Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random queen before even the first caravan?  (Read 1213 times)

DrewLegend

• Bay Watcher
  • henlo my guy
    • View Profile
Random queen before even the first caravan?
« on: February 02, 2016, 05:52:35 pm »

Ok, so i started a new embark and proceeded to sculpt it set up workshops etc etc. After i was done with the main buildings i dug a bit deeper and found some gold and silver/galena. I haven't made many gold/silver crafts and i have only been using a stonecrafter to clear up all the excess stones. I haven't even gotten my first migrant wave or trader yet my expedition leader decided to become the queen when i don't have the slightest amount of royal buildings/bedroom. Soo errrrr.......Can anyone explain this and what i need to do to accommodate her?
*btw i don't have any weapons grade ores only gold and silver it seems*

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Random queen before even the first caravan?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 06:07:49 pm »

The announcement message might tell you more about how exactly this happened.
Are you playing a dead civ?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

DrewLegend

• Bay Watcher
  • henlo my guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 07:25:41 pm »

No im sure its not a dead civ. The message that appeared was " After a polite discussion with local rivals, Rigoth Amusedhalls has claimed the position of queen of the Rag of Impunity"

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:31:48 pm »

No im sure its not a dead civ. The message that appeared was " After a polite discussion with local rivals, Rigoth Amusedhalls has claimed the position of queen of the Rag of Impunity"
then just use the Unfortunate Accident move

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:16:12 pm »

I guess your civ's ruler died without heirs then, and the RNG screwed you over royally (<<<see what I did there  8) ).

Then again, making some royal quarters isn't that hard, and you'll have some time before it really starts to influence your dwarf's mood.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 04:34:32 am »

If the civ is dead there won't be any monarch (and it's quite hard to get an actual dead civ). If your civ is struggling (which you're warned about on embark with an incorrect "dead or dying civ" message), you can quickly get saddled with a monarch because there wasn't one at embark, or get one when the current one croaks. If any significant settlements still stand, I think the monarch will be elected from their populations, but if the mountainhome fell, killing the monarch, you run the risk of getting the honor of hosting a mandate spewer. I many be wrong and it's all a matter of RNG, however.

Edit:
And I'd strongly recommend against the unfortunate accident resolution method unless you're absolutely sure it's a case of RNG screwing over, since otherwise all you achieve is to be one dorf short and get another one as monarch the moment the "accident" happens.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:37:35 am by PatrikLundell »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 03:44:01 pm »

Then again, making some royal quarters isn't that hard

Especially when the OP has already found gold on the map.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 04:26:36 pm »

Also, silver is technically weapons grade, make some War Hammers if you need them.

DrewLegend

• Bay Watcher
  • henlo my guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 06:19:07 pm »

Well thanks for that tip king, although i have only 4 dorfs left. Was trying to cage some helmet snakes in a cavern so i could tame them, however one of my dorfs got attacked by a giant toad and led it to my staircase. Half of my dwarves died via toad and they all passes out trying to fight it. In the end one of my super-buff cats managed to slay the beast. I havent gotten any migrants either and its been almost a year i think. Btw is electrum better than gold as far as profit goes?

fluffymormegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 09:15:33 am »

Btw is electrum better than gold as far as profit goes?
Electrum's value (20) is equal to the average value of its input metals (gold and silver are used in equal proportion, and have values of 30 and 10 respectively). As such, it's:
  • profit-neutral if prepared from bars at a magma smelter
  • a small relative loss if prepared from bars at a conventional smelter
  • a small relative gain if prepared from ores at a conventional smelter using horn silver or native silver as the silver ore
  • a significant gain if prepared from ores at any kind of smelter using galena (normal yield per boulder of galena: four bars of lead @ MV 2 and two bars of silver @ MV 10) or tetrahedrite (normal yield per boulder of tetrahedrite: four bars of copper @ MV 2 and 0.8 bars of silver at MV 10, or four bars of billon at MV 6)
Note that the value proposition in the tetrahedrite case is more complicated if you have significant quantities of tin (for bronze) or zinc (for brass).

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 04:12:26 pm »

A cat beat a giant toad? Only in Dwarf Fortress