Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Mission 27:Avalanche team (ready)  (Read 27511 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Mission 27:Avalanche team (ready)
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:46:03 pm »

The Newbie Teams are going down with the express purpose of providing support to the vet teams, and as such you are all gonna be starting in the air, on your Shuttle.  If any of you want to pilot the shuttle manually, now is the time to say so. Otherwise I'm gonna assume standard automatic control taking voice commands from the team leader as the control scheme.  We've modified these shuttles for your specific use:

Normally there's only one exit on these things and thats the back hatch. These have been modified with a side hatch that can be opened in flight as well as a cable system on both the side hatch and the back hatch for quick lowering and raising of people.

We've installed a laser turret on the side hatch side. It draws power from the ship so it has infinite ammo, but be careful about over using it since it draws a lot of juice and as such can only be fired for a few seconds at a time.

We've armored the bottom side of the ship against small arms fire, so it should provide a bit more protection,

There's a broadcast system built in with a mic in the passenger compartment.

There are no stasis pods on this shuttle.

Keep all this in mind.

No sooner have you dropped out of your stasis pods than you're being hurried along by tingling sensations in your brain stem and mildly threatening commands over the intercom.

>I have I dial for the strength of this thing. I find that increasing it by 1 for each minute you're not on your shuttle is an effective method of motivation. Around 12 is where you lose control of your bowels. Hop to it.

You gather your gear and hurry from your rooms, floating towards the shuttles. Someone has helpfully installed a bunch of railings and hand holds along the walls while you were asleep, making moving around in the microgravity a lot easier. An angry looking man with a bat is hovering in the hall, tapping a metal bat against the wall.  He Points the bat at the group as you pass, smiling in a way that makes your skin crawl. You cycle through the hanger airlock and out into the vacuum of the hanger proper. Shuttles area already taking off, silently rising and drifting through the open blast doors and out towards the aquamarine orb of Trinity 3.  There are several steve bodies around; though they're now Robotic rather than synthflesh. One of them directs you to your shuttle, which is clamped to a wall. You launch up and catch hold, swinging into the passenger section.

After everyone is loaded on and strapped in the doors close and lock. The shuttle detaches and after that it's hard to tell exactly what it's doing. You feel acceleration, the occasional course correction and not much else for a while. Eventually, the sensation of gravity fades into being and you can hear the outer atmosphere starting to hiss past.

>We're coming in low and easy, Following Firestorm and Blizzard. Gonna stay up while they go down. Follow their lead, provide cover, bleed the rebel rousers and protect the line. First stop, Semilunar Bay Slums. Announcement system on Auto, weapons free, laser powered and active.

The side door slides open as the shuttle's thrusters kick in hard and bring it to a hover. You're about a quarter of a mile up off the ground, hovering above an expanse of rotten brown. Semilunar Island is a crescent shaped ridge of black stone and mossy vegetation jutting from the sea, and along its inner curve a floating city of shacks and tents has been erected, spreading unevenly out into the ocean for what looks like several miles. It's a great scab of rusted metal, sun rotted plastic tarps, black tires, multicolored nylon ropes, ties and metal barrels, all undulating in the surf. The sea around it is choked with garbage and stained with filth and anaerobic algae.  Hovering below you are Firestorm and Blizzard, their shuttles slowly searching for a good place to land. The other newbie teams hover nearby and you can see helmeted heads peaking out  and looking around.

>Beginning Transmission of the Truth across all radio bands, hijacked television stations and other communication systems as well as the shuttle broadcast system. Get ready teams, things are about to get ugly.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:42:51 am by piecewise »

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 27:Avalanche team
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 05:54:07 pm »

Trier grinned in exhiliration as he popped open the side hatch and manned the laser turret.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 06:01:36 pm »

((PTW for now.))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 06:15:24 pm »

Christopher smiles nervously, forgetting he has the visor down over his faceplate, and looks out over the island.

He takes a few practice swings with the twitchblade, trying to get a feel for how it works. He tries throwing it in very short, contained arcs in the shuttle, less than a metre away from him, pointing away from the exit.

He also gives whoever asks access to his data, preferably only on a one-way feed.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:10:15 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 06:19:03 pm »

Kate loads up the neotherm gauss rounds before leaning over the side to keep a look out for trouble.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 07:55:22 pm »

Arty prepares the weapon and leaves the shuttle. Head for cover, be ready to react.

"Guys, if you give me access to your bio-telemetry, I can better keep tabs on your medical condition. Please whitelist my contact on your biometric channel."
See if I'm getting all the data.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:42:32 am by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 09:04:11 pm »

Kate turns to the others and pops up the helmet so she can talk off the radio.
"I'm right here guys. No need to clog up the channel with senseless arguments about what to do with people I shoot."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 10:16:56 pm »

((Chatter thread is so PW doesn't have to sift through pages of RP to make his posts. We dan't have to chat on radio, but we do have to use that thread.))

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 11:12:41 pm »

((Chatter thread is so PW doesn't have to sift through pages of RP to make his posts. We dan't have to chat on radio, but we do have to use that thread.))
((Yeah, but then we have to sift through even more pages of chatter just to talk when we should just be able to look in our own thread to find out if anyone said anything.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 11:20:26 pm »

((You could just use your team name as a search term to find all relevant messages. I'd say it's a fair trade-off for faster turns seeing as it saves the GM time in having to look through all the chatter.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 11:21:57 pm »

((Screw it, can't be bothered to watch the other thread.))

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
  • Art by Tae (Raspcherry)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 12:08:11 am »

Lysander hops into the pilot seat, switching the controls to manual.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:50:00 pm by Chromatic Wasp »
Come on up to the stage! Are you trembling with fear and excitement?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 12:27:21 am »

Sit and wait for us to be needed.
Give Maegil/Arty his medical data.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:00:22 pm by Egan_BW »

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 09:35:22 am »

"I'm in this team I believe. Also I could man the turret too if Trier goes down."

Say some prayers, commending us all to the Gods of death.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 10:36:41 am »

EDITED MY ACTION
((I'm asking for bio-telemetry data access on the chatter thread.))
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12