Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Mission 27: Earthquake team  (Read 24310 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 27: Earthquake team
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2016, 02:47:54 pm »

Could I use the laser to cut down (at an angle, so the rest slides off) part of the wall so that it still acts as a chokepoint, but also gives us decent view (and firing angle) to the area beyond?

Can I patch into the birds-eye view of the area that the gunship has?

Next, scan the lane from the gate to the main building with cameyes, can I spot any hidden exits or explosives or anything like that?
If there's time left, scan the main building/mountain, any spots where snipers or other ne'erdowells could engage us from?

As in cut off parts of the top of the wall? Remember that all this is built on a hill so you'd basically have to lower the wall to the point of uselessness in order to get a good look at the city beyond it because of the slope.

And yes, we can patch in a birds-eye view via the orbital cams.

You see nothing hidden along the stairway.

Well, above the cave entrance is the mountain top. It's a big place with a lot of crags and rocks to hide behind, so theoretically anyone could hide up there if they wanted. But you see no signs of any heat signatures or movement.

Get up on the wall and start setting up cameras on either side of every other tower to ensure we can see behind the wall and have some redundancy.
Something like this for the wall:

Spoiler: Wall (click to show/hide)
And for the gate:
Spoiler: Gate (click to show/hide)
If the wall has no towers, then just choose an appropriate distance.
If it can't be done that way, then just place the cameras around as best I can.

Are there any cameras on the wall? If yes, are they wired? Can I see where the wires are going using X-rays?

Edit: Is Lars' LESHO capable of indirect fire, like an artillery?

Pssst. There's no towers. This wall isn't great wall of china style with turreted towers every so often. It's just a giant wall. Nothing special.  But you can set up cameras, thats fine. We'll just have you space them equidistant. And very redundant, by the look of your diagrams.

There are no preexisting cameras on the wall.

And yes, it is. Though he'd have to manually dial back the force of the thing and then lob the shot in. It's not designed for it but it's certainly possible. In fact it would even be possible to do something akin to firing the rifle straight up and letting the built-in rockets guide the shot in like a missile.

Hit up that spot.  Can I use the Raduga and Battlesuit Strength to make some impromptu fortifications?  If so, make it happen.
You fly up and set yourself down right on the top of the section of wall that spans the gate (it's sort of like this but at a larger size rather than something like this). You gather up some chunks of stone that Miyas lasering dislodged and pile them up into a makeshift fortification. It's not pretty, but it will sure as hell stop anything short of a rocket.

Speaking of which, you can see movement down in the city below. There are a lot of people down there, dots skittering between the buildings, but a group of them are gathering in a little courtyard near the stairs that lead up to the gate.

"Possible hostiles spotted. Or maybe an oblivious group of tourists. Maybe both."

Loiter around the corpses for a while, look for anything that could make for a trophy. Medals/neat looking guns or something.

Converse with Comrade Dimitri (Id)

"You know Comrade, I really like the way you handled those guys back there. I think this may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
Do heads count? Gold fillings?  Some of these guys have already adorned themselves with trophies, necklaces or things pinned to their uniforms, bits of metal, teeth, cloth, rings, that sort of thing.  But they hold no significance to you without knowledge of the story behind them.  You decide to take the necklace of a man who was wielding a rocket launcher; it's a leather strip on which he has hung about 2 dozen rings, and a few desiccated fingers.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2016, 02:53:34 pm »

Use gunship cams to take as close a look to that group of potential hostiles as I can manage. Also take a look at the wider area, to see if there's anything sneaking up on us or anything airborne coming in.

Take up position near the gate, but stay behind the wall for now, out of sight. Engage with laser if that group engages in hostilities.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 06:15:37 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2016, 03:05:21 pm »

Fly closer to the potential group of hostiles. Can I see what kind of guns they're carrying with the battlesuit's cameyes?

If they got anything serious and they look like they're going to use it, then make sure to disarm the ones carrying the dangerous weapons. And by that I mean remove their arms with the mining laser, hopefully cauterizing the wound in the process. If they survive, then they can leave, but they should leave their arms behind.

If they only got things like gauss rifles and grenades or are unarmed, then land close to them and say:
"Hello friends. You should really be evacuating this area right now. It's for your own good."
If they panic and/or attempt any ineffectual attacks against me, try to calmly calm them down and get them to surrender and evacuate.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:45:50 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2016, 03:28:11 pm »

Keep Raduga at the ready, watching them.  If shooting starts, make lots of half-men.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2016, 05:07:55 pm »

Go stand near the wall, somewhere close to Brother Lars. Keep a watch out for possible hostiles. Duck behind the wall and take potshots with my blaster pistol if we are attacked.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 11:19:08 am »

Gonna put you on hold till later...hydrocodone is kicking in so this would be even more half-assed than usual. Also, gotta find an ortho to get a cast on this thing rather than just a splint.

Crutches suck but not as much as a house with lots of stairs. Fuck.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 12:13:08 pm »

Gonna put you on hold till later...hydrocodone is kicking in so this would be even more half-assed than usual. Also, gotta find an ortho to get a cast on this thing rather than just a splint.

Crutches suck but not as much as a house with lots of stairs. Fuck.

No worries, we'll savor the wait and entertain ourselves with thoughts of ever so slightly high skelebros.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 02:33:52 pm »

Use gunship cams to take as close a look to that group of potential hostiles as I can manage. Also take a look at the wider area, to see if there's anything sneaking up on us or anything airborne coming in.

Take up position near the gate, but stay behind the wall for now, out of sight. Engage with laser if that group engages in hostilities.

The cameras show that the gathering group of people do indeed appear to be hostiles; they're wearing similar gear to the ones you've already dispatched and carrying weapons.

You look across the larger island area; there are more people moving toward the capital building, but nothing you can see that is "sneaking"

You walk over to the gate and post up behind the wall next to it.

Fly closer to the potential group of hostiles. Can I see what kind of guns they're carrying with the battlesuit's cameyes?

If they got anything serious and they look like they're going to use it, then make sure to disarm the ones carrying the dangerous weapons. And by that I mean remove their arms with the mining laser, hopefully cauterizing the wound in the process. If they survive, then they can leave, but they should leave their arms behind.

If they only got things like gauss rifles and grenades or are unarmed, then land close to them and say:
"Hello friends. You should really be evacuating this area right now. It's for your own good."
If they panic and/or attempt any ineffectual attacks against me, try to calmly calm them down and get them to surrender and evacuate.
You launch off the stairs and fly over toward the courtyard. You pass the wall and get within maybe a few hundred feet of being above the group when the rockets start coming in. Your solid light protection field activated the moment you took off, so it takes the the hit, but the force of the exposion is enough to throw you off target.  You spiral down a dozen meters before righting yourself and landing atop a nearby home. As soon as you get your footing you bring up the mining laser and start making careful sweeps. You disarm several of the attackers but your insistance on careful non-lethal shots means that the majority of them scatter into the neighborhoods around the gate, hiding god knows where in all the buildings and alleyways.

Keep Raduga at the ready, watching them.  If shooting starts, make lots of half-men.
You pick off a few but the smoke and chaos from Flint's arrival makes it hard to get a clear shot.

Go stand near the wall, somewhere close to Brother Lars. Keep a watch out for possible hostiles. Duck behind the wall and take potshots with my blaster pistol if we are attacked.
Pot shots from here would be doomed to miss, so you just stand around and wait.

Comrade idly taps his sabre against the wall.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2016, 02:43:31 pm »

"Ingram, may your hand guide my shots!"

Keep cutting dudes in half.  Collateral damage to structures is not an issue, but let's not cut civilians down.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2016, 04:22:24 pm »

"Don't run! We are your friends!"

Get down and destroy their weapons to make sure nobody else will try to use them. Keep disarming hostile people, giving priority to those with missile launchers.

If there's nobody around worth disarming, then fly high up in the sky and find a nice empty area. I'm going to create a distraction. A distracting lightning storm. Edit: Actually, I got a better idea: check the map of the island and see if I could use localized ion storms around the island to cut it off or at least limit the avenues of approach.
Edit2: If there's nobody left to disarm, find someone to interrogate. Ask them for access to their radio and/or a way to contact whoever is in charge.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:32:55 am by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2016, 07:59:00 am »

Engage hostiles as convenient. With laser. Keep an eye out through the orbital cams. Try to get an idea of the size and layout of the neighborhood beyond the gate. About where are we in relation to the other 5 teams?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:06:49 am by Radio Controlled »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2016, 02:15:01 pm »

Feeling a bit frustrated at not being able to attack or do much at all, Pancaek speaks to Comrade Dimitri while looking at the hostiles scatter.

"Just look at them, comrade. We offer them the best they'll ever get to make it out of doomed universe. And what do they do? They come at us wearing rags and wielding shitty rifles and rpg's. And you know what bothers me most about this? Of course you do, but I'll tell you anyway. I fucking hate the fact that I'm standing here on this wall, wielding a god damned shitty laser pistol, unable to ever attack them. I used to be able to just vaporize them from right here, rip the asunder like wet rags with nothing but violent thoughts. I walked among the very fabrics of our universe.

But now these assholes are down there, laughing in my goddamn face while I can't do shit, and I don't even have a newbie to yell at! YOU HEAR ME, YOU WORTHLESS SACKS OF SHIT?! A FEW WEEKS AGO I WOULD HAVE FUCKING BOILED YOUR EYEBALLS AND RIPPED YOU INTO A HUNDRED PIECES!"

He sighs, and turns to Comrade Dimitri

"I am angry, Comrade, angry about elves those schmucks. I just want to see them torn asunder so we can get back to doing our jobs."

Talk to Comrade Dimitri in impotent rage. fire shot with my blaster pistol twoards the hostiles anyway, just for the heck of it.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2016, 02:09:53 pm »

Wander into the scene with my posse of unarmed buddies, hands clearly up.

"Oh boys, they got a damn Avatar... Clearly not the standard rebel rabble they told us about."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2016, 11:38:14 pm »

((AND DOWN GOES AOSHIMA))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2016, 02:51:22 pm »

"Ingram, may your hand guide my shots!"

Keep cutting dudes in half.  Collateral damage to structures is not an issue, but let's not cut civilians down.
Unfortunately civilians have a habit of being in civilian structures. Strange but true. So, for your own sake, we'll have you attempt to pick off only those who make themselves obvious as non-civilians.

"Don't run! We are your friends!"

Get down and destroy their weapons to make sure nobody else will try to use them. Keep disarming hostile people, giving priority to those with missile launchers.

If there's nobody around worth disarming, then fly high up in the sky and find a nice empty area. I'm going to create a distraction. A distracting lightning storm. Edit: Actually, I got a better idea: check the map of the island and see if I could use localized ion storms around the island to cut it off or at least limit the avenues of approach.
Edit2: If there's nobody left to disarm, find someone to interrogate. Ask them for access to their radio and/or a way to contact whoever is in charge.
You hop down into the courtyard as the men hightail it into the buildings. You fire a few times at people who look threatening but prioritize crushing any weapons you see and keeping an eye out for those wielding rockets and heavy ordinance.  One peaks his head out of an upstairs window of a near by two story home. In response you do some quick renovations and turn it into a one story fixer-uper.

Engage hostiles as convenient. With laser. Keep an eye out through the orbital cams. Try to get an idea of the size and layout of the neighborhood beyond the gate. About where are we in relation to the other 5 teams?
It's not really necessary for now, eh?

Other side of the world, boy-o.

Feeling a bit frustrated at not being able to attack or do much at all, Pancaek speaks to Comrade Dimitri while looking at the hostiles scatter.

"Just look at them, comrade. We offer them the best they'll ever get to make it out of doomed universe. And what do they do? They come at us wearing rags and wielding shitty rifles and rpg's. And you know what bothers me most about this? Of course you do, but I'll tell you anyway. I fucking hate the fact that I'm standing here on this wall, wielding a god damned shitty laser pistol, unable to ever attack them. I used to be able to just vaporize them from right here, rip the asunder like wet rags with nothing but violent thoughts. I walked among the very fabrics of our universe.

But now these assholes are down there, laughing in my goddamn face while I can't do shit, and I don't even have a newbie to yell at! YOU HEAR ME, YOU WORTHLESS SACKS OF SHIT?! A FEW WEEKS AGO I WOULD HAVE FUCKING BOILED YOUR EYEBALLS AND RIPPED YOU INTO A HUNDRED PIECES!"

He sighs, and turns to Comrade Dimitri

"I am angry, Comrade, angry about elves those schmucks. I just want to see them torn asunder so we can get back to doing our jobs."

Talk to Comrade Dimitri in impotent rage. fire shot with my blaster pistol twoards the hostiles anyway, just for the heck of it.
Your id stares at you for a moment, listening. [5] Once you've stopped speaking, he turns to face the courtyard. He raises one hand, one of the hands holding a scroll. The scroll unfurls and hovers above his palm for a moment before bursting into green flame. From that burning scroll appears a hazy image, a crystal ball like projection of someplace far away. A star field and the dark ring of an asteroid belt. It wavers in mid air for a moment before vanishing.

You get a sudden feeling that your team mates that are hanging around in the courtyard should no longer be doing that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10