Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Unclimbable Walls?  (Read 14435 times)

Iamblichus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unclimbable Walls?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 06:19:26 pm »

I haven't had anything climb single tile wall (with carved fortification) overhangs.  I did have a goblin dodge through the wall tho.  It looks like they can quantum teleport like sparring dwarves sometimes do.
Code: [Select]
_F
W
D

(It is on top of a bluff, D is a dirt wall, W is a block wall, F is a block wall with fortifications carved into it.)

I just looked at the wiki there is a confirmed bug with fortifications-
 Creatures can now jump through fortifications Bug:8160

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 07:15:45 pm »

There seems to be a difference between:

b-C-W (constructed block wall), then d-A (designate carve fortification) which create a fortification with a roof (floor on z+1)

compared to b-C-F (constructed fortification) which creates a fortification with no roof, this latter seems to have issues on being climb-able or jumping through.

Iamblichus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 07:31:20 pm »

b-C-W (constructed block wall), then d-A (designate carve fortification) which create a fortification with a roof (floor on z+1)

compared to b-C-F (constructed fortification) which creates a fortification with no roof, this latter seems to have issues on being climb-able or jumping through.

Any idea if building a floor on top of b-C-F solves the problem?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 07:55:02 pm »

Any idea if building a floor on top of b-C-F solves the problem?

Whether or not it does, it takes up twice the materials and (roughly) twice the time-to-build.

I have vague memories of constructed walls not being originally carvable into fortifications (or, certainly, I didn't originally use this option), but for quite a while now I've switched to Construct Wall (and hence an automatic floor above) in all cases, and then sending the Engravers in, soon after.  (Still possibly 'twice the time', give or take, but at least it's not two stone-hauling tasks, just one and then an engraver's commute - who then usually sticks around to carve the nearest neighbour.)

These days I have different challenges, for my various 'traditional' (pre-climbing, but still designed to be climb-impenetrable) designs of architecture.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 08:13:49 pm »

Just dig a moat around your wall.  I prefer 3 tiles wide, and make the bottom layer 5 tiles wide.  With the two extra tiles going inwards "under" the wall.  This is simply the easiest way to get the two-tile "lip" that can't be diagonally climbed up.  Bonus points if you dig it into the first few stone layers and smooth it up.  Its much quicker than building tall walls that need lips over them.  And when you dig into stone, you get a usable item to make stuff with. 

You still need at least 1z-level of wall, though, to block ranged units if nothing else.  You can then build a second layer with fortifications.  I think you have to be a legendary ranged user to shoot through fortifications with no penalties without being directly adjacent from it, and this set up will leave your fortifications no closer than 4 tiles from an enemy. 

Iamblichus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 08:38:20 pm »

Just dig a moat around your wall.  I prefer 3 tiles wide, and make the bottom layer 5 tiles wide.  With the two extra tiles going inwards "under" the wall.  This is simply the easiest way to get the two-tile "lip" that can't be diagonally climbed up.  Bonus points if you dig it into the first few stone layers and smooth it up.  Its much quicker than building tall walls that need lips over them.  And when you dig into stone, you get a usable item to make stuff with. 

You still need at least 1z-level of wall, though, to block ranged units if nothing else.  You can then build a second layer with fortifications.  I think you have to be a legendary ranged user to shoot through fortifications with no penalties without being directly adjacent from it, and this set up will leave your fortifications no closer than 4 tiles from an enemy.

I hadn't thought about digging under the walls like that.  My only concerns about your design that you might need a paved road around the outside of the moat to keep the trees out of jumping distance.  And of course, you will need to pave or fill the moat.  I'm still uncertain as to how much space is needed from the edge of the wall to the first tree.

edit- In your example you mentioned digging in to stone which would not require paving but if there are a few layers of soil you would have to worry about trees in the moat.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:42:06 pm by Iamblichus »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 09:45:29 pm »

edit- In your example you mentioned digging in to stone which would not require paving but if there are a few layers of soil you would have to worry about trees in the moat.
I don't do it myself, but apparently putting down a (nul-contents) stockpile has been a trick used to prevent vegetation from growing (including in subterranean aquaducts, that might occasionally empty down to fertile mud and then end up blocked with mushroom-trees).  Assuming that still works.

If you're paving, instead, make it the good-quality road.  Less materials, and trains up your architect(s).  If you're doing it on dug-into-soil then you won't even need to smooth down boulders to let you lay the full rectangles down because the dug surface (whether fresh soil or bedrock... although you won't be so interested in paving any bedrock bits) is completely boulderless.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 10:34:22 pm »

Yes, creatures can jump 1z, then hold onto the wall surface, and proceed to climb from there.
Adventurers can't jump up z-levels, and I'm reasonably sure NPCs can't either. If you build something like an upside-down pyramid, it's not climb-safe regardless of jumping.
-snip-
Umm... what's your point?

So, if I am reading this correctly, a single z-level wall with a floor overhang should be unclimbable?
Yes.

I haven't had anything climb single tile wall (with carved fortification) overhangs.
Maybe you've just been lucky. Invaders won't climb without a visible target, and not if there's a better option.

Either can be jumped through. Jumping turns the creature into a projectile, and projectiles pass through fortifications. Maybe they generally won't chose to do so, but it can be done manually in adventure/arena mode, and they've been known to for at least one of those as per bug 8160. I can't speak for climb-ability.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:46:21 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 11:39:06 pm »

So...for a wall to work..you need something like:

Wall?
     Floor
Wall
Wall

????
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Iamblichus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 12:01:17 am »

So...for a wall to work..you need something like:

Wall?
     Floor
Wall
Wall

????

No acording to the post just above yours you only need

Floor
Wall

That should be unclimbable

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 12:42:48 am »

The easiest way to make an unclimbable wall is to make a 2z deep moat and fill the bottom layer with magma. Or water. Or repeating spikes. Or weapon traps. Or ravenous beasts. Or whatever. Then put a 1z wall with a 2 tile overhang.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 03:46:12 am »

The stockpile trick will block saplings from maturing, but it seems you still suffer the FPS penalty of a fully forested area, if my experience is correct.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 10:53:44 am »

If you don't like the exploitiness of the empty stockpile, you could make it a finished goods stockpile that only allows skull totems, and make skull totems whenever possible, particularly out of the skulls of defeated invaders. That way your fort would slowly surround itself with terrifying reminders of its martial prowess.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 11:00:44 am »

For a 2-wide dry moat, ramps are enough to prevent trees growing in the moat.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 11:17:38 am »

Currently you can't make totems out of sapient creatures...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4