Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Mission 27:Avalanche team (ready)  (Read 27516 times)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 27:Avalanche team
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 02:05:55 pm »

Consolidated action above to add contact the locals by radio.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:11:13 pm by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 03:48:28 pm »

Action edited to include "diplomacy".

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 05:14:53 pm »

Action edited to include the slight chance of a peaceful solution to all of our problems.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 02:19:06 pm »

Wave!

Then drop a few dozen feet, before pulling out far above the ground with my rockets, slowly descending to the northernmost point of the crescent, and flitting in about twenty feet above the ground looking for crowds of civilians, especially ones doing interesting things or holding weapons. Make my way from there to the Southern ridge the other shuttles are parked on, trying not to miss anything.

20 feet above the ground? Well lets see how well you can dodge rocks.
[6]
You fly in close to the largest crowd you can find, but they seem a bit stirred up by the recent announcement from one of the other newbie teams and several angry youths attempt to bring you down.  You dodge through their refuse projectiles with relative ease but get so caught up in your show-offery that you plow straight through a two story shanty building, lose control and plunge straight into one of the garbage and waste strewn gaps in the floating Hooverville.

Good thing you're wearing a sealed suit because you just swan dived into sewage.

If you've processed Hurricane Team already, and this action succeeded:
Establish a text-to-speech connection between Dr. Gordon Freeman's (Avalanche-7's) wristpad and the mob-facing radio frequency.
Then use that connection to reassure the population that ARM is here to help, and that any resistance will simply result in more death. Use General Knowledge and Charisma.
Otherwise:

Look out the side hatch and overwatch with a gauss rifle loaded with HP rounds.

[1] It's been a bad/good day for rolls.

You send several posts of "..." to the population.

One of the most concise replies, of the thousands coming in since whats his face opened the channels to the civilians (Great idea by the way),  is:

"Oh god we're being saved by JRPG protagonists"

Not the kind of bear Kate would be interested in, but that is interesting.
Well now we know Kate's preference in men runs towards the rotund and hairy.

Move to shuttle to hover near team Firestorm and Blizzard to provide close-air support. Side with the gun-door facing "Front" - the general direction of the vet teams' advance.

Scream "Say Hello to my Little Friend!" across the entire spectrum of available radio frequencies as we open the door to unveil our laser turret.

Hey look, a newbie team doing what they're supposed to be doing!

Imagine that.

"SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND! PREPARE YOUR BUTT, I'M GOING IN AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT!"

If both Arty's and Freeman's attempts fail, Trier starts blasting away with his laser turret at anything that looks vaguely threatening once he hears the words all mobsters dread. Broadcast this over the ships speakers "I'M GONNA MAKE YOU AN OFFER YOU CAN'T REFUSE. GET INTO A PORTAL OR DIE!

You start broadcasting threats of violence over the loudspeaker.

You can feel the exasperation of the Vet team drifting up from below like a heat haze.

Arty slaps the back of Trier's helmet. "Oi! I've just volunteered for PR, and you decide to make my job more difficult?"

Record a message: "THIS IS THE ARM. We are here to help, please be orderly and move into the portals we're opening as quickly as possible. To protect the people from UMW agression, we are deploying troops; for your safety please follow their instructions."
Start PA'ing and broadcasting the message on repeat on all commercial civilian frequencies.

Use the frequency supplied by Hurricane 4 to contact the locals. Assist Dr. Freeman in calming and directing them.

You broadcast the message along with all the others that have been broadcast this turn.

These civilians are probably a heck of a lot more confused than they are reassured.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 02:33:59 pm »

Kate hooks herself into one of the drop lines in preparation for dropping out the back to provide fire support.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2016, 03:21:26 pm »

Sigh. Overwatch.
Think about the wayfarer religion, given that I very likely know about it and have nothng better to do.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:14:14 am by Egan_BW »

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2016, 03:23:31 pm »

Provide close air support for wherever we are with the turret.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:06:22 pm by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2016, 04:39:06 pm »

Hover around Konrad's defensive position in an overwatchy way to provide said fire support. Point our gun turret side towards the front.

Would landing be advantageous? If said position has a good field of view, set the shuttle down. I don't want to be a floating target. If not, just hover and keep a lookout for bad things/people.

Use all the sensor equipment to this shuttle has to check for anything suspicious. Can we pick up any movement on radar? Are we able to detect weapon signatures or power sources?
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2016, 05:41:25 pm »

If the stuff the crowd stands on is relatively weak, use twitchblade and rockets and MkIII stronkness to swim under it and burst out from underneath them, yelling at them to keep calm, obey ARM officers, and not to engage in violence from a few feet in the air. Wave the twitchblade menacingly, and respond to troublemaking with sticky goop grenades, or failing that, unnecessarily extreme violence.
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2016, 12:29:54 pm »

Kate hooks herself into one of the drop lines in preparation for dropping out the back to provide fire support.
You hook yourself in and perch on the edge of the hatch, rope in one hand and weapon in the other. You can see smoke on the horizon. Things should be starting soon.

Sigh. Overwatch.
Think about the wayfarer religion, given that I very likely know about it and have nothng better to do.

Anything specific? Did you look at the warehouse thing? That has a pretty good amount of info about it.  In general, it's an Islam offshoot that believes the true nature of god is revealed through the nature of the universe.  They're obsessed with discovering new worlds and exploring and documenting the unknown.

Provide close air support for wherever we are with the turret.

You keep the turret pointed squarely at the forward path.

Hover around Konrad's defensive position in an overwatchy way to provide said fire support. Point our gun turret side towards the front.

Would landing be advantageous? If said position has a good field of view, set the shuttle down. I don't want to be a floating target. If not, just hover and keep a lookout for bad things/people.

Use all the sensor equipment to this shuttle has to check for anything suspicious. Can we pick up any movement on radar? Are we able to detect weapon signatures or power sources?

Landing would mean that the turrent couldn't get the good overhead view of the area, with all the increased firing angles that it provides. Not to mention the little section of path the vet teams have set up on is already pretty damn crowded.

If the stuff the crowd stands on is relatively weak, use twitchblade and rockets and MkIII stronkness to swim under it and burst out from underneath them, yelling at them to keep calm, obey ARM officers, and not to engage in violence from a few feet in the air. Wave the twitchblade menacingly, and respond to troublemaking with sticky goop grenades, or failing that, unnecessarily extreme violence.
You swim around until you find a section of the floating slum's raft-like foundation that's made of plywood.  You punch straight through it with your best bruce lee "WHATCHAAAA!" and leap up into the horrified crowd above.  You scream at the top of your lungs to keep calm. This message is perhaps  a bit undermined by the fact that you're also waving around a big ass ninja star thats covered in human excrement and used condoms.

After maybe 10 seconds of broadcasting your message of peace and love someone cracks you in the back of the head with a metal pipe and you fall back through the hole and into the water, your helmet ringing like a bell.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2016, 04:17:05 pm »

"Some people just won't be helped."

Punch a different hole, fly a good fifty feet straight up, and throw a goop grenade at whoever annoys me the most. Then patiently dodge rocks, explain to everyone that this is their fault and not mine, and toss an electronade at a firm but fair stun setting if they keep seriously attacking me.

Naturally, use the twitchblade and lethal-setting electronades on anyone attacking me with a real weapon. No need to kill civilians, but anybody threatening more than slapstick is putting more than a few limbs on the line.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:56:12 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2016, 04:18:21 pm »

Shoot the guy who insists on aggravating the people. With lasers, no need for Neo therm yet.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2016, 04:38:49 pm »

Protect Pseudos using the turret for long to medium range threats and the crystalline projector's bayonet feature for any close range threats.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2016, 06:25:57 pm »

USE FULL FORCE OF PURE CHARISMA AND FRANTIC GESTURING TO PREVENT TEAMKILLING. OPPOSED CHA VS WILL.
I forgot if Cha vs. Will even works anymore. If not, a crowbar where it hurts most should suffice.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 06:40:03 pm by Egan_BW »

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2016, 12:23:50 am »

We're not taking shots at each other are we?

Fly around, strafing the crowd to allow our turret gunner to shoot into it if necessary.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12