Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 237

Author Topic: Mafia Marathon  (Read 231135 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Marathon (Semi-bastard) Round 14
« Reply #2235 on: July 08, 2016, 09:56:23 pm »

I don't see how FoS = "Gonna target u bro".

Even if it was, Starver claimed complete ignorance of their action.

Speaking of, Starver, do you want to claim what you could have done?  Do you even know?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: July 08, 2016, 10:11:11 pm »

We are capable of deception, TBF...

What else could an FoS 5 minutes before deadline be?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: July 08, 2016, 10:54:07 pm »

Ok, I didn't think it worth comment, but...
When have I ever told anyone not to say anything? I may counsel against revealing certain pieces of information, but that doesn't mean I want you to be quiet. There's more than one way to skin a cat find scum in mafia, none of which are useful if you don't actually interact with others.
I never heard anything other than a shutting down of conversation.

And, fully understanding that I think that, you vote my way...

Oh, and for a FoS. Can't actually remember the last time I officially FoSsed, so maybe it was something tricky and strategic, but even if I deliberately sniped it in at the end of the day, it altered nothing.  It could definitely wait to be discussed. Although as I gave my reason, I was hoping you'd have a decent counter.

Like reply to:
Logic is seemingly impeccable, but what then do we do?
...like you could be said to have conveniently ignored.

I don't see what the point of it was, other than to say "I'll be targeting you during the night, bro."
I'd have to go into the territory of bluff, double-bluff, etc, to so label myself as the author of your nightly demise.  If anything, I've probably protected you, by highlighting (assuming the bad guy is neither of us) a handy scapegoat for the real enemy. Which I'll admit is something I overlooked until the cold dark of night.

Could speculate further that he wants the cautious one out of the way so the rest of you claim willy-nilly so he knows who to target, but as I say, speculation.
Right now, your idea could be as valid as mine, save that I know what I intended and what I've been misread about, and I know that nobody else knows this.

De-spoilered, there being no use for it:
It has occurred to me that the Evil role might have an action that is controlled by another player, perhaps so we can't just figure out who they are when we do get 'round to claiming.
Whether the evil is (unknowingly?) controlled, or not, only one person does not seem to have an inkling of this more general scenario. Whether this leads credence to any particular theory, or not, I can not yet divine.

Sorry, took ages with this, slightly ninjaed.
Fish: Too early to specify what I know, by my judgement.  Too late if I already overspoke and clued in the wrong person. But it's different to your initial stated assumption.

Hector faulty logic, as mentioned above. Now please stop ninjaing in-between my periods of good signal.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: July 08, 2016, 11:03:33 pm »

(Not all signal problems.   Nginx error 504s, also, but above did post it seems.)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: July 08, 2016, 11:13:30 pm »

It did. I'll respond to your nonsense tomorrow :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: July 09, 2016, 12:13:20 am »

Yes, I know that.  However, it's a far less plausible claim than 'didn't act', which lends it some credence.

I don't know, a FoS, hector?

I agree with Starver.  You shut down conversation quite handily there, without even providing an alternative line to pursue.  Sure, you normally do that, but not even discussing a broad round mechanic?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: July 09, 2016, 12:41:47 am »

Yes, I know that.  However, it's a far less plausible claim than 'didn't act', which lends it some credence.

I don't know, a FoS, hector?

I agree with Starver.  You shut down conversation quite handily there, without even providing an alternative line to pursue.  Sure, you normally do that, but not even discussing a broad round mechanic?

To paraphrase an aggressive meme: Quote me, bro. You find a quote in which I specifically stated I didn't want to discuss the round mechanic before I wake up tomorrow (9am Central), and I'll vote for myself.

If you don't, consider this an accusation of buddying with Starver, or piggy-backing on his arguments, most likely to be followed by a vote.

For both TBF and Starver: one thing I will say before bed is that I'm not the only player in the game. If you're going to rely on everyone else to come up with topics to discuss, why are you playing the game?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: July 09, 2016, 12:44:58 am »

So.  Can we claim if we've got a controlling action/a controlled action?

Do you think that's a good idea on D1? None of us have much of a sense of what's going on. Could be the Evil role is the controlling force, do you want to tell them everything right at the start?
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: July 09, 2016, 12:47:32 am »

I honestly don't expect you to stay voted, but that does sound like 'we shouldn't talk about the round mechanic', if I'm right about the round mechanic.
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: July 09, 2016, 12:52:33 am »

And I'm pretty sure I'm right about the round mechanic.
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: July 09, 2016, 09:48:00 am »

So.  Can we claim if we've got a controlling action/a controlled action?

Do you think that's a good idea on D1? None of us have much of a sense of what's going on. Could be the Evil role is the controlling force, do you want to tell them everything right at the start?

No, that's telling people not to claim on D1, because that would be stupid. We have lost games from people doing that.

Here is me discussing the mechanics of the round.

What makes me so special that I have to come up with topics of discussion, yet when only FoU does, you don't jump on Starver or Moonlit? (This also applies to Starver, who I'll reply to in a bit as batteries need to be charged, both physical, mental, and electrical.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: July 09, 2016, 10:35:32 am »

First one vaguely counts, although is a bit obvious. Second is a shoot-down (unless you intended to make me think it was more likely). Third is after I called you out, perhaps to divert from your own pre-emptive OMGUS.

(By the way, OOC: Hello from Penzance.  Not seen any pirates yet.)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: July 09, 2016, 01:38:30 pm »

Now for the long, long reply to Starver.

Ok, I didn't think it worth comment, but...
When have I ever told anyone not to say anything? I may counsel against revealing certain pieces of information, but that doesn't mean I want you to be quiet. There's more than one way to skin a cat find scum in mafia, none of which are useful if you don't actually interact with others.
I never heard anything other than a shutting down of conversation.

And, fully understanding that I think that, you vote my way...

Another paraphrasing of aggressive memes: prove it, bro. I've mentioned before I sometimes find it difficult to penetrate what you're trying to say.

Specifically:
Pondering, now my power is recharged...   FOS on Hector, but far too little information to tell.  (Precisely why the FOS, shutting down speculation.)  I hate Day 1s.

Now this is going to come across as really nit-picky, but it's what caused me to think you weren't providing a reason for your FoS. You used a comma and didn't say to whom you were referring (you or me) so I assumed you were saying "I'm not going to provide a reason for my FoS" as opposed to what you meant, which was "the reason I'm FoS'ing hector is because I feel he's shutting down speculation." Had you used a colon instead, I probably wouldn't have misinterpreted it. This was also partly as a result of you dropping the FoS with 5 minutes left in the day, which I'll go into in the next bit.

Oh, and for a FoS. Can't actually remember the last time I officially FoSsed, so maybe it was something tricky and strategic, but even if I deliberately sniped it in at the end of the day, it altered nothing.  It could definitely wait to be discussed. Although as I gave my reason, I was hoping you'd have a decent counter.

If it could wait to be discussed, why did you drop it with 5 minutes to day end? This was your only contribution for the day, and you gave no time for discussion, and it also happened to be on the only person voting for you. You know I'm not going to keep discussing things post-deadline, as I have probably said at least once every round "day's over, stop talking" or some variation thereof.

Thus, I panicked a bit because I felt it was very likely to influence night actions, and I had no time to get into a discussion about what you were saying - which I consequently misinterpreted - and the fact that I felt it was a massive OMGUS.

Like reply to:
Logic is seemingly impeccable, but what then do we do?
...like you could be said to have conveniently ignored.

I addressed this a bit with TBF: I'm not the only player in the game. You were silent D1, with the exception of your 5-minutes-to-deadline-FoS. Why didn't you bring up something to say? Why are you not throwing shade TBF or Moonlit's way?

FoU came up with something, but nobody did anything about it. Moonlit posted the same picture he had earlier, TBF agreed with him - same as he did earlier - and then FoU complained, so I asked him to answer his own question so we knew what he was trying to get at. He offered nothing, and you were entirely silent during proceedings. After advising folk not to do a bone-headed move like claim D1, I was the only one who even tried to get someone to offer something new.

I don't see what the point of it was, other than to say "I'll be targeting you during the night, bro."
I'd have to go into the territory of bluff, double-bluff, etc, to so label myself as the author of your nightly demise.  If anything, I've probably protected you, by highlighting (assuming the bad guy is neither of us) a handy scapegoat for the real enemy. Which I'll admit is something I overlooked until the cold dark of night.

Well you accepted this argument was WIFOM, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm not convinced your intentions were benevolent. I told you what I felt you were doing with your FoS, which is part of why I reacted the way I did and continued voting for you at the start of the day.

Could speculate further that he wants the cautious one out of the way so the rest of you claim willy-nilly so he knows who to target, but as I say, speculation.
Right now, your idea could be as valid as mine, save that I know what I intended and what I've been misread about, and I know that nobody else knows this.

Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us, then? Might be more helpful than "I know you're wrong and nobody else knows why, so nyeh."

De-spoilered, there being no use for it:
It has occurred to me that the Evil role might have an action that is controlled by another player, perhaps so we can't just figure out who they are when we do get 'round to claiming.
Whether the evil is (unknowingly?) controlled, or not, only one person does not seem to have an inkling of this more general scenario. Whether this leads credence to any particular theory, or not, I can not yet divine.

It was spoilered so folk would know from reading the tag that I was speculating, rather than building on anything specifically that I know about.

First one vaguely counts, although is a bit obvious. Second is a shoot-down (unless you intended to make me think it was more likely). Third is after I called you out, perhaps to divert from your own pre-emptive OMGUS.

(By the way, OOC: Hello from Penzance.  Not seen any pirates yet.)

How does the first one only vaguely count? I was speculating about the evil role, then was trying to get Moonlit to explain what he was saying, through implication than explicit questions.

He then proceeded to confuse me more with his response, immediately after the linked post, and I linked the post after that in my second link, saying he wasn't actually clearing things up, followed by him saying he was guessing. Now, right at the start of the game is not necessarily the best time for guessing, so I agreed with FoU that we'd actually better start scumhunting. No amount of speculation will help us find the scum if we don't actually interact with the other players.

I did suggest to TBF not to claim, because I thought that would be a stupid thing to do D1.

The third link was me continuing my vote from the previous day, so how is it an OMGUS? I voted you on D1 because you had said nothing, and then you dropped an FoS on me right at day end, which we've gone into already.

I'm presently stuck between continuing voting for Starver or going for TBF. He piggy-backed on Starver's argument, and when I pointed that out he backed off. Not sure how to interpret that.

I have noticed that they have both ignored my questions on why I'm such a special snowflake, too.

Not pleased that Moonlit and FoU are slipping way under the radar though. Perhaps they'd like to interject with their thoughts?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: July 09, 2016, 08:39:08 pm »

Quite a lot of that is actually reasonable, Hector. I completely understand your comp, aint about my comma. In the related part about my sniping, I can't say more to convince you, probably, but I geninely did not have a clue as to end-time*. With ill-intent, I'm sure I would have been less 'obvious', but that's almost self-WIFOMy, obviously.  Meh. Not worth the argument.

I also miss input from the others. (I think one might have useful information about me, BICBW. And whether we'd bofh agree it needs sharing is a big question.) But Mafia waits for Gnome Ann...

* I occasionally go and search out the cycle-start message again, but it's a lot of (comparative) effort when I'm in a general rush to catch up. I'd use a secondary browser tab, next to this one, if I didn't already have... 41 of them on tbe go, for other things.  Maybe (assumng not there already... no, but round results are; nice!) Tomasque editing in "latest round start" and "latest cycle start" links to OP would make it a two-step process to find them (at the cost of more effort by Tomasque) if not just that info there.  But I shall endeavour to keep an eye on this better. ...Darn!  I've no idea when D2 is ending,  I realise.  Hang on... ... ... took a few clicks.  Tomorrow (now today) at 7pm, local. I shall be here by that time.  Touristy enough to have a signal if not perhaps Wifi!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: July 09, 2016, 11:08:29 pm »

BICBW?????

Also, FoU, I think we're all waiting on that answer.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 237