the ass if it's uncovered, as described above.

Edit: Oh! And don't forget to try to fire at them if they fire at me, just in case they have to lower their shields to do so. Although my first priority would probably be to shoot whatever they're shooting at me and dodge, if it's something I can dodge.

Edit2: And if I can't go through their shield for some reason, then maybe try using the magic eater to make a hole through the shield and laser through it to destroy the automanipulator.

Edit3: The reason I want to try to catch up with the bomber and go through its automanipulator instead of outright destroying it is that if I can go through its shield and reach its juicy insides, I can then connect to it and maybe to the other shuttles, thus giving us a chance of disabling their shields through Aux. Or I could simply give Miyamoto the exact location of the automanipulators for him to fry them with radiation or whatever he does.

The plan works pretty well at first, miya manages to get the one shuttle going in vaguely the reverse of its original heading, more like 120 degrees than 180 but still. The problem comes when you attempt to catch up and land on it to cut your way in. The shuttle starts doing hard evasive action, jerking, spinning and turning hard. You manage to land on it once, but it slips right out of under you.  So you decide to instead just take a shot at the engines.

You take out several of the engines and the thing starts to descend, going in for an emergency landing on the remaining engines.

Mean while, the other shuttles have made it over to the wall and are descending down, straight toward miya and pancaek. And by descending I mean nosediving.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2016, 10:11:01 am »

Open portals to send away as many shuttles as I can. Retreat into the mountain entryway to prevent shuttles donking me in the head if possible, otherwise just dodge.

Should the shuttles be disembarking troops of some kind, shoot them. If it instead seems they are suicide bombing, brace for impact (aka gogo protective cloak hiding), or try to dodge the attack by retreating to somewhere further away using portals.

For our gunships, see if they can shoot at their engines. Only take out a few though so they'll be forced to do emergency landing (as opposed to crashing and possibly activating the manip). 

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:11:27 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2016, 07:00:02 am »

Pan inches a bit closer to Miyamoto.

"Comrade! I really don't think that's the correct way to land an aircraft! I need to get these fucking planes out of the air, preferably without damaging the manips inside. Just, open your cosmos portal from before or something and dump them in space, but get these planes away from me, as far as you can!"

Stand near miyamoto, crawl underneath him and his cloak if things go topsy-turvy.

Get angry thoughts, tell Comrade Dimitri the above, eg. to get these planes away from me/here.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 11:09:13 am by Pancaek »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2016, 02:15:43 am »

Grab the shuttle (grab it with hands, grab it with hardlight, stab it, lasso it with my rope, whatever) and help it land. (If it's crash landing on water, I guess the correct term is ditch.)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2016, 11:35:04 am »

Grab the shuttle (grab it with hands, grab it with hardlight, stab it, lasso it with my rope, whatever) and help it land. (If it's crash landing on water, I guess the correct term is ditch.)
You capture the shuttle with the containment gun and set it down in the area that pancaek's id destroyed.

Pan inches a bit closer to Miyamoto.

"Comrade! I really don't think that's the correct way to land an aircraft! I need to get these fucking planes out of the air, preferably without damaging the manips inside. Just, open your cosmos portal from before or something and dump them in space, but get these planes away from me, as far as you can!"

Stand near miyamoto, crawl underneath him and his cloak if things go topsy-turvy.

Get angry thoughts, tell Comrade Dimitri the above, eg. to get these planes away from me/here.

Open portals to send away as many shuttles as I can. Retreat into the mountain entryway to prevent shuttles donking me in the head if possible, otherwise just dodge.

Should the shuttles be disembarking troops of some kind, shoot them. If it instead seems they are suicide bombing, brace for impact (aka gogo protective cloak hiding), or try to dodge the attack by retreating to somewhere further away using portals.

For our gunships, see if they can shoot at their engines. Only take out a few though so they'll be forced to do emergency landing (as opposed to crashing and possibly activating the manip). 

Together you manage to stop 9 of the 12. Or rather, redirect them or portal them away.

3 get through. Comrade physically tackles one of them to the ground at the last moment, bringing that number down to two, but still, they get through.

Where exactly is everyone...I know where pancaek and miya are, where Flint is, and Lars is still up on the wall, right? We'll assume he is.

The good news first. They disabled their automanips a few seconds before the crash, so those don't overload. The bad news is that the nukes they're carrying are still very active, and they're going off anywhere between 10 feet and a few hundred feet from all of the team.

Miya: The avatar is powerful. Very powerful indeed. And it can survive being nuked, even at this range. It rides the blast wave, hurled before it can disintegrate.  It loses the cloak. It loses most of the armor. The restraint systems are failing. Miya is half conscious, dazed and disoriented. The avatar is pushing. It wants out.

Pancaek: Exo [1] Powerful though you may be, I think attempting to block a nuke is the definition of extenuating circumstances. Especially when already engaging in other actions. The good news is that you do have a white mask embedded in mythril so you survive. Bad news is that your body and everything you're carrying is vaporized and your mask gets flung straight over the mountain and out into the ocean where it promptly sinks.

Flint: You're the farthest from this and protected by a giant stone wall. You survive, as does your suit, but you are buried in rubble.

Lars:You aren't at the exact epicenter, but you are standing on top of the wall. The blast wave punts you off the wall and you end up falling from heaven like a radioactive meteor. The suit keeps you alive but you break your spine and paralyze both legs, the suit loses most of its armor and is badly damaged, functional, but only just barely.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2016, 12:13:25 pm »

Use 5 second reset to revert the damage done (thank god that thing uses uncon).
Would this move Pancaek back to my location as well? Since he was sticking close to me, and so like the bullet in the example case given in the armory description he'd return to me safe and sound (and repaired, presumably?)

If I cannot use the reset for some reason, then just pop a will stim and suppress the Avatar influence. Also do this if the Avatar is still acting up after the reset.

Also, the rest of those shuttles, can we count them as dealt with? Or are they coming back for another try?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:18:49 pm by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2016, 12:48:18 pm »

Would this move Pancaek back to my location as well? Since he was sticking close to me, and so like the bullet in the example case given in the armory description he'd return to me safe and sound (and repaired, presumably?)

If I cannot use the reset for some reason, then just pop a will stim and suppress the Avatar influence. Also do this if the Avatar is still acting up after the reset.

Also, the rest of those shuttles, can we count them as dealt with? Or are they coming back for another try?

The reset will work...though you better hope those 5 seconds don't intersect when the bomb actually went off or the blast will be there too.

Pancaek's ships went to space, where did you send yours?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2016, 03:35:40 pm »

Pancaek: Exo [1] Powerful though you may be, I think attempting to block a nuke is the definition of extenuating circumstances.
((I don't know man, I've got some experience with this kind of thing. Same old, same old.))

Unless I get 5 second reset or something, try to form a body from the stuff I'm touching on the bottom of the sea. Get comrade to grab me and fly me out, back towards our previous position. If comrade can't do that, just walk over the bottom back towards land, having comrade guide me the right way.

If I do get five-second reset and everything turns out good, high-five comrade dimitri.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:32:58 pm by Pancaek »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2016, 04:51:10 pm »

((Lars has robot legs, but I'm going to assume that since his spine is still fleshy the damage is the same.))

Thank you, Algis, for keeping me alive.

Damage report!  See what's still functional.  Can the suit stand?  Can any more hostiles be sensed?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2016, 10:53:52 am »

The reset will work...though you better hope those 5 seconds don't intersect when the bomb actually went off or the blast will be there too.

Even if that happened, I don't think that would do much damage. After all, only a tiny fraction of the blast, the part that was around the avatar at the moment, would be transported along. Next to that, during the blast the suit was exposed to several seconds, at the least, of extreme heat, pressure and radiation while again the 5 sec reset would only take along a momentary moment of the explosion, further lowering the damage potential. Finally, consider how all the hot pressurized gasses inside the 5 sec reset range, who in a regular blast are surrounded by similar gasses, will now be surrounded by (hotter than normal, but not nearly equally hot) normal gas at a more normal pressure. So, if part of the blast travels back along it can now 'blow out' into the environment easily, so a lot of the pressure and heat will be safely directed away and not be really damaging.

All of this together leads me to believe that even if part of the blast traveled back, it wouldn't really do much more damage than a normal low yield conventional explosive would to an avatar (aka nothing).

As far as I could send them. If we can send them far into space, sure, then do that I guess.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:57:40 am by Radio Controlled »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2016, 03:48:57 pm »

Not again...

Guess I got lucky I was in a partially destroyed area.

Uhh... Try to move, I guess?
Yeah, try to break free and look around and see what's going on. Any enemies or civilians around? Or any Lurker?
If I can't move, maybe fire my mining laser a bit to get some wiggle room?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2016, 10:49:56 am »

You revert back to 5 seconds ago, which was luckily before the bomb hit (Thanks to a good roll) and you bring Pancaek with you.

Pancaek: Exo [1] Powerful though you may be, I think attempting to block a nuke is the definition of extenuating circumstances.
((I don't know man, I've got some experience with this kind of thing. Same old, same old.))

Unless I get 5 second reset or something, try to form a body from the stuff I'm touching on the bottom of the sea. Get comrade to grab me and fly me out, back towards our previous position. If comrade can't do that, just walk over the bottom back towards land, having comrade guide me the right way.

If I do get five-second reset and everything turns out good, high-five comrade dimitri.

You high five comrade.

((Lars has robot legs, but I'm going to assume that since his spine is still fleshy the damage is the same.))

Thank you, Algis, for keeping me alive.

Damage report!  See what's still functional.  Can the suit stand?  Can any more hostiles be sensed?
Hmmm. Legs don't work. Gonna make using the foot controls on this thing rather hard. You'll have to do it via the hand driven controls but thats gonna kill your response and movement time. Lets see...suit basic functions still going; armor mostly gone, specially on the front. Lost a few cameras. Piece of debris jammed ion the left elbow joint. Weapons still online, thankfully.

Even if that happened, I don't think that would do much damage. After all, only a tiny fraction of the blast, the part that was around the avatar at the moment, would be transported along. Next to that, during the blast the suit was exposed to several seconds, at the least, of extreme heat, pressure and radiation while again the 5 sec reset would only take along a momentary moment of the explosion, further lowering the damage potential. Finally, consider how all the hot pressurized gasses inside the 5 sec reset range, who in a regular blast are surrounded by similar gasses, will now be surrounded by (hotter than normal, but not nearly equally hot) normal gas at a more normal pressure. So, if part of the blast travels back along it can now 'blow out' into the environment easily, so a lot of the pressure and heat will be safely directed away and not be really damaging.

All of this together leads me to believe that even if part of the blast traveled back, it wouldn't really do much more damage than a normal low yield conventional explosive would to an avatar (aka nothing).

As far as I could send them. If we can send them far into space, sure, then do that I guess.
We'll assume you just pointed the thing at the horizon and fired to set the portal. So they're not gone, but they'll take a while to get back.

Not again...

Guess I got lucky I was in a partially destroyed area.

Uhh... Try to move, I guess?
Yeah, try to break free and look around and see what's going on. Any enemies or civilians around? Or any Lurker?
If I can't move, maybe fire my mining laser a bit to get some wiggle room?

You dig yourself out of the rubble and look around.

Hmm..well the wall is gone, you can tell that much. But the blast has raised a mushroom cloud and a haze of dust so dense that you can't really see more than a 100 or so feet. Except for the burning homes. You can see the fires from them just fine; little twinkling yellow-orange points of light in a sea of flowing brown dust.

Yeah...this is about right. This is what you've come to expect.

So, should we try to gather all the ashen dead or just get this done before something worse happens?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2016, 11:34:00 am »

Would it be possible to set up a portal in front of us and one at the horizon (pointing in our direction), and shoot through the portals and precisely target their engines? From what we've seen earlier, those engines are unshielded, right? After all, Flint was able to shoot out a few engines while not physically near/on top of the shuttle (it had slipped under him).

If this should indeed be possible, then do that, use laser to target engines. Do a low intensity 'probing shot' first to doublecheck if the engines are indeed unshielded (to prevent accidental lurker summoning) then start hitting engines.

Oh, and order the gunship to start maneuvering into a position where it is able to shoot at the engines without setting off the automanips.

Faith action in case the Owl doesn't show up: fix the priest to the best of her capabilities (IO seemed to be on board with the plan, by the way, though if you don't wanna run it I'd understand why).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 03:41:37 pm by Radio Controlled »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2016, 08:45:46 pm »

See if I can unstick my stuck arm.  Get that debris out of there and see what can be done.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2016, 01:32:36 pm »

Fix up Lars's battlesuit as best as I can. Try to transfer some armour from the back to the front.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10