Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cashflows - The Cosmic Comedy of LIFE and Corporate Servitude (3/4 players)  (Read 2912 times)

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This game will be a parody of Robert Kiyosaki's board game combined with aspects of The Game of Life.

You win when your character and/or its descendants no longer have to work for a living.

Each game round will represent 1 year of life. Your characters will age accordingly. A round is divided into the following phases:

Game Sequence:

Pre-year planning phase:
Global Rolls to determine macroeconomic factors such as fiscal policy, interest rates (interbank), recessionary and expansionary periods.

Roll to apply any effects of health and other detrimental effects on your character.
Your character sets its goals and budgets for the year.

Job Phase:
Personal rolls to determine effects of work performance on KPI. Critfails can result in retrenchments.

Rolls to determine strategic performance and health of character's workplace based on factors beyond the character's control. Again, critfails can result in joblessness even if you "did nothing wrong".

"Casual Spending" Phase:
Determines effects of casual spending. At the beginning of the year, a player can direct their casual activities towards areas in life they want to improve. Like reducing stress, picking up a hobby, spending money on certain forms of entertainment, or even taking night classes. The more specific the player is on this, the better.

Rolls can also cause random effects in the course of the pursuit of casual life.

Investments Phase:
Characters will be given the opportunity to buy investments of various types, tiered according to what they can afford. According to Robert Kiyosaki, passive income, financial freedom and the keys to happiness come from investment cashflows.
We will be doing our best to simulate realistic ROIs however.

Unforeseen Fun Stuff Phase:
What it says on the can. If shit can happen, it will happen in this phase.

Planned Expenses:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Economic Concepts:
It is the year 2016...
The Benefits of Ricardian Rents have been fully realized. If property is a wonderful investment, be assured that every rich person in your civilization has gotten there before you. Anything that transacts tends to have extremely high prices and very low yields.

The rest of you crabs in the Proletarian Bucket can play with new toys like structured investment products and derivatives. Nothing can possibly go wrong with this. Honest. (I may try to simulate stocks and bonds if the maths doesn't drive me crazy.)

Consumer inflation occurs at 5% per year, regardless of what happens to the interbank interest, investment returns... or your wages.

Character Mechanics:
Character Creation

Fill in the details. You have a relatively blank check...

But all characters start from lower-middle class backgrounds with mundane parentage and mundane connections/peerage. They are also 18 years of age.

Name:

Describe key traits of your character that might help him/her in life:

State Your Character's Desired Education Level:

State your character's desired Industry:

Other bio stuff goes here... what has your character done before reaching adulthood?:

Deploying the Character:
Pre-Career Education phase:
We roll for high-school GPAs, and add your character's other skills, hobbies and traits into the mix.

Your character can then choose between the following education paths, according to their abilities and stomach for pre-career debt. All student loans are installment free until the course of study is over, of course.

Technical College - $10,000 per year for 2 years
Diplomas and 1 year associate degrees - $5,000 for 1 year
Some kind of community college degree - around $10,000 for 3 years
An Honors degree from a prestigious university - $20,000 upwards per year for 4 years. Also requires illustrious high-school resumes and perfect academics.
Post Graduate Degrees - adds another 2 to 6 years of study. Upwards of $60,000 a year if done with a prestigious university.

Career paths with high barriers of entry - namely Engineering, Law, Accountancy and Medicine, require degrees from prestigious universities. The rest of the population can make do with the mass-education bullshit.

We then roll for performance. Dropouts are possible on critfails. Students can choose to work to support oneself at the expense of academic performance, or take on even more debt for living expenses.

If a student survives all this, we take the sum of his performance and stick a piece of paper to his name. A player can overwork a character to improve the odds and get more negative traits and imbalances stuck on them when the character graduates.

And then, the character is expected to get a job and play the game of life. We will add years to the character's starting age if it goes through any post-highschool education.

Marriages and breeding:
Characters can choose to marry at any time, and usually get a spouse near their own station in life. If a character so happens to succeed at Gold-Digging, or is a high-flying executive who falls for a secretary (I'm looking at you, Tony Stark), they will suffer the associated social stigmas that come with such behavior.

A character who dies without an heir will lose everything. Extremely desperate characters can adopt children from the third-world, or orphans from the lowest classes of society.

Fertility is based on a balance of probabilities of a character's health and personality. Contraception for the sake of family planning is possible, but should it fail, any child born will suffer some effects from being an unwanted accident.

Weird traits and behaviors can be hereditary.

Game Pace: 1 round per week, each round consisting of the above 5 phases. I will take 4 players first, and see if I can cope with that.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:56:59 am by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any feedback or interest?
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile

I AM INTIMADATED BY NUMBERS BUT I MUST PERSEVERE!

((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile

This sounds super complicated, but let's try it

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cashflow by itself isn't that complicated... But we must write a version worthy of Bay12...

I'll roll for character weaknesses when I get back from school.

Is character design a real job? I'm guessing it overlaps with graphics and digital media.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cashflow by itself isn't that complicated... But we must write a version worthy of Bay12...

I'll roll for character weaknesses when I get back from school.

Is character design a real job? I'm guessing it overlaps with graphics and digital media.
Yeah it means their design the meanings behind it concept art and stuff like that sometimes you might do a little story writing for the character sometimes they maybe might ask you to animate it if you can.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did some rolling. I was going to use the seven deadly sins, but thought the chakras and the tree of life would be more fun.

Julie rolls 2, 3, 4, 5 , 10 and 12. On a d12

I think I'll roll again for magnitude.

I've assigned Julie to suffer from...
Hedonism
Chronic Asthma and Sinusitis
Allergic to everything, especially dust.
Willful and stubborn
Idealistic and fanatical
Generally frail health, muscles and bones
Blasphemous
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:25:44 am by Aigre Excalibur »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did some rolling. I was going to use the seven deadly sins, but thought the chakras and the tree of life would be more fun.

Julie rolls 2, 3, 4, 5 , 10 and 12. On a d12

I think I'll roll again for magnitude.

I've assigned Julie to suffer from...
Hedonism
Chronic Asthma and Sinusitis
Allergic to everything, especially dust.
Willful and stubborn
Idealistic and fanatical
Generally frail health, muscles and bones
Blasphemous
So those rolls were for the traits above yes?
My feelings on her

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yub. Rolls were for the above traits. I assigned paths 1 to 10, to their respective numbers, 11 for daath, 12 for the soul.

I roll Bob Johnson on the 7 + 1 deadly sins with a d8.

He scores a 2 and a 5.

But his virtues of patience and contentment save him from fornication and envy.
We assign him Solomon's table of abominations instead and give him:
Dishonesty
And Cruelty

Doesn't quite fit his character though, I'll roll on the Mandala again and see if we can find more subtle vices...

Bob Johnson rolls a 2 and a 9 on the tree of life. I assign him vices from the two of pentacles and Gamaliel.
Bob Johnson does not cope well with change.
He is also emotionally dead and zombie-like.

I'm still in class. I'll finish deploying these characters when I get back.

Ask yourselves, how badly do these characters want to finish school?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:10:47 am by Aigre Excalibur »

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's time to Quantify what we can!

Name:Derp Julie Angelicus
key traits:Attractive Nerdy Commpasionate and caring good with animals and has great artistic talent
bio stuff: Has blue eyes and purple hair with wavy hair  and is 6ft2 and cacuasian and currently skinny owns a cat named whiskers amd she mainly played videogames went to school played forum games and read.

Advantages:

Attractive +2 to social skill tests
Nerdy +4 to intellect tests and Nerd cultures
Commpasionate - Empathy gives her more intuition
Caring - Same as above
good with animals and - Empathy bonus to
has great artistic talent - artistic skill

Banes:

Hedonism - Desires pleasure in all forms. Somewhat promiscuous.
Chronic Asthma and Sinusitis - -2 strength, -2 endurance
Allergic to everything, especially dust. -2 endurance
Willful and stubborn
Idealistic and fanatical - Social Penalties around people who disagree with her.
Generally frail health, muscles and bones -2 str -2 end
Blasphemous - Penalties around religious people

Stats on the ER scale: Modifiers to a d6 roll

Strength:      -4
Dexterity:     +0
Endurance:    -6
Charisma:     +2 and -2 around opposing views and another -2 around religious types.
Mind:           +4 and +2 in artistic activities
Fate:            ?
Intuition:      +4

Preliminary Highschool GPA rolls:
= 3.91/4.00

Rolls for qualifying for a top university:
And she qualifies.

Rolls for University GPA
= 3.6875
She barely gets a first class honors.

Rolls for a Master's Degree GPA
= 2.75
She is awarded a Masters Degree with Merit

She also rakes up $35,000 x 4 in debt for her Bachelor's degree
And $60,000 x2 in debt for her Master's Degree

Derp Julie Angelicus starts life with $260,000 in academic debt alone.
But with a Masters Degree with Merit. That should make her feel better at least.
Her student loan is at an interest of 6% per annum.
Ammortized over 10 years, she has to pay $35,325.67 per year
Ammortized over 20 years, she has to pay $22,667.99 per year
Ammortized over 30 years, she has to pay $18,888.72 per year

Pick one.

She also spends $10,000 a year in living expenses for another $60,000... but we'll assume she worked it off in part-time jobs without affecting her studies. (otherwise that student debt payment gets pretty crazy. But that's how much those universities can cost.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:50:00 am by Aigre Excalibur »

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's Bob's turn

Name: Bob Johnson
Key traits: Patient, knows how to fill out forms, doesn't care much for luxury
Other: A rather boring life and personality. Prefers to wear white business shirt, tie, and slacks. About 5'4". Pale skin and black hair with brown eyes. As a child his parents made him do the taxes, and his adolescence only saw him getting more droll work piled on. He isn't sure whether they are going to let him keep any money or keep it all for themselves.

Advantages:
Patient +1 end, +1 mind
Content bonuses against most sensual vices
Paperwork fetish?

Banes:
Does not cope well with change -2 sanity whenever environment changes
emotionally dead. -2 intuition, -1 charisma

Strength:      +0
Dexterity:     +0
Endurance:    +1
Charisma:     -1
Mind:           +1 and bonuses to paper work
Fate:            ?
Intuition:      -2

Community College GPA
= 2.375
He gets a degree in Finance with a Credit.

And only $30,000 in student debt.
Ammortized over 10 years, he has to pay $4,076.04 a year.
Ammortized over 20 years, he has to pay $2,615.54 a year.

Again, pick one.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:08:22 am by Aigre Excalibur »

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I kinda liked the idea of my boring guy also being a cartoonish villain, but this works too...

Guess we'll go with 10 years, 4000 a year is actually not too bad as far as payments go... Though perhaps I should see what my income would be before making obligations...

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

20 year option is fine
So begin looking online for job applications in the video game art industry and and take up our old hobby of playing video games but pay attention to design elements in the game see where things go wrong and when things go right in a modern product.((i think that's a good name for that part of the industry.))
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:39:18 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name:Jacob Norman
Key traits:very good memory,basketball player,bad at math,plans ahead a lot,uncreative,unpersuasive,somewhat smart,extrovert
Desired Education level: university
Industry: sports(probably coaching maybe as a player
Other:good at history,likes to wear  vests and sweaters,dislikes suits ,hoping to get sports scholarship,enjoys cooking,still stays in contact with his mother who is  a  track coach , his father who was slightly autistic works as a telephone manager for a life insurance company.drinks tea rather than coffee.highly religious(Baptist),has entire book of romans memorized.can read Latin
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:34:41 pm by High tyrol »

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I kinda liked the idea of my boring guy also being a cartoonish villain, but this works too...

Guess we'll go with 10 years, 4000 a year is actually not too bad as far as payments go... Though perhaps I should see what my income would be before making obligations...
Oh right, action...

Find a job, stop being a lazy bum. Ideally something that uses the degree.
Pages: [1] 2 3