Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33

Author Topic: Aoshi's test thread: Test 2?  (Read 77315 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanics test: Test 4, Wild Magic
« Reply #360 on: March 14, 2016, 08:31:50 am »

I Take a "Short trip" down to Dustan Hache's House.
[1+1] It turns out to be a long trip. Not only he lives on opposite side of the town, but the roads here are twisted and narrow. Not a first time you find yourself lost and wondering if the town was built on some ancient magic misfire spot that occasionally twists space when nobody is looking.

But it's NEFARIOUS PURPOSES!  I MUST TRY AGAIN!
[1] Wait, you clearly misunderstood everything. It wasn't even a spell, you honestly like that fellow! Your best friend forever! Ah hah, silly you, how could you even suspect him casting mind altering spells on you!? Ridiculous! You berate yourself for thinking such stupid things.
Seriously, now is time to think about your actual problems, not imaginary (and obviously false) ones.

Teleport Dustan's Dice of Order to me.

Magic up some defenses for my new house.
4. The spell pulls couple boulders, arranges them mostly vertically, applies levitation, basic sensory systems, ownership identification, and simple operation orders: Patrol the area, crush everything living that is not owner. Not particularly impressive, but very effective.

((To be fair, randomness doesn't mean you will always get different numbers. And the chance to roll series of number still exist, it's just...really really low.
I personally stopped caring about dice moods. Whether I use some weird website, a live dice or a simple random number algorithm, the results never seem that random to me.))

Ask magic to teleport my fellow mages to safety. After hearing Dustan gargles, I'm getting a bit worried.
You see, sometimes when people roll 1 and I don't have clear idea how to make them suffer, I use "exploding die" thing where GM rolls second die to determine how far in wrong direction it goes. I did it this time. And it rolled 1. Considering how well things have been going on for you, indluding queue, I think it is appropriate to introduce some really difficult things to you.

1. Instead of teleporting your buddies to safety, something very dangerous gets teleported to you. A black monolith appears in middle of your house, displacing good amount of roof and floor as it comes.

0 seconds: Monolith appears. It seems to be a mere black stone.
0.1 seconds: Extemely thin and intricate network of glyphs and runes carved on its surface flash blue light and the monolith starts deforming.
0.4 seconds: You have identified this object. Advanced Anti-Magic Warfare Sentinel Model XI. Created by well known wizard king The Most Glorious King Cotlal the First. Self-appointed, self-named and self-destructed. The Anti-Magic Sentinel series was designed and built especially against mages. It uses anti-magic fields rendering all magical attacks against it useless and to selectively uses them to disable mages who are close enough. Not it is only perfect anti-mage weapon, it is also smart, very fast, very strong, very durable, and equipped with various short and long range weapons to ensure people die in true and permanent manner. Their only real weakness was that its offensive anti-magic fields are not active when it doesn't detect presense of mages. And it takes about a second before reaching full combat capacity after detecting a mage. That's what really killed king Cotlal. He accidentally removed IFF systems.
0.6 seconds: It is no longer a monolith, but a collection of hovering sharp spikes and blades finding proper configuration.
0.8 seconds: You are desperately trying to find right spell for the situation. Time is running short.

okay, this looks bad, but a wizard always has a plan. I challenge death to a game of foot chess!
Instead of picking 6 or 5 to heal yourself? Fine.
[6] You shout your challenge to Death (who's is really firgment of your own imagination) and sprint the few last steps up to him squirting out your last precious bits of blood that are required to keep you conscious. And alive. The game of chess starts, with your continued existance on line. It takes some time, but you win despite death having feets better suited for manipulating small game pieces.
While peasants have enough honor to not stab unconscious man who is already dying, they also very willing to ensure your death. Quite thankfull for small favours you wake up.

Even for beating death once in imaginary chess is not enough to keep it away. You get one chance to survive. Only one. One roll to see if you can even do magic to heal yourself. Because when man has lost enough blood to make him faint he really shouldn't be able to arbitrarily wake up and do magic. I'm sure you agree to that. Rolling 5 or 6 is required for success. Now, let's see if you live to save yourself.
[1] Nope. Sorry for killing you again. But enjoy this epitaph I didn't plan to write:

There's a price to pay for using wild magic. No mage knows about that, but they certainly do when the collector finally comes. Magic pulls Dustan Hache's soul out and for first time he sees what magic truly is. A swirling chaotic mass of millions of tortured souls, both mages and victims of magic, each desperately clinging to the only connection to life they can have, each having opinions how spells should work, each puppeteering the entire mass of souls and burning each others to make spells happen. Magic is essentially fueled by death. Every spell mages cast burns out the souls magic is made of, and every spell that kills people steals more souls to sustain itself.
  He screams in horror as he's pulled into the mass of souls, his voice joining in millions others and drowned by it. He fights to find way back to life, he finds mages working with their spells, he manipulates other souls to burn themselves for spells, and is in turn manipulated by others. He knows it, like everybody here knows it. There's only one way out, one chance for rebirth. They all have their attention on this young mage. Maybe he does it again...

NEXT MAGE IN THE LINE, PLEASE STEP FORWARD!

Spoiler: crazyabe (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nakéen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whisperling (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: TheBiggerFish (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Peasants in the town (click to show/hide)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanics test 1, Part 4: Wild Magic
« Reply #361 on: March 14, 2016, 02:57:26 pm »

A torrent of information floods through Nakéen's head. It's a blend of knowledge, fear and memories. He subconsciously realizes what is this monolith, and the word "Shit" echoes in his head.

Unleash an Inner Coherence Disturbance Spell on the whole space containing the AAWS Model XI, a spell based on the Soul Coherence Theory, which states that every object possess a "Soul" that contains all information about this object. If this "Soul" is broken, that object loses all inner coherence and disintegrates for some reason.

In living beings, the "Soul" is strong. In objects and non-living things, the "Soul" is weak and easy to break.

Use this spell, in the hope that it will annihilate the AAWS Model XI in time.

Version 2 :
There is still time to flee. Life is more precious than a high-magitech floating house, as rare it may be. If I'm not careful, the AAWS Model XI will just teleport to my other location.
Use a Multiple Location Shifting Transportation spell to transport Anna and me to safety. The spell will teleport us to a random place, all the while hiding our final destination by constantly shifting the final destination. There is such a huge combination of possible destinations that the AAWS won't be able to find us.

Use this spell, in the hope that the AAWS won't manage to decode the Shifting Pattern.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:25:41 pm by Nakéen »

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 14, 2016, 03:08:44 pm »

Make a magic staff of shape earth. I've been neglecting my toolbox recently. Use it to raise some rock walls in front of my house.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 14, 2016, 03:21:55 pm »

Nice spell. But did you miss the part where I said its only weakness being boot time of offensive anti-magic?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 14, 2016, 04:40:10 pm »

But I don't even LIKE the guy!  Dispel!  Dispel!  Dispel!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 14, 2016, 04:43:44 pm »

I Keep on Trying to get over to Dustan Hache's house! Attempting a Teleportation Spell to speed up the Proceedings.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 14, 2016, 05:25:54 pm »

Nice spell. But did you miss the part where I said its only weakness being boot time of offensive anti-magic?
Dang, I misread this part as "the magic field takes 1 second to activate after it detects a mage". So if I understand well, the offensive anti-magic field is already activated ?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 14, 2016, 11:47:31 pm »

Dang, I misread this part as "the magic field takes 1 second to activate after it detects a mage". So if I understand well, the offensive anti-magic field is already activated ?
Defensive is...
Old sigs.
Games.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 15, 2016, 12:47:53 am »

Defensive is...
I see, reading back more carefully, I understand. If it's okay with you then, I will edit my turn. And if it's not okay, I don't mind. After all, my character made a quick decision in a matter of milliseconds, an error is more than expected.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 15, 2016, 03:17:37 am »

Is there no other mages willing to step in? We have one spot open for grabs! Anyone?

Version 2 :
There is still time to flee. Life is more precious than a high-magitech floating house, as rare it may be. If I'm not careful, the AAWS Model XI will just teleport to my other location.
Use a Multiple Location Shifting Transportation spell to transport Anna and me to safety. The spell will teleport us to a random place, all the while hiding our final destination by constantly shifting the final destination. There is such a huge combination of possible destinations that the AAWS won't be able to find us.

Use this spell, in the hope that the AAWS won't manage to decode the Shifting Pattern.

5. The spell fires off as soon as you think about it. For a brief moment space wraps around you two and you see 75 different places at the same time, wind blows from 15 different direction. Very disconcerting sensation, you must say. Then the spell decides which outcome should be the real one and everything returns normal. Normal as in you aren't in multiple locations at the same time. You spend a minute turning around towards slightlest sound ready to dispense magical murder, but eventually you relax seeing that AAWS is not following you. Awesome!

It appears you are now in a lush and quiet forest, untouched by humans for at least 200 years. You see traces of ancient stoneworks scattered on the ground telling story of civilization long gone. Probably another city destroyed long time ago in great wars. You hear rumbling of stone in distance.

But I don't even LIKE the guy!  Dispel!  Dispel!  Dispel!
But you do like him. That 1 took care of that. You don't even perceive the spell anymore. You can't suddenly decide you don't like your best friend anymore.

Make a magic staff of shape earth. I've been neglecting my toolbox recently. Use it to raise some rock walls in front of my house.
4. You choose that one stone that sank into earth a little while ago. It seems like suitable fate for such traitorous seat to be turned into magical artifact of power. The stone ripples like a liquid and then flows into a shape of a staff. Two meters tall staff of white marble, rather non-descript if you ignore series of obviously magical inscriptions on its otherwise smooth surface. ((This staff acts outside of your queue, rolling 1d5+1.))
[2+1] You give it experimental swing and command the earth rise into a nice wall. Earth rumbles and stone flows up forming a ring of crude stone pillars around the tower. They are set too widely apart to offer any actual protection.

I Keep on Trying to get over to Dustan Hache's house! Attempting a Teleportation Spell to speed up the Proceedings.
2. Magic doesn't help at all. It merely flips you around facing in the direction you came form.
[2+1] At least you find the marketplace and get yourself oriented.

Old sigs.
Games.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanics test 1, Part 4: Wild Magic (spot open)
« Reply #370 on: March 15, 2016, 03:26:56 am »

I head toward the stone rumbling sounds, still on the lookout for any potential danger. Anna is following me closely.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 15, 2016, 07:01:32 am »

Keep on going, I need to loot Dustan's corpse before the peasents go and burn it!
I also attempt to cast "RE-RANDOMIZE Chances with magic" along the way...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 15, 2016, 02:38:11 pm »

Use my new staff to fill out the pillars and make an actual wall. Cast a spell to make a bunch of golems for defenders. Save power by skimping out on intelligence, even though that does mean they won't be able to do the simplest action without a direct order.

If I can cast multiple spells in one turn without penalty, summon a rock afterwards.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 15, 2016, 03:48:23 pm »

Detect Magic.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 15, 2016, 03:58:24 pm »

I head toward the stone rumbling sounds, still on the lookout for any potential danger. Anna is following me closely.
[6] You walk twenty meters and THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE TREES! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS BUT IT IS POTENTIALLY VERY DANGEROUS!
4. You burn the tree and quite possibly whatever spooked you. Smell of burned meat and fur proves that much. It makes you hungry.

Keep on going, I need to loot Dustan's corpse before the peasents go and burn it!
I also attempt to cast "RE-RANDOMIZE Chances with magic" along the way...

What's that spell? I don't know it. Magic doesn't know about it either, but it doesn't like sound of it. Don't you dare manipulate it!
[5±0] Rest of the way is easy, thanks to all light from collected torches. When you reach the building they are just about to set it in fire, but hold on a moment after noticing your arrival.
"Have you come to perform his last rites? I don't know if you mages have any special ceremonies in case of death, but if you do we won't interfere. But we DO want to burn his corpse and house. Just to make sure he doesn't come back."

Use my new staff to fill out the pillars and make an actual wall. Cast a spell to make a bunch of golems for defenders. Save power by skimping out on intelligence, even though that does mean they won't be able to do the simplest action without a direct order.

If I can cast multiple spells in one turn without penalty, summon a rock afterwards.

[4+1] Another commanding swing from the staff and stone finally flows in desired perfectly circular shape. The wall is tall and extemely smooth. So smooth that  you can actually see your reflection on it. The surface shows fantastic pattern of mineral layers, much like in a blade made by ancient master swordsmiths. Outside of the wall stands tall and bends outwards to make it very difficult to climb. Topside is coarse enough that patroller cannot slip under any circumstances. All corners are smoothed and curved providing no point for hooks to attach on. Really, only way to get over it is to fly, jump very, very high, or teleport.
  Even the gate is extemely well hidden. You see tracks on the ground for doors to roll on, but trying to find edge of the doors is wasted effort. It is too dark to see and your fingers can't feel any cracks or imperfections. You do find a well hidden mechanism for operating the gate, so your tower isn't completely blocked off from ground bound visitors.

4. Now that you are safe you locate suitable stones within your well protected yard and magic them into a bunch stone men. Really, their lack of intelligence shows up on their faces, having glassy eyes and stylized drool by their mouths. They stand where they were made and await orders.

Since you are not pressed for time you can do multiple spells.
2. Handfull of sand materializes inside your pants. Gah!

Detect Magic.
3. Hmm, there certainly is magic present. A trace of your own spell still lingers in the tree, and another spell you can't quite identify. Most likely that communication spell by Nakéen.

Are you trying to reject what RNG decided?

Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33