Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 237

Author Topic: Mafia Marathon  (Read 231759 times)

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Marathon (Semi-bastard) Round 4
« Reply #375 on: February 22, 2016, 11:34:30 pm »

I would like to discuss round four.
Specifically, its... sheer... painfulness.
The last time I was the evil role(strangler), I felt I had been beaten fair and square. And I enjoyed that round.
This time... not so much. I was basically confused out of my mind, had no idea what to do or what the town were discussing...
~~~
On a balance note, I think negotiator nuked me.
Worry not. I will make it no secret that the message system will not be repeated.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 22, 2016, 11:50:36 pm »

I'll start off with an apology to Tomasque for being a complete fanny that round, it wasn't very nice of me to be petulant just 'cause I didn't like the mechanics. It felt like you were trying to force a scum win 'cause it wasn't happening, though I know logically that wasn't the case.

Anyway:

I would like to discuss round four.
Specifically, its... sheer... painfulness.
The last time I was the evil role(strangler), I felt I had been beaten fair and square. And I enjoyed that round.
This time... not so much. I was basically confused out of my mind, had no idea what to do or what the town were discussing...
~~~
Worry not. I will make it no secret that the message system will not be repeated.

Thank feck :P

My biggest criticism(s) for the round was taking away our ability to do things publicly, like voting, and only posting the vote count at day end, when it didn't really matter anymore. It made it difficult to coordinate the town and address things quickly.

The way you did the messaging was... Understandable, but a bit annoying (I imagine even moreso for you though!) just 'cause the first time I sent a message (D2) there was a bit of activity in the thread, specifically around Moonlit announcing an impostor (TBF's message bouncing coupled with me signing a different name at the me of every message: "heccy" for TBF; "h13" for Moonlit; "hector" for Starver; "hector13" for FoU) while the first reply I had for my PM was ~7hrs later since I had to wait for Tomasque to be on to receive and forward the message, the receiver to be on to read and respond and then Tomasque to receive and forward the reply. Not sure how it could've been done differently while taking into account role shenanigans, though :-\

Glad I cottoned on to FoU D1. Goal :P also, wtf was that vote for Moonlit? :o

Again, since I was bad, I'm sorry for being childish and churlish, Tomasque.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 23, 2016, 12:05:52 am »

@hector
 In hindsight, your reaction was understandable. So... apology accepted!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 23, 2016, 05:33:18 am »

I really didn't like this round.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 23, 2016, 05:53:38 am »

Well, as to the game roles, I was half expecting somebody (Hector, at first - and I was very nearly considering TMS in this role later!) somehow had the power to target a person and become a man-in-the-middle.  First of all blocking everything, and then perhaps even capable of fully faking communications with 'the others', if not just hijacking messages in both directions to suit their own agenda.

Interesting to see that Hector's role was partially of this kind... or could have been!  With Fallacy having other bits to it.

Luckily, I decided that it would have been too complicated a mechanism to work out, so I went more with my gut than my paranoia. ;)

Note, above, for those I didn't already tell:"(n) Negotiate: You may choose to send your message to the Evil role. It can be anonymous, and they will not know they were contacted using a power."  Thought that meant "Night power".  Didn't use it Day 1, and didn't have anything else to message, so I ended up not doing so.

To save the Mod their sanity, I'll reveal my own role in the more abnormal bits of the message log:
First attempt, Day 2, as Fallacy knows (but I was worried that a good-guy had message-receiving capabilities!) was to pretend to be a secret mason-buddy, restricted post ('Twitter theme', seemed like it would work) to explain the anonymity, to try to get the Evil role to broadcast the word "Tweet" on the open channel so we could identify each other.  Never happened (that I saw!).

So I tried again.  Faked my inability to contact anybody (well, played upon the real situation that only Hector was talking to me, by that point... which was making me suspicious of Hector) in a 'broadcast' message (but really to just the Evil role) desperately asking for confirmation.  That one netted a Urist (but only once we were in Day 3)... but I still couldn't be sure there wasn't a redirect.  But it was the best lead I had, and with the vote-counts as they were at end of Day 2 I decided it was worthwhile.

Then my first trap sprang upon FoU, apparently.  (Don't know if you only just discovered that... but of course there was no Open Channel communications at that time.)  But it wouldn't have worked if the role-list, as revealed by TMS, had made its way outside the rest of the group.

More by good luck than good judgement.  My problem then was being persuasive whilst, at the same time, not revealing too much information that the hypothetical non-FoU evil person could use.  (Although I utterly spilt the beans to Hector, in compensation for the assumed error of Day 2! If I'd been wrong about being wrong, and I'd have been originally right, I'd have scuppered everything!  And then TMS gave me cause for some slight doubt, although I pushed those doubts aside by the end.  TBF definitely looked legit, by that point, but then there was the difficulty of saying anything without it unavoidably leaking!)

The Secret ability of Fallacy explains how the entirely fictitious Loremaster role was still receiving messages, I suppose.  Obvious in hindsight.  But 'WTF is a Loremaster?' was my thinking.  Although as "a teller of tall tales", it was easy to believe it had some dark purpose behind it.  The disadvantage of having to make up a themed name, as usual.

(You will have gotten another brief, anonymous, message, by my skill.  Designed to teasingly look like a brief reply that went astray, I wonder if you thought it was the Impersonation skill that grabbed it, if you'd worked that part out by then.  Although it nearly backfired, as then TMS asked for a "confirmation reply" (straight after the "dim" one!) that looked very alike to what I thought I'd sent in this last case... making it look like TMS was perhaps taunting me, as the Evil who had worked out what I was doing.  And had perhaps somehow managed to persuade Fallacy to frame themselves, along the way.  Confusing!)

Don't know how many (if any?) Imitated messages came my way under a different guise, though.  Or headed elsewhere.  I'd already decided that I couldn't handle that sort of complication, and just tossed that possibility to one side.  (But maybe my developed habit of signing/timestamping my messages could have helped, in a fix.  Although it could so easily have backfired, too!)

I really didn't like this round.
It was certainly a challenge.  I had severe headaches (pretty much!) trying to get my head around the concept, until maybe half way through Day 2.  And even after that, I had niggles of doubt and pangs of remorse that I hadn't even done anything useful Day 1, through whatever error I had made.  I was luckier than I deserved to be, in some of what I did.  (Although I wonder, if I had managed to help lynch Hector, Day 2, who would have ended up "In The Flesh"ed.  Could have gone either way, from there on!)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:57:48 am by Starver »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 23, 2016, 09:11:16 am »

I would most certainly have chosen FoU if I had died prior to D3, in an effort to frame the bugger. If necessary, I would've revealed myself by using one of my signatures, too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 23, 2016, 09:12:21 am »

I'll save you all some trouble. I never used Imitate.
I never figured out an effective way to use it. Send message that appears to be from somebody else... person that receives the message responds... bang- "I didn't send that!". All it would do would be to create a moment of confusion.
If hector and I swapped roles, I imagine this might have turned out very differently.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Marathon (Semi-bastard) Round 5
« Reply #382 on: February 23, 2016, 09:30:37 am »

Round 5 - Night 0
 Darkness falls on Little Suburbia, and soon the moon is high in the sky. Outside the gated community, parties are raging, but here, everything is peaceful and safe. Almost.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:34:06 am by Tomasque »
Money!

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 23, 2016, 08:45:20 pm »

Round 5 - Day 1
FallacyofUrist has been marked! If no one is lynched today, he will die!

In the morning, while the rest of community is thriving in its decadence, 5 concerned citizens gather together. It seems that one of them was seen acting in a very unacceptable way. Accusations are thrown around, but in the end, nothing sticks. They'll have to take this from another angle if they want to find the one in their midst that threatens their gentrified way of life.

Votecount
Hector13 (0)
FallacyofUrist (0)
TheBiggerFish (0)
Starver (0)
TheMoonlitShadow (0)

Not Voting: hector13, FallacyofUrist, TheBiggerFish, Starver, TheMoonlitShadow

Day ends Thursday, 6:00 PM.
Money!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 23, 2016, 08:52:55 pm »

Is this Starver's first round as the evil role? Hm.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 23, 2016, 08:59:38 pm »

Is this Starver's first round as the evil role? Hm.
No.  But don't let me stop you speculating.

No, he was the strangler, wasn't he?
That was FoU. (Twice now the Evil one, for anyone who's counting...  But that's being meta, which I don't think will work.)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 23, 2016, 09:04:53 pm »

I DON'T WANT TO DIE!
~~~
hector13: Win condition. Yours. That's what I want you to state.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 23, 2016, 09:08:12 pm »

I DON'T WANT TO DIE!
~~~
hector13: Win condition. Yours. That's what I want you to state.

Yeah, 'cause if I'm the scum I'd tell you :P

Eliminate t' Evil role is the wincon.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 23, 2016, 09:10:35 pm »

Do you know all of your win condition?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 23, 2016, 09:14:25 pm »

Different than "Eliminate the Evil role"?
If I wasn't forewarned about the possibility of such things, I'd vote you.
~~~
I am an Investigative role. Last night, I investigated hector13. My result, you ask? That will wait until a win condition claim is finished.

I will win when the Evil role is eliminated.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 237