Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some 32-bit applications fail to load in Windows 7 64-bit  (Read 829 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Some 32-bit applications fail to load in Windows 7 64-bit
« on: January 30, 2016, 04:34:50 pm »

I've noticed a strange thing lately - some applications that worked well on the 32-bit version of Windows 7, like certain installers, fail to load in the 64-bit version of that system. They appear in Task Manager's Processes window, but they can't be stopped and their RAM usage is always 96 KB.

Launching as administrator and setting compatibility modes does nothing. Oddly enough, trying to make a memory dump of those applications through the Task Manager throws up an error saying "Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed".

How can I fix this problem? Does it happen due to malware or is it just a compatibility issue?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 04:40:48 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Some 32-bit applications fail to load in Windows 7 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 05:18:10 am »

16-bit software will run on 32-bit windows but not on 64-bit (Microsoft's compatibility layer only goes down one level). How old is this software? Even then though, it should just fail to run, not get stuck like that.

Otherwise it sounds like you have a fault somewhere, and I'd suggest the normal anti-malware scan / windows reinstall procedure.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:03:39 am »

16-bit software will run on 32-bit windows but not on 64-bit (Microsoft's compatibility layer only goes down one level). How old is this software? Even then though, it should just fail to run, not get stuck like that.

Otherwise it sounds like you have a fault somewhere, and I'd suggest the normal anti-malware scan / windows reinstall procedure.
I'm talking about 32-bit software for XP/Vista (and newer).
I'll scan my PC for malware.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 07:07:58 am »

Even then it might not be malware - you might have something glitched in some system files or a Windows Update that went pear-shaped, just something to keep in mind.

Either way, you need to weigh the time and effort of cleaning up malware or a glitched Windows vs just reinstalling (which of course nukes all the malware instantly).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:13:04 am by Reelya »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 02:20:20 pm »

It happens. Sometimes it's just the software being too old for a modern OS no matter the bit-ness. Sometimes it's an incompatibility with a particular graphics driver. This is why you get a nice big hard drive to partition and make a 32bit install that works. Dual and triple booting is sometimes necessary. Or you can just keep a whole other older computer around for 32 bit.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 04:27:54 pm »

There's also the option of VirtualBox / VMWare / VirtualPC or the like. Then you can run a needed legacy app inside it's own environment without rebooting.