Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with butchery stockpiles?  (Read 7730 times)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Help with butchery stockpiles?
« on: January 27, 2016, 01:48:31 pm »

My fort has a thriving industry. We import caged animals, and export bone, horn, and ivory crafts for far more than the animal was worth.

But I'm having some trouble with the stockpiles, specifically what stays near and in my butcher's shop. I have multiple stockpiles but nonetheless the system is still broken, and I would like your help with that.

Butcherable vs non-butcherable corpses (and limbs): Is there a way to set a stockpile to only accept one or the other? I'd like butcherable corpses stored next to the butcher's shop (to trigger "Butcher a Dead Animal" but my dwarves keep trying to store goblins there :/

Spinal tissue: Is there a way to have this dumped automatically so it doesn't sit there and cause miasma?
Cartilage: Is there a way to have this dumped automatically so it doesn't sit there and clutter my butcher's shop?
Bone, Horn, Teeth: I'd like this moved to be stored in a stockpile next to my Craftsdwarf's workshop, but I'm not entirely sure how.

Hair/Wool: Is there a way to have this moved to a stockpile that accepts nothing else?

ADDITIONAL, SEMI-RELATED PROBLEM:
My hunter keeps wasting valuable crossbow bolts to hunt down chinchillas, which my dwarves refuse to butcher for some reason. How do I stop this?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with butchery stockpiles?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 01:55:35 pm »

all three of those fall under 'Refuse' I believe, and to do most of what you want you should use the advanced 'custom stockpile' menu, or change preexisting stockpiles to fit your needs. (Noted I may have used incorrect terminology for that statement which may be confusing.)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:02:17 pm »

Refuse, not corpses? ...huh. Okay, that helps >_>
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Antikythera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 02:34:56 pm »

my craft shops have a refuse stockpile with;
all types OFF except fresh raw hide
corpses OFF
body parts OFF
all others ON

my actual refuse piles have the inverse

i also channel down from the surface and bridge over it to create a safe underground space that is 'light' and 'above ground'
both my actual refuse pile and butcher are located in this space and miasma is never created.

the channeled down space is actually multiple z levels with constructed floors on all but the bottom level. the bottom level is muddied and farmed.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 04:48:29 pm »

As of 0.42.X corpse stockpiles store all sapient creatures, while all others go into the refuse one. That will take care of most of the separation problem, but tame animals that die from any cause other than butchery can NOT be butchered, and that includes livestock "butchered" by e.g. invading goblins. These animals are lost.

A refuse or corpse stockpile "outdoors" does not generate miasma.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 05:07:48 pm »

i also channel down from the surface and bridge over it to create a safe underground space that is 'light' and 'above ground'
both my actual refuse pile and butcher are located in this space and miasma is never created.

the channeled down space is actually multiple z levels with constructed floors on all but the bottom level. the bottom level is muddied and farmed.

Would that trick work for windmills as well? Channel down, build a bridge, put the windmill in the space under the bridge, and the machinery being powered under that. Hmmmm. !!Science!! is needed.

Gentgeen, Scholar       Pondering Fluid Mechanics!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 05:23:22 pm »

1. Yes. Disable non-butcherables or butcherables in the stockpile menu.

2. Spinal tissue/miasma: Not for a dump zone. You can, however, have it tossed into a minecart and dumped into magma. Best solution to miasma is above-ground butchery and refuse stockpiles.
Bones/shells/skulls: Refuse stockpile set to only accept those.

3. Yes. It's in the options for cloth/thread stockpiles.

4. Forbid him from using the valuable ones, or just make more so they're not so valuable. Maybe just spam stacks of slightly inferior bolts for him to use?

Stockpile links and minecarts are your friend. Especially when it comes to storage and disposal of stuff into magma.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 05:48:19 pm »

If you use (o)rders, and hit (r)efuse, there are various options for auto-dumping of refuse items.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 04:26:25 am »

@gentgeen: A wind mill's central tile has to be "outside" as well. A roof makes the area underneath "inside", so that won't work, but I can't say what the area under a bridge is considered to be (and a wind mill's central tile will make a wind mill whose central tile is directly underneath it unusable, by the way).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 05:11:11 am »

If storing miasmic corpses/butcher rubbish in the open air is too hard/unviable, making a two layer 3x3 ditch (smooth the sides preferably to stop things crawling out as I'll elaborate) rubbish dump hole can solve your problem.

I have supplied a optimal design for you (Key) (F - Floor) (X - Floor Grate) - (H -Hatch)

X X X
F H F
X X X

Designate a dump zone (being sure to activate/deactivate it if you're using quantum stockpiles) around the hatch's 3x3 perimiter and dwarves will dump stuff automatically into the hatch below landing at the bottom. Floor grates block miasma and give a visual indication its there for decoration should you forget.

Finally putting a retracting bridge at the bottom to destroy the contents via atom smashing will complete your dwarven dustbin. Useful for management especially on undead biomes where butchery produce may reanimate if not processed fast enough. (hair and skin particularly for panic dumping if your tanners or spinners decide to take a nap or do something else while you got slaughters queued up, having a hauler & butcher trained in combat tasked to the area via burrow helps too *Wrestler and Hammerdwarf tag-team for instance*)

The dustbin works on anything living or dead that can be pitted and atom smashed. You may want to apply multiples around your base for disposal reasons if its efficient enough for your tastes.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 01:07:53 pm »

If storing miasmic corpses/butcher rubbish in the open air is too hard/unviable,

... just have a diagonal approach to your dump zone, because miasma will not spread diagonally.

X X X
F H F
X X X

Designate a dump zone (being sure to activate/deactivate it if you're using quantum stockpiles) around the hatch's 3x3 perimiter and dwarves will dump stuff automatically into the hatch below landing at the bottom.

This has never worked for me.  I've tried various times over the years to get a garbage chute with a hatch cover on it, but dwarves do not open the hatch before dropping their stuff on the tile.  They just drop it on top of the (closed) hatch cover where it sits.

Finally putting a retracting bridge at the bottom to destroy the contents via atom smashing

Atom smashing requires a drawbridge (i.e. a raising bridge), not a retracting bridge.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:10:16 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 05:43:48 pm »

If storing miasmic corpses/butcher rubbish in the open air is too hard/unviable,

... just have a diagonal approach to your dump zone, because miasma will not spread diagonally.

X X X
F H F
X X X

Designate a dump zone (being sure to activate/deactivate it if you're using quantum stockpiles) around the hatch's 3x3 perimiter and dwarves will dump stuff automatically into the hatch below landing at the bottom.

This has never worked for me.  I've tried various times over the years to get a garbage chute with a hatch cover on it, but dwarves do not open the hatch before dropping their stuff on the tile.  They just drop it on top of the (closed) hatch cover where it sits.

Finally putting a retracting bridge at the bottom to destroy the contents via atom smashing

Atom smashing requires a drawbridge (i.e. a raising bridge), not a retracting bridge.

Oh dear i phrased myself dreadfully there. You are correct, raising not retracting. I meant raising but got my syntax wrong slip of the tongue eh.

Applying a lever to the hatch (probably handy to have someone close doing other jobs be conveniently around) means you can just dump that stuff that accumulates easily.

Antikythera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 10:56:04 pm »

Would that trick work for windmills as well?

i'm not familiar with windmill useage. i'm not sure if building one normally produces power without a gear underneath.

but i built one unconnected to anything on one floor of my (inside, above ground, light) underground space.
it produced no power.

i guess as the post above suggested the key factor here is the (inside) tag.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 05:22:04 am »

A windmill produces power without a gear, but latitude determines if there's any wind to be harvested, so even when doing it right you may end up with zero power.