Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 237

Author Topic: Mafia Marathon  (Read 231008 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Marathon (Semi-bastard) Round 16
« Reply #2505 on: August 10, 2016, 01:56:45 pm »

The mindset questions reveal more about the answerer than asking about fruit :P which I notice you're not following up on.

For example, a number of you have said I have the strongest day game out of us five. This is information the Evil role would like to know, but also information that town PRs might want to know. The Evil role might want me out of the game in case I have a moment of clarity and finger them good and proper as scum, while a townie might want to keep me in the game for the same reason.

Equally so, I might want that attention on me for whatever reason.

It also allows us to see who is suspicious of whom. Moonlit pointed out my suspicious behaviour and suggested I wasn't pressuring enough, for example, and FoU has jumped on a bandwagon very quickly, rather than putting pressure on a different player. Both of these things don't sit well with me, but then again, neither does your lack of input on what you wanted to do with your fruit question, and the plan you suggested you had with it.

That is, however, more regular behaviour for you. I think I'll move my vote to FoU as my choice of lynchee.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: August 10, 2016, 02:39:17 pm »

The mindset questions reveal more about the answerer than asking about fruit :P which I notice you're not following up on.
I'm in and out of signal, but I'll be (near) home shortly, can put my feet up concentrate on tje game and continue things with plenty of time before the day concludes...

Includes addressing the rest of this post, possibly.  (Whoops..  Tunnel... Try again... )

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: August 10, 2016, 04:18:15 pm »

Well we've got two hours to go 'til day end (ish, think it's closer to 90 minutes) so do we want to go for a no lynch or lynch someone?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: August 10, 2016, 04:54:23 pm »

I think taking a no lynch probably works better than not.  More data to work with.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: August 10, 2016, 05:31:30 pm »

Ok, sat down and still again. Sorry, took a while, had to go shopping first.  (And thanks for the fruit suggestions. I actually ended up with some apple turnovers. Somewhat unimaginative.  But with a copious amount of fresh cream. Yum.)

I remain very cynical about these "if you were..." questions. No significantly surprising answers (Fish might have been revealing something, but I've made bigger bluffs myself, both as Townie and non-Townie), and too much WIFOMability.

Scrapping the essay, the TL;DR; is that everyone has something to hide, and if anybody has anything they're trying to selectively reveal to someone else, then its nothing I've picked up on.  Or I have but I'm being equally secretive in my acknowledgement.

I could say that (or generally act as if) I have the ability to nullify the Evil skill, but am I telling the truth (looking for protection), bluffing (intending to be the Fainting Goat) or outright telling porkies (if I were Evil). Or a fourth option that I'm witholding? So much Wine, all of it In Front Of Me...

And it is trivial to play as a different character (holding back and not committing to anything lest your assumptions of others are wrong) in either alignment setting. Hardest of all to do right are the small breadcrumb trails laid down to support a later day's claims when you bounce back in with something definitive about your role, showing as how your carefully protected identity was mentioned all along. (Assuming you hadn't put multiple such identities behind various closed doors, and you open up exactly the one, for people, thst is the most convenient one to allow them through.) I wonder if any of you have done this, honestly or otherwise. But such things don't even need questions, and ate probably easier to do unbidden and unprompted, as it gives one a free hand to craft one's easter-eggs, rather than shoehorn them into a restrictive question-and-answer format.

Okay, that was three entire rewrites, to try to make it short.  Didn't work. Probably didn't help, either.  Oh, fuggit.

(Have I spent, more than an hour on that? Seems like I have.)

@Hector, I don't want to do Evil's work for them. NoLynch suits me, as the likely roles/counter-roles will be hit hardest from a random lynch, IME.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: August 10, 2016, 05:33:27 pm »

No Lynch.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: August 10, 2016, 05:40:25 pm »

I think taking a no lynch probably works better than not.  More data to work with.

Interesting you should say that. What makes you say that?

The "if you were..." questions don't necessarily come into play immediately. Sometimes when someone has flipped we can look back over what they say with the knowledge they were saying something from a particular mind-set (if Evil, to mislead the town, for example) and we can piece together that information with what we've gathered about the other still alive, non-confirmed players to come to a decent conclusion.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: August 10, 2016, 05:47:37 pm »

We'll see a roleflip, we might see investigatory results...
Sigtext

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: August 10, 2016, 06:05:45 pm »

... I'm sorry, what bandwagon? did you vote Starver before me or something?
~~~
Starver: I don't like it when you don't answer my questions.

I like fruit. If you were a fruit, what kind of fruit would you be?
Pomegranate. Either that or some other kind of fruit. If I were a fruit/animal/inanimate object/weapon at some abstract point in the multiverse, how would I, here, know what I was? I could very well be dragon fruit, orange, passion fruit, deku fruit, void fruit, magenta fruit... the list goes on.

If you were to restate that question as "what kind of fruit would you like to be?" then I would answer "I would rather be a human, thank you very much."

Starver: Please tell me how that question is helping you scum hunt.
Purple flags the question.
~~~
Same applies to you, hector.

Hector - Why are you wasting time asking people to answer a question about fruit and not taking the initiative and scum hunting?
~~~
No Lynch.
*snaps*

Quote from: Bookthras
I'm not an IC, but I once wrote a rant about nolynches on Day One that I think would be beneficial for this audience, so I quote it below. In brief, you can (i.e., it's a valid vote, and if it has majority no lynch will happen) but you shouldn't unless you have a very very good reason. Actual ICs will, of course, chime in with their own thoughts, and there are different considerations to be had in subsequent days; the below applies only for D1.

Even in a game like this, or a role-heavy game like a BYOR, paranormal, or bastard, without a D1 lynch people will lack context for the conversation during the day, which is the very point of the day game. The information lost is not just the flip of a person, but who voted them, with what arguments, and forms the very foundation of how the town power roles will choose their night actions. Information is key, and timely information moreso. People flipping at the start of D2 is not nearly as useful, and a nolynch will result in people using their powers on whoever they were voting (if block/investigate) or a crapshoot for protections and the like, due to lack of context and closure.

A D1 no-lynch pretty much wastes all of D1 content, and gives scum a chance to NK/convert/whatever while town has to shoot in the dark. The amount of information lost is not small, but most importantly, you lose the opportunity to use it. N1 will never come again. Even if you learn the information later, you'll never get that night back, which scum got for free. Not good for town at all.

Also considering the fact that the D1 lynchee is almost always town (when was the last time anyone saw a scum hang D1?),
Not that rare. The very last game I played (Cybrid Mafia 3) we lynched scum D1. A couple games before that (Politibastard) as well, though that was a... different sort of game. I'm sure there are several others.

So sure, it doesn't happen that often, but it certainly does happen. Plus the possibility of a mislynch is built into the balance of the game. If there is going to be one, it's best for town that it happens sooner rather than later, so maximum information is provided early. It's never good, but a D1 no-lynch is worse.

Please disabuse yourself of the notion that a D1 no-lynch is good for town ever. Except in very narrow types of games where constant (not just D1) no-lynch can be used to break the setup (which is not the case here), whenever you think a D1 no-lynch is good because it's cautious, it's misapplied caution, and will hurt town much more than a possible mislynch would.
Size added for emphasis.

So, TheBiggerFish, please vote somebody. Even voting me would be a better choice than nobody(though I wouldn't like it much, for obvious reasons).
~~~
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: August 10, 2016, 06:09:03 pm »

Well then.

hector, why did you even ask that question?
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: August 10, 2016, 06:52:43 pm »

Day's over. It was over 5 minutes prior to FoU's post.

Not that it really matters since everybody is voting everybody else :))

Though I'm actually curious to what question TBF was referring..?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: August 10, 2016, 07:04:29 pm »

It might be more useful if this Hectorish questioning at least lets us compare like with like.

If a question about one role gets set to someone of another role, it's a miss whichever way you err through your knowledgless mistargetting.  The next question to the next person being on a different subject to a different person has a similar chance of 'missing' and meaning nothing in the long-run.

At least a single question like "why aren't you evil, and therefore who is?" asked of everyone might let each person bring in their own flavour, to be cross-compared with any subsequent role-flip. Best of all: "Explain yourself and your ideas. No less than fifty words."

Anything else is akin to obfuscation. From someone who famously wants more information, but is actually diluting it.  Oh,  Hector, the only useful vote I can make is this.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: August 10, 2016, 07:06:46 pm »

Day's over. It was over 5 minutes prior to FoU's post.

Not that it really matters since everybody is voting everybody else :))

Though I'm actually curious to what question TBF was referring..?
Waitwhat? Seven hours to go, I thought.

*kicks brain into gear, wanders back to the other threads with much still to read.. *

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: August 10, 2016, 07:47:38 pm »

4pm PDT, 2 hours slower than me.

Probably a good thing seein' as how this would be the first time I've been unintentionally lynched on D1 since my first ever game :))

Also 'cause I'm town. Obviously.

The subtext of the question needs to be considered though, Starver. "Who would you investigate" basically translates as "who are you suspicious enough of to warrant using a night action on" or "who would you want to be cleared as town". It's not a question positing that a player is a certain role it's asking them what they would do if they were that role.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: August 10, 2016, 11:09:50 pm »

Round 16 - Night 1
 When the night begins and the streetlights flicker to life, the silence becomes unbearable. Nothing emits from the luxurious houses except the feeling of tension. And then, when it seems that the devil and death himself must be walking those streets from the abundance of fear alone, the people hear it. A sound more piercing than the silence.

Votecount
hector13 (0)
FallacyofUrist (1) - hector13
TheBiggerFish (0)
Starver (1) - FallacyofUrist
The Moonlit Shadow (0)
No Lynch (1) - TheBiggerFish

Not voting: Starver, The Moonlit Shadow
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 237