Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilizing animal people?  (Read 4969 times)

Somebodyelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civilizing animal people?
« on: January 30, 2016, 10:45:39 pm »

Is it possible to civilize intelligent wilderness creatures in the course of a fort's life (on site or elsewhere in the world) or is civilization of wild sentients a world gen event only?

Basically I made a fort near a biome that contains massive animal people in the hopes they'll want to move in. None of the which were available by default in adventure mode. They're playable from the species select list, so they exist in the world, but aren't already part of any civs.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilizing animal people?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 11:28:46 pm »

You might get a quicker, more accurate answer posting this on Future of the Fortress which is due for a post from Toady any day now. Doubt if enough Science has been completed by the community to check this yet (nice if someone surprises us though).

--edit
Posted myself 'cos I'm curious too
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:28:12 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 02:36:20 am »

Once chains get fixed, I've considered chaining up said animalkind in the tavern, to see if they can't learn to speak dwarf and get a taste for the hard stuff. I don't really have high hopes though that that would lead to them being civilized but we'll see.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 03:42:14 am »

My understanding is that the only animal people you can get to your fortress are visitors who are members of other civs. Wild populations remain wild, and you can't do anything with them. I've seen it said you can mod them by adding a tag to them (something along the lines of PET_EXOTIC) to get them to behave as gremlins.
(Gremlins can be tamed, but not completely, and can petition to become members of your fortress. However, they can't be assigned jobs [but will do hauling], and they're a pain because of the constant retrain need, especially since retraining is a lower priority "task" than hauling once a citizen, so you need to fiddle with burrows to get them to come to retraining).

I'd certainly like to see both gremlins and wild animal people to be able to become full, non "animal", citizens who no longer need retraining and who can be assigned jobs normally.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 04:26:12 am »

I think PatrikLundell is right. There's a specific worldgen event where an animal person "leaves the wilds and settles in [site]" whereby a historical figure is created from an ambient population of animal people. I think this only happens in world generation, and maybe off-screen during play, but I'm pretty sure it never occurs in-fort.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 04:34:27 am »

I think PatrikLundell is right. There's a specific worldgen event where an animal person "leaves the wilds and settles in [site]" whereby a historical figure is created from an ambient population of animal people. I think this only happens in world generation, and maybe off-screen during play, but I'm pretty sure it never occurs in-fort.
Probably wouldn't happen in-fort. But would be interesting to see if actually building a fortress near a wild animal-man population encourages them to civilise (assuming animal-man civilization still happens post-initial worldgen).

Do gremlins ever civilize at all? I thought  it was just animal-people, gorlaks and plump helmet-men. Love how plump-helmet men somehow become monarchs of their host civilization occassionally...

Dystopian Rhetoric

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 08:30:51 am »

You can get animal people in your fort by retiring it, starting an animal person adventurer, retiring them in the retired fort, and then unretiring the fort.

Generally speaking they're available to do labors and whatnot, though for whatever reason Plump Helmet Men are classed as pets and just kind of wander around as they please.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 09:17:56 am »

As far as I understand gremlins don't become civilized because they're "animals", and they're unique in being the only sapient "animal" that can be trained (and butchered). My 3 gremlins have become fortress citizens, but they're still in need of retraining.
Trolls can obviously be civilized fairly far by goblins (troll lashers, for instance), but I guess they're basically slave warriors and not full citizens (and one wonders how the goblins manage the troll building destroying tendencies. Maybe they're neutralized like gremlin lever pulling upon taming).

I would guess (wild) gremlins, animal people, gorlaks, and plump helmet men will eventually be treated the same so all of them can exist both as wild and civilized individuals, and wild ones could eventually be "recruited" to your fortress (probably excepting hostile tribes). Time (and Toady) will tell.

NorkasAradel

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 11:01:48 pm »

...though for whatever reason Plump Helmet Men are classed as pets and just kind of wander around as they please.
I think it's because they can't speak, but I cannot be sure.
Quote from: Announcement Screen
Kasat Osmandonu, Ghostly Human Bard has risen and is haunting the fortress!
At least his moaning and chain rattling will be in key and hopefully entertaining.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:24:29 pm »

Toady just confirmed in the "Future of the Fortress" reply that animalmen only become "civilized" during world-gen.  This will NEVER happen within your embark tile for a current fortress.  I don't think he specified "initial" world gen versus "continued world gen during play," but iirc he was leaning towards the former. 

So unfortunately, we don't get to go all Colonial on the serpent men of the caverns : /

Somebodyelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:13:53 pm »

That's unfortunate.

I really had my heart set on getting some sperm whale men I modded to move in and be my military.

tranquilium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 07:27:30 am »

Is it possible to civilize intelligent wilderness creatures in the course of a fort's life (on site or elsewhere in the world) or is civilization of wild sentients a world gen event only?

Basically I made a fort near a biome that contains massive animal people in the hopes they'll want to move in. None of the which were available by default in adventure mode. They're playable from the species select list, so they exist in the world, but aren't already part of any civs.

I had a boar woman scholar visiting my fort recently. I think some of them are already civilized.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 07:47:06 am »

I had a boar woman scholar visiting my fort recently. I think some of them are already civilized.
Yes, that's the point. During worldgen some animal-man tribes civilize, in your case a tribe of wild boar-men civilized at some point. You can check Legends to see exactly when this happened.

However, Toady says that until animal-man entities have been more fully fleshed out, there won't be any additional animal-men civilizing during play.

Of course, I suppose you could always create a thousand 'intelligent wilderness adventurers' and settle them all in a village somewhere to manually kick-start the process.