Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Mission 27: Earthquake team  (Read 24376 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 27: Earthquake team
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2016, 05:15:23 pm »

"Much obliged, mother hen."

Go stand near Miyamoto, get under his protective wings(avatar cloak) should shit go awry.

For the attack, wait until our gunship has done its attack run. If there are still enemy shuttles in the sky then, say the below spoiler and send Comrade Dimitri to attack them, without going over there himself if at all possible

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2016, 10:56:00 am »

Use a non-nuclear round targeted at the largest ship.  Switch to Raduga afterwards to target others that survive Miya's onslaught.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2016, 10:44:00 am »

Find a good place to hide. Close to the fires

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2016, 12:11:56 pm »

Find a good place to hide. Close to the fires
You go huddle in a fire, hiding yourself in the smoke. It's actually quite effective at keeping you hidden and your suit doesn't give a shit about a low grade fire. But it does somewhat compromise your capacity to see as well.

"Much obliged, mother hen."

Go stand near Miyamoto, get under his protective wings(avatar cloak) should shit go awry.

For the attack, wait until our gunship has done its attack run. If there are still enemy shuttles in the sky then, say the below spoiler and send Comrade Dimitri to attack them, without going over there himself if at all possible

You walk over and hide behind miya's impressive bulk, peeking out occasionally to see whats happening.

Use a non-nuclear round targeted at the largest ship.  Switch to Raduga afterwards to target others that survive Miya's onslaught.
You take aim at the distant ship and fire a single non-nuclear round at it. You can tell from the moment you shoot that the shot is bad. A glancing blow at best. You watch it go, zooming in to the outer range of your camera's magnification. When it hits, something strange happens. It seems to glance off, not hitting the ship but instead bouncing off thin air. And then, air around it shimmers and ripples with a metallic sheen, forming flowing geometric shapes before disappearing.
[2]
Thats weird.

Sure, but guess who just rolled well/badly! Your team!
Hooray!/?

By the way, unrelated note, Mystery Incorporated, the rather recent incarnation of scooby doo, was actually really good.  I recommend it. It gets pretty dark.
This man, his word is good. As was that show.

The orbital cam pipes you images of at least a dozen shuttles moving towards the island in formation. They're big ones too, bigger than the ones we normally use. Maybe bombers as well as troop transports? Maybe just not as well miniaturized, who can say.

For our own gunship that should still be around:

Is that formation tight enough to be vulnerable to a large yield guided airburst missile (or 1/8th kiloton nuke)? Costs 5 vouchers.
If yes, hit them with one of those, paying 5 vouchers.
If not, let gunship engage with lasers, doing three independent 5sec sweeps (costing 3 vouchers), try to damage multiple targets if possible. If cutting laser strength doesn't seem like it'd damage those shuttles, upgrade to two 3sec sweeps (of higher strength, mind). Gunship info here, as reminder: http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/High_Altitude_Gunship
If Lars will be using his nuclear/regular long range gauss round, work in conjunction with him to ensure max application of damage between him and gunship.

For myself, either engage with laser once they are in range (max power min diffusion) or open up two portals in front of two shuttles so they crash into each other. Try not to stand right in the open, if at all possible. Keep an eye out in the surrounding in case this is the diversion for an ambush.

"Ok people, look alive, we have unidentified shuttles incoming. At least a dozen big shuttles moving toward us in formation, might be troop transports or gunships or both, hard to say. Considered sending out a warning message first, but that would tip them off and probably get them to make evasive maneuvers, so we probably shouldn't do that.

I'm gonna let the gunship take a shot at it first, but I still want you guys to get into formation. Spread out a bit in case they retaliate, weapons free once they come into range. Pan, you can use one of your teammates as a shield or try to get out of sight, your choice. Lars, you can use your special long range surprise, though make sure we are not caught in the blast radius if you do.

[4]
You watch Lars' shot and put two and two together.

"That shuttle, maybe the others too, are equipped with protective automanips. It might be a very bad idea to stress them..."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2016, 01:19:33 pm »

"That shuttle, maybe the others too, are equipped with protective automanips. It might be a very bad idea to stress them..."

"So yeah, unless we all want to be on the receiving end of a manip overload, I suggest holding off on direct attacks until we think of something, or run out of options. I might have an idea, basically involving combination of pocket dimension portals to get them close one by one and Flint's containment gun to grab the shuttle, maybe after trying to disable the engines. I doubt the back of the engines is also shielded, that'd probably interfere with the escaping gasses. We might want to check in with Steve first though. Oh, and if any of you happen to know how to hack into those shuttles, now's a good time to mention that."

1) For starters, would it be possible to open a portal in front of 1 (or more if they're flying really close) shuttle, and opening another portal as far away from us as I can facing away, to basically 'teleport' them far away and force them to turn around again, buying us time?
Drawing to make it clear:

|<----O
                                                                          |---->

| = pocket dimension portal, first and second
O = enemy shuttle
----> = travel route

If yes, do so.

2) Next to that, would the engines of one of these shuttles also be protected by the automanip? I would think not, since then the exhaust gasses would continuously trigger them, but unsure.

3) Is it possible to disable one of these automanips without making it overload? How sensitive are they anyways? Like, if a shuttle crashes into the sea, that's probably gonna overload them, right?

4) Could Flint's containment gun contain one of these shuttles if it were close, if its engines were still on? And what about if it's engines were off? Could he then 'capture' the shuttle and safely deposit it somewhere (eg inside pocket dimension holding cell)?

5) Could we hack into those shuttles and take over control?

6) Could Steve pinpoint the exact location of the automanip on one of those shuttles? If yes, would it be possible to disable it with a precision manip/Comrade spess magic strike without triggering overload?

7) Should they attack us with long range gauss weapons/missiles/other kinetic projectiles, have the gunship use its precision lasers to knock out the projectiles if it can.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:45:02 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2016, 02:10:28 pm »

"Maybe I could try to have Dimitri appear inside of the shield? I mean, he's done the whole phasing into existance in a different spot before, so it might work."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2016, 04:47:15 pm »

: Hehe. Automanipulators. Mutually assured destruction. We can't destroy them, without destroying reality too. Thus they are forcing us to allow them to approach and land or attack us. A very good plan. Or, at least, it would have been, if they hadn't made one mistake: They flew towards the island Flint Westwood is on. :

: Priest, when I'm close, can you please nuke the area between me and them, thank you. :
: Crazy guy? Wanna take your Shiva-Pope dude and go have some fun? We probably can't get them all before they get here, but if we do this right, we can get enough. Miyamoto and Lars can hold the fort until we get back. :

Fly towards the shuttles, grab Pancaek and perch him on my shoulder if he wants to come too. We're going to pirate these airships, yarrr!

I'd like to have an underwater nuke explode in front of them, creating a cloud of hot mist. Lars or shuttle can do it, although I'd prefer Lars.

The goal is to get close enough to physically get through their shields, since if they're like automanipulators we know, they  shouldn't be activated by large and relatively slow moving objects. Maybe with the help of my magic eating sphere. I won't go into details since I assume I won't get that far in one turn.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:54:10 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2016, 11:36:23 pm »

"Brother Flint, you want me to do what now?  Fire a nuclear round... at the water?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2016, 12:12:48 am »

: Yep. Can't attack them directly, so we can do so indirectly. Explode the water. Create a large hot cloud. Make them unable to see. (It's not like seeing them is doing us any good right now.) Confuse their automanipulator sensors. With the water covering me, I can fly close and bypass their shields. :

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2016, 12:26:44 am »

"If you insist, Brother Flint.  May Algis shield you."

Follow Plan Flint.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2016, 07:32:25 am »

"Yeah, uh, nah. Call me crazy if you want, but I'm not really feeling like flying my one weak point right into the automanipulators and in front of their guns. Good luck with that, though. If you figure out what plane has the automanip, radio it in and I'll send Comrade up there to help out."

Do not go up with Flint. Stay close to Miyamoto. If the planes attack, hide underneat Miyamotot's cloak and feel very strongly/command Comrade Dimitri that I really wish that attack never reached us.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2016, 01:13:05 pm »

"So yeah, unless we all want to be on the receiving end of a manip overload, I suggest holding off on direct attacks until we think of something, or run out of options. I might have an idea, basically involving combination of pocket dimension portals to get them close one by one and Flint's containment gun to grab the shuttle, maybe after trying to disable the engines. I doubt the back of the engines is also shielded, that'd probably interfere with the escaping gasses. We might want to check in with Steve first though. Oh, and if any of you happen to know how to hack into those shuttles, now's a good time to mention that."

1) For starters, would it be possible to open a portal in front of 1 (or more if they're flying really close) shuttle, and opening another portal as far away from us as I can facing away, to basically 'teleport' them far away and force them to turn around again, buying us time?
Drawing to make it clear:

|<----O
                                                                          |---->

| = pocket dimension portal, first and second
O = enemy shuttle
----> = travel route

If yes, do so.

2) Next to that, would the engines of one of these shuttles also be protected by the automanip? I would think not, since then the exhaust gasses would continuously trigger them, but unsure.

3) Is it possible to disable one of these automanips without making it overload? How sensitive are they anyways? Like, if a shuttle crashes into the sea, that's probably gonna overload them, right?

4) Could Flint's containment gun contain one of these shuttles if it were close, if its engines were still on? And what about if it's engines were off? Could he then 'capture' the shuttle and safely deposit it somewhere (eg inside pocket dimension holding cell)?

5) Could we hack into those shuttles and take over control?

6) Could Steve pinpoint the exact location of the automanip on one of those shuttles? If yes, would it be possible to disable it with a precision manip/Comrade spess magic strike without triggering overload?

7) Should they attack us with long range gauss weapons/missiles/other kinetic projectiles, have the gunship use its precision lasers to knock out the projectiles if it can.

1) Yes
[2]
You manage to get one of them. Not even the lead one. But you get one.

2.Hard to say, but it might cut off just before the exhaust. You could test it with a few shots.
3.Depends on their strength. The overload isn't the fear. Stressing them might draw in you know what.
4. It could, Though it might just drag flint or it might just smash against the inside of the containment bubble.
5. If you can connect to them, probably.
6.No, he could guess but it's a guess.
7. Okie dokie. For the moment they're still flying in. You got a turn until they're right on top of you.
: Hehe. Automanipulators. Mutually assured destruction. We can't destroy them, without destroying reality too. Thus they are forcing us to allow them to approach and land or attack us. A very good plan. Or, at least, it would have been, if they hadn't made one mistake: They flew towards the island Flint Westwood is on. :

: Priest, when I'm close, can you please nuke the area between me and them, thank you. :
: Crazy guy? Wanna take your Shiva-Pope dude and go have some fun? We probably can't get them all before they get here, but if we do this right, we can get enough. Miyamoto and Lars can hold the fort until we get back. :

Fly towards the shuttles, grab Pancaek and perch him on my shoulder if he wants to come too. We're going to pirate these airships, yarrr!

I'd like to have an underwater nuke explode in front of them, creating a cloud of hot mist. Lars or shuttle can do it, although I'd prefer Lars.

The goal is to get close enough to physically get through their shields, since if they're like automanipulators we know, they  shouldn't be activated by large and relatively slow moving objects. Maybe with the help of my magic eating sphere. I won't go into details since I assume I won't get that far in one turn.

"If you insist, Brother Flint.  May Algis shield you."

Follow Plan Flint.
Lars hears the plan, shrugs and takes aim. It's a long shot, quite literally, but an easy one. He lobs the nuke over towards the distant sea and gives flint a thumbs up.

Flint waits a few seconds before lifting off himself. He's halfway to the right height when the nuke goes off. It goes off only a tiny fraction of a second after hitting the water, so the blast is shallow, blowing equal amounts of vaporized water and nuclear fire into the air. The shuttles scatter, either breaking formation or being physically shoved out of it by the blast wave. Flint manages to stay on course, towards what I assume is the leading shuttle. He reaches the right altitude but he's moving quite quickly towards it, and it towards him.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2016, 05:10:44 pm »

((I thought long and hard, trying to come up with a plan that ends with me playing  chicken with the bomber. And I succeeded.))

If Miyamoto is willing and if the partially failed shot means the air is clear enough for Miyamoto to have a chance of hitting the shuttle:
Fly full speed towards the shuttle while using radio and speakers to call it a wuss and generally goad it to fly towards me.
Ask Miyamoto put a direction reversing portal in front of the ship. Dodge it at the last second. Trust the heart of the dice. Like I did the first time Miyamoto and I did something as fun and as dangerous.
If all went well, my relative speed is now small compared to the ship (since its speed reversed and mine didn't) and I can hopefully fly through its shield from behind, where the engines might be uncovered or their heat might help mask me from the sensors. Then, once inside, try to laser my way through like a Sentinel from Matrix, searching for the automanipulator.
Or I can try shooting it in the ass if I can't catch up to it and I have a clear shot. Use either a small laser sweep first to test it. Then followed up with either a containment bubble forming a hardlight bubble inside the automanipulator's sphere to allow me to slow it down/catch up to it (comments about lassoing sky cows optional) or just a big red rainbow cannon blast to its ass depending on how close I am.

In all other cases where I can't do that for some reason:
The plan is to dodge, try to match speed with the lead shuttle (from behind, if possible) and then try to slowly fly through its shield (with my shield disabled, in case it matters). Or shoot it in the ass if it's uncovered, as described above.

Edit: Oh! And don't forget to try to fire at them if they fire at me, just in case they have to lower their shields to do so. Although my first priority would probably be to shoot whatever they're shooting at me and dodge, if it's something I can dodge.

Edit2: And if I can't go through their shield for some reason, then maybe try using the magic eater to make a hole through the shield and laser through it to destroy the automanipulator.

Edit3: The reason I want to try to catch up with the bomber and go through its automanipulator instead of outright destroying it is that if I can go through its shield and reach its juicy insides, I can then connect to it and maybe to the other shuttles, thus giving us a chance of disabling their shields through Aux. Or I could simply give Miyamoto the exact location of the automanipulators for him to fry them with radiation or whatever he does.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:20:50 am by Parisbre56 »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2016, 05:16:35 pm »

For now, keep Comrade Dimitri ready to deflect any attacks from the ships on our positions.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2016, 04:59:29 am »

((Dang, the one time pw updates our missions early is when there's a crazy plan in the works and I'm not in time to respond to it. Oh well, we're committed now, might as well :v

Also, I noticed that putting part of my rp in the post together with the turn leads to other people responding in here as well instead of rp thread, so I'll try not to do that anymore from now on.))

Use portals in the way that Flint needs for his jolly little stunt.

If possible, do a weak laser attack at the engine of one of the shuttles as a test to see if the engines are shielded, or if those could be taken out selectively.

If any more actions for this turn, keep using portals to send back enemy shuttles as far away as possible. By the way, what is that 1 shuttle doing that I send away already?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:17:17 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10