Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A nice location I found  (Read 650 times)

RaSchumann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A nice location I found
« on: December 08, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »

I found this nice starting position, and I think it would be good place to build a glittering, towering, fortress of obsidian and glass.

Created in DF v0.27.169.33d.

[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:IEJC]
   [SEED:47320]

in The Everseeing Realm, on  a volcanic island/peninsula in The Flowery Water, just off The Land of Sculptures

World Map: 3 up, 5 right
Region Map: 1 tile south of the volcano

Types of Layers: soil, Sand, igneous extrusive, metamorphic, igneous intrusive

Cliff indicator: mostly medium to high, with extreme cliffs in the norts

Biomes:

The Swamp of Bends: Tropical Freshwater Swamp, Scorching, Heavily Forested, Thick, Wilderness, Yellow sand, Andesite, gneiss, Diorite

Steep slopes will prevent wood from growing

The Flowery Water: Tropical Freshwater Lake, Hot, No vegetation, Mirthful, Sandy Clay loam, Yellow sand, Silt Loam (aquifer), Clay, Obsidian, Quartzite, Granite

Big body of water, is constantly filled by a brook from off-map

The Wall of Play: Mountain, Hot, no vegetation, Wilderness, Obsidian, Quartzite, Granite

I really like the high obsidian cliffs.

I did a quick-start to check the local area and for lag.

From the highest point I had, 8th from the right and 3 down, the map goes 50 deep. I would have to select a large area to get everything I want, though my computer might be able to handle it. (Athalon X2 4200+ with 3 gigs of ddr800)

I don't have to flood to get farmland, there is sand for glass, magma, obsidian, and running water.

Even tough it is a volcanic lake island, it is connected to the main land, Dwarves, Elves, Goblins, and Humans are neighbors. Therefore I could trade for anything I don't have locally.

RaSchumann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A nice location I found
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 10:05:00 am »

A little update:

The seed 47320 turns out to be pretty good. I think on the east side of the volcano is actually a better location, stretch the area horizontally to get access to a magma vent that goes quite a few layers above the water level.

Just for fun I had a look at a location south of that one: Large River, TWO waterfalls over ten layers high and a magma vent

I don't care if you have a super computer, it'll take years just to get a fortress started there

Edit:

Oh dear, stingrays, carp, alligators and saltwater crocodiles

Good thing I didn't bring a fisherdwarf this time or he would be dead meat

Edit2: on the other hand I looked in the raws and crocs and allis can be exotic mounts ::EVIL GRIN::

Has anyone tried getting alligator or crocodile pets as mounts for your military before ::EVIL GRIN GETS BIGGER::

Edit3: In the wiki it says that you need a dungeon master in order to mount it, awwwww

[ December 10, 2007: Message edited by: RaSchumann ]