Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't get bay12 forums to run on desktop computer  (Read 822 times)

Thrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't get bay12 forums to run on desktop computer
« on: January 30, 2016, 09:48:24 pm »

I have recently started having a problem where I cannot make the bay12games forum run in chrome on my desktop computer. I also attempted to use internet explorer and that didn't work either. In both cases all I get is "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT". Anyone have any ideas for fixing this?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get bay12 forums to run on desktop computer
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 05:12:37 am »

Either you have something dodgy on your PC which is blocking or redirecting the connection attempt, or the problem is with your internet connection.

It's unlikely to be browser specific.

Try opening a command prompt (on windows the easiest way is to press the "windows logo" + "R" keys on your keyboard, type in "cmd" and press enter) and then type in:
ping www.bay12forums.com
(and press enter).

It should quite quickly say something like:

Pinging www.bay12forums.com [97.107.128.126] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 97.107.128.126: bytes=32 time=97ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 97.107.128.126:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 97ms, Maximum = 97ms, Average = 97ms

This should quickly confirm whether you have any connection to the forums at all or whether it is specific to loading web pages.

If it shows any/all as "lost" or "timed out" etc then you have an actual connection problem. If the IP address (string of 4 numbers at the start) is not 97.107.128.126, you have something interfering with the connection.

EDIT: I assume you can get to other sites?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:15:50 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Thrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:53:31 pm »

I can connect to most other sites, I have noticed in the past few days that more sites are timing out on me. I also have found www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ works fine. The only site that consistently won't connect is the bay forums. I also tried the cmd ping and it consistently timed out.

I tried a tracert command as well and that worked fine for six hops before it started timing out as well. I've tried what little I know, and have done my best to check that my computer's firewall as well as the modem are not blocking the webpage.   

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 10:13:41 pm »

ipconfig /flushdns

Just a wild guess.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 04:26:06 am »

I tried a tracert command as well and that worked fine for six hops before it started timing out as well.

That sounds like an ISP-level fault. Once you're past the first hop or two, it's not your issue any more, it's well and truly out on the internet.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.