Poll

Yea or Nay?

Yea! They add so much!
- 13 (43.3%)
Nay! They detract from the work!
- 17 (56.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Japanese Honorifics in English Translations: Yea or Nay?  (Read 2982 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Japanese Honorifics in English Translations: Yea or Nay?
« on: February 02, 2016, 06:09:12 am »

Should English translations of Japanese media retain Japanese honorifcs? Yea or Nay? The correct answer is nay.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Honorifics in English Translations: Yea or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 06:16:17 am »

I think the question could be extended to honorific from any language in translated works. As for an answer. .. I think it can vary quite a bit based on the work itself.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 06:39:21 am »

I'm a yea. I'd rather read "nii-san" than "older brother!", or their name when their name clearly wasn't spoken.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 06:46:00 am »

What Tack said, unless the work clearly isn't set in Japan. I think in that case it'd be appropriate to replace the honorific with an appropriate title or nickname.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 07:59:30 am »

Long as it's consistent I don't really care all that much either way. Does tend to add a bit to the story when it's part of a translation (or someone being very careful about usage, at least), but most of the time the writing/dialogue can be adjusted so it's not necessary fairly easily and it usually doesn't add that much regardless.

As per teneb, basically. It varies based on work, or more precisely usage -- quality of the translation if it's translated, the writing if it's not. They can be a positive or a negative depending on the particular instance.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 09:42:32 am »

Well, if they're in the translation, you have to know what they mean. Not that that's a bad thing, but when I looked some of them up I got giant walls of text for some reason.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 09:49:25 am »

I think in general if it's not directly translatable, then I'd rather if they didn't try. But if it can be translated well enough, then I'm fine with them doing so.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 09:55:26 am »

If it's set in Japan, I prefer they keep the honorifics and things like "senpai" and "kouhai". The senpai and kouhai system is an integral part of the Japanese culture, not just words to be translated. Actually, it's stated as a major reason the Japanese school club system is so heavily promoted: it teaches the young people the work culture of senpai/kouhai relations.

"All according to keikaku (TN: keikaku means 'plan')" is of course going full retard in the other direction.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:58:36 am by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 09:56:24 am »

I use japanese honorifics if I'm intentionally trying to sounds like a weeboo. It's quite effective but it adds a connotation to other uses of japanese honorifics in english.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 10:02:24 am »

Depends on context. A number of honorifics don't have simple, direct English equivalents. If its only used once or twice, maybe an English equivalent is better, even if unwieldy. If it's used every other sentence, define it early and then stick with the original honorific.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 10:02:42 am »

Well, if they're in the translation, you have to know what they mean. Not that that's a bad thing, but when I looked some of them up I got giant walls of text for some reason.

Think about that from another angle: if something needs a wall of text to explain it, then there probably isn't a good word-substitute to encompass the concept.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 03:27:07 pm »

I don't really think they add much. I've watched anime both English dubbed and subbed without the things and it was all perfectly enjoyable. That I didn't suddenly have foreign words shoved in my face helped in the immersion.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 03:39:29 pm »

No point in it, personally.

Although I don't see why people use honorifics anyways. Stilted way of speaking, use other vocabulary to make your language more vibrant.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 03:44:39 pm »

Although I don't see why people use honorifics anyways. Stilted way of speaking, use other vocabulary to make your language more vibrant.
When you have a society that is very concerned with stratification/caste/position, it becomes rather important. English does the same thing, just in less formalized ways.

If you're meeting a potential employer for a job interview, you don't go "Hey man, how's it hanging?"
If you're meeting a child, you don't go "Hello, small child. It is a pleasure to meet you."

The honorifics are used to assert and reaffirm the relative positions of the speaker and addressee in a hierarchy.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 03:46:49 pm »

When you have a society that is very concerned with stratification/caste/position, it becomes rather important. English does the same thing, just in less formalized ways.

If you're meeting a potential employer for a job interview, you don't go "Hey man, how's it hanging?"
If you're meeting a child, you don't go "Hello, small child. It is a pleasure to meet you."

The honorifics are used to assert and reaffirm the relative positions of the speaker and addressee in a hierarchy.

We're monkeys, not insects.

Also, that's exactly what I would say. I am now confused.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: [1] 2