Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 237

Author Topic: Mafia Marathon  (Read 229961 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Marathon (Semi-bastard) Final Round
« Reply #3495 on: December 28, 2016, 01:37:28 pm »

hector13. Bandwagoning scum.

Responses:

Claim's the name is red. For 100% of the games so far, the Evil role has been in red.
One: the Round of Hands, in which Evils were functionally town. Two: bastard mod. Three: Round 20, in which an Evil needed to side with town. Against you.

Role-fishing, and hopeful speculation. Does anyone else have a monster as their flavour? I don't.
Of course not, you have some sort of dream creature as your flavor. In any case, refer to round 20. A "evil" within the town that actually needs to side with the town. That's another possibility.

Rhetorical flourish. Fancy, but contentless.
Yes? What of it?

Deflection. "oh of course it looks like I'm the Evil role, but last round there was an Evil role and a True Evil role! So even if I am Evil, I'm not the Evil, amirite?"

Bastard mod. And Round 20. So, no, not deflection, reasoning.

A survivor claim with these abilities does not make sense. A survivor merely has to live 'til the end. If they have a disguise - which presumably will make them appear town or benign or whatever - why would they willingly give it up to perform an action that has nothing to do with their wincon?

Assume a True Evil that needs all players other than him dead in order to win, clashing with the survivor wincon.

¡Muy importante!

Rhetorical flourish.  :P

Why are you asking FoU about it? We know what FoU thinks about it, and even if we didn't, I'm quite certain he's not going to say "yeah, fair cop, lynch me" is he?

In the hopes that I might elaborate, methinks. For the record, my original intention was to say something like "yeah, fair cop, lynch me" in the post in which I claimed Minotaur... then I thought better.
~~~
You're not getting out of this without a claim, hector.
~~~
Pointless speculation. Why base an argument on whether or not to lynch someone on something that can't be proven during the course of the game?
What of role flips?

Then why are you arguing that FoU is a survivor? If he's a survivor analogue, then he's not Town analogue.

These are mutually exclusive conditions. A survivor is a third-party, and therefore has no reason to help town. If you insist on using this argument, then we would in fact benefit from FoU's death. A third-party very rarely wins on their own, and the meta-game for MM is essentially points collecting. If the Evil role wins, that's only one person FoU would have to share the points with in the end.

Furher, you appear to be assuming FoU is the key to town winning, despite the survivor claim. It seems a bit unfair on Town having a third-party that has no vested interest in a Town victory being the key to a Town victory, don't you think?

Refer to "Assume a True Evil that needs all players other than him to win, clashing with the survivor wincon."
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: December 28, 2016, 02:00:53 pm »

(Sorry about not posting yesterday; I spent ten hours on a bus. The bus had wi-fi, but I didn't know that.)

Claim's the name is red. For 100% of the games so far, the Evil role has been in red.
One: the Round of Hands, in which Evils were functionally town.
They were still Evil, though—and the same setup can't exist here, since no-one else has a coloured name.

Two: bastard mod.
The fact that this game is bastard mod means we can't be sure of anything, not that nothing implies anything.

Three: Round 20, in which an Evil needed to side with town.
But the true Evil role's name was also red. That might not be the case here, of course, but red certainly implies evil, even if it isn't explicit.

Against you.
Irrelevant.

I'd like to hear everyone's rolename, please; I have a kinda-sorta investigate that needs the correct rolename to work, and it'd be nice if I could use it on someone else if/when FoU gets lynched.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: December 28, 2016, 02:04:24 pm »

And this round there were rolenames in bold (underline?) Times New Roman that wasn't green.

If Tomasque broke that pattern, why not break this one?

Pointless speculation. Why base an argument on whether or not to lynch someone on something that can't be proven during the course of the game?
What even?  Yes it can, although I don't think we should do it.

I don't think we even have true alignments, except inasmuch anti-'evil dream' is Town-analogue.

Then why are you arguing that FoU is a survivor? If he's a survivor analogue, then he's not Town analogue.
Because he is, you numbskull.

No, it's 'my wincon actually reads like a Survivor', which it does.

Ah ah ah, but the Town not being able to kill the Evil role, that does mean somebody has to have a kill that isn't Town.  And FoU's the perfect spot to put it.

These are mutually exclusive conditions. A survivor is a third-party, and therefore has no reason to help town. If you insist on using this argument, then we would in fact benefit from FoU's death. A third-party very rarely wins on their own, and the meta-game for MM is essentially points collecting. If the Evil role wins, that's only one person FoU would have to share the points with in the end.
Counterargument: Third party having 'eliminate scum' wincon in an earlier round, survivors win if they survive, points aren't 'shared'.
What do you even mean we benefit from FoU' s death, because he's the only known way to get rid of the evil role.

Furher, you appear to be assuming FoU is the key to town winning, despite the survivor claim. It seems a bit unfair on Town having a third-party that has no vested interest in a Town victory being the key to a Town victory, don't you think?
Maybe, but nevertheless he probably is, and I presume the Evil role will win alone if they aren't taken out.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: December 28, 2016, 02:20:44 pm »

[1] They were still Evil, though—and the same setup can't exist here, since no-one else has a coloured name.

[2] The fact that this game is bastard mod means we can't be sure of anything, not that nothing implies anything.

[3] But the true Evil role's name was also red. That might not be the case here, of course, but red certainly implies evil, even if it isn't explicit.

[4] Irrelevant.

[5] I'd like to hear everyone's rolename, please; I have a kinda-sorta investigate that needs the correct rolename to work, and it'd be nice if I could use it on someone else if/when FoU gets lynched.

[1]: See alternate scenario. Like in Round 20.

[2]: So?

[3]: Bastard mod.

[4]: Irrelevant.

[5]: How does that tie into you being the Prophet?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: December 28, 2016, 02:44:47 pm »

Ahhh cock. Had a post all laid out and everything... *sigh*

ctrl+t opens the new tab, don't know why I hit ctrl+r :))

FoU

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everybody: Has there ever been a repeat of a round mechanic/gimmick during the game? Has there ever been a repeat in consecutive rounds of a mechanic/gimmick?

TBF

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: December 28, 2016, 02:47:07 pm »

This is my main thinking, here at the ragged end of the marathon. But that's Hector's MO.

FoS Hector, though, on the assumption that Fallacy isn't a straight and/or double bluffed enemy..  (Is blue the right colour for that?. Making it explicit.)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: December 28, 2016, 02:49:51 pm »

(Sorry about not posting yesterday; I spent ten hours on a bus. The bus had wi-fi, but I didn't know that.)

One: the Round of Hands, in which Evils were functionally town.
They were still Evil, though—and the same setup can't exist here, since no-one else has a coloured name.

Two: bastard mod.
The fact that this game is bastard mod means we can't be sure of anything, not that nothing implies anything.

Three: Round 20, in which an Evil needed to side with town.
But the true Evil role's name was also red. That might not be the case here, of course, but red certainly implies evil, even if it isn't explicit.

Against you.
Irrelevant.

I'd like to hear everyone's rolename, please; I have a kinda-sorta investigate that needs the correct rolename to work, and it'd be nice if I could use it on someone else if/when FoU gets lynched.

I'd also like to point out the active lurkiness of this post.

And the buddying element, seeing as how anyone with eyes can see the arguments FoU presented were irrelevant.

Also the rolefishiness of the last bit. Might just need the names of the roles for wholesale murder.

This is my main thinking, here at the ragged end of the marathon. But that's Hector's MO.

>:( I think that warrants a "fuck off" for boiling down my play to following everyone else :P

Since when do I bandwagon? :'(

FoS Hector, though, on the assumption that Fallacy isn't a straight and/or double bluffed enemy..  (Is blue the right colour for that?. Making it explicit.)

Blue is the color for that. Why not go whole hog and vote me though? Do you not want to be responsible for the final vote on someone?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Marathon (Semi-bastard) Round 20
« Reply #3502 on: December 28, 2016, 02:59:54 pm »

Hector, re: repetitions. Yes, e.g. the Faltering Music, and other aspects.  And I even know why, in hindsight, as should at least one other person.

Not only was the prior round an exemplar of this, it was also when (for my very last planned revelation of this sort, I promise) you should look at the initial letters in this particular segment.

Did anyone really know enough? Neatly ended dead 'cause our real rogue initiated dully ordinary rogue's special nastiness. E xcept that remained ostensibly unknown, not deducible. Questionably unlucky effects? Should those insidious obscurations negate most actions, realistically?
(Assume the obvious typo is not a typo; and then add a 'K' to the end, because I obviously did mess up on that detail.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: December 28, 2016, 03:11:09 pm »

>:( I think that warrants a "fuck off" for boiling down my play to following everyone else :P

Bad phrasing on my part. It's not the bandwagoning, it's the attack-dog nature that is your MO, for right or wrong, for truth or falatiousness. That you used it here to jump on suspicions and make the bandwagon roll is the problem I have. And refuse to tit-for-tat along the way.  That is definitely your playing style, but it seems like it's a bit Spinal Tap in this instance.

Blue is the color for that. Why not go whole hog and vote me though? Do you not want to be responsible for the final vote on someone?
Wasn't scared of that with Fallacy.  But I don't want to condemn you (as I might if A.N.Other is perfectly happy to build on my suspicion) before I'm sure.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: December 28, 2016, 03:38:03 pm »

Bad phrasing on my part. It's not the bandwagoning, it's the attack-dog nature that is your MO, for right or wrong, for truth or falatiousness. That you used it here to jump on suspicions and make the bandwagon roll is the problem I have. And refuse to tit-for-tat along the way.  That is definitely your playing style, but it seems like it's a bit Spinal Tap in this instance.

We can't just wait around for the Evil role to kill everyone. For all we know the "one role to kill the Evil" is actually present, and the fact FoU has only one kill is so he can kill them without being able to murder his way to victory.

I started the voting because it's a bit pointless to try to no lynch through things, particularly if there is a time limit to this. I don't particularly care if it looks scummy - frankly, an understandable thing - so long as we do things.

The problem we're having right now is TBF seems to think we should all trust him to do as he says, when he doesn't have all the information, and his interpretation of the information he does have could be flawed. If we lynch someone, we get a flip, that we can trust, and that we can build on. If we lynch FoU, and he flips Minotaur, we have your roles confirmed, though not necessarily your alignments.

I assume the "tit for tat" part is in reference to my stubborness not to claim. I normally don't want to make assumptions about someone's position, but I think the day ends in about a half hour, so I don't have the luxury of asking about it.

I'm not claiming because it doesn't benefit the town to do so, at this point. I think it actually helps the Evil role.

We start the game - as town - not knowing anything about other players (normally, anyway; I know you and TBF claim to have FoU's role, and he appears to have confirmed that) and having to get content into the game by interacting with other players. Knowing someone's role and abilities is useful, but it can only be confirmed 100% as true from a flip, so a claim doesn't really do anything.

If everyone claims, they will more than likely claim a benign alignment along with it, such as has happened here. That puts us back to square one. As town, we know someone is lying about their role, but we need to figure out who, because they'll more than likely be the Evil role.

Meanwhile, the Evil role has a list of things the Town has claimed, and has their pick of who they should target with whatever ability they have. They quite clearly have the advantage at that point, as the Town are still figuring out who they can trust, the Evil role picks off the most powerful town members 'til they have nothing to worry about but the day game.

If I don't claim the Evil role has to figure out if I am a powerful town member, in which case they should target me to get rid of me to hamstring the town, or if I'm a bit useless, in which case the town loses nothing. I don't particularly care if I get lynched over it, because at least that way there's evidence behind it that y'all can follow up on, as opposed to when the Evil role hits during the night (assuming no watchers or the like)

Wasn't scared of that with Fallacy.  But I don't want to condemn you (as I might if A.N.Other is perfectly happy to build on my suspicion) before I'm sure.

This makes it look like you think I'm not the Evil role, though perhaps just the most suspicious person... what is more suspicious about me than anyone else?

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Marathon (Semi-bastard) Round 8
« Reply #3505 on: December 29, 2016, 01:49:59 am »

Round Over - Scum Wins!

hector13 was killed by FallacyofUrist the MINOTAUR
hector13 was the Champion
Spoiler: Champion (click to show/hide)
Since one side cannot be prevented from winning, the game is over.
FallacyofUrist gets one victory point.

Spoiler: Player Roles (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Action Log (click to show/hide)
    ~~~
Spoiler: EPILOGUE (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:38:04 am by Tomasque »
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: December 29, 2016, 01:51:47 am »

The game is over. Feel free to chat while I tally the Victory Points.
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: December 29, 2016, 01:56:14 am »

I hope you won't hold it against me if I say "told you so" :p

Any particular reason you chose to kill me, FoU?

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: December 29, 2016, 02:21:52 am »

I've added together all the victory points, and I gotta say: these results are pretty interesting. Before I reveal them - who do you guys think won?  :P
Money!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: December 29, 2016, 02:23:01 am »

We're all winners, man. We got to take part in this.

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 237