Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Imagine if there were gaming microtransasctions in real life  (Read 1796 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Imagine if there were gaming microtransasctions in real life
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 12:27:34 pm »

So what, would you pay in soul-money?
And then suddenly politicians and CEOs made sense.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 12:37:17 pm »

Keep in mind that you can't just magically convert your dollars for soul-dollars. You have to make a transaction,  giving your money to someone with lots of souldosh. And if god catches you, you'll probably get smited and banned.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 12:42:15 pm »

The exchange rate means that soul cash is of higher value.

I do not think that means what you think that means.  For instance the exchange rate means 1 euro is worth more then 1 dollar right now.  That doesn't mean euros and dollars aren't interchangeable.  And the exchange rate between dollars and yen is very pronounced but you'd hardly be poor if you had an equivalent to a dollar fortune in yen.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:44:41 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 12:42:38 pm »

"With the new 9/11 expansion, engage in frothing patriotism over the most stunning and horrifying attack in human history!

9-11 was an expansion. This amuses me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So what, would you pay in soul-money?
Karma. This might change the dynamic of the conversation a bit. :P

Huh. Yes it would. the implication being, that people who are privileged in this life...deserve it, because they earned the points they used to purchase those perks through their actions during previous lifetimes.

I bet there are probably even real world religions that believe this.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 12:57:24 pm »

The exchange rate means that soul cash is of higher value.

I do not think that means what you think that means.  For instance the exchange rate means 1 euro is worth more then 1 dollar right now.  That doesn't mean euros and dollars aren't interchangeable.  And the exchange rate between dollars and yen is very pronounced but you'd hardly be poor if you had an equivalent to a dollar fortune in yen.
Yeah, I'm not too good with exchange rates. Rephrasing: soul cash is worth more than any real life currency.

@Lord Bucket: Lots of people believe that! For instance, millionaire Christian evangelicals. :P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 01:01:44 pm »

Pfft...real life P2W. Only 3rd World noobs grind.

8 hours to grind grains to make flour, 3 hours to get drinkable water from nearest source, and then your end-result is trash-tier gruel?

Fuck that, I'mma drop .99 and get me a Big Mac in like 2 minutes.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 02:15:29 pm »

Rephrasing: soul cash is worth more than any real life currency.

Miles (imperial or nautical) are more distance then any kilometer.  Does your car drive farther in miles or kilometers?  The numbers are different but the distance is the same.

When the news talks about currencies being strong or weak, they are talking about the balance of labor and trade markets.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:21:23 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 02:19:13 pm »

Pfft...real life P2W. Only 3rd World noobs grind.
Pretty much. A large portion of these "life DLC's" already exist. They're called purchases. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 11:26:58 pm »

I kinda wish Real Life patched out the requirement of money for dating. It's been a pay2win feature for too long, and I'm not exactly made of money, not to mention my character stats are meaningless. Like Magic Defense in FF6. I mean, for all I'm worth, I'm still Johnny Bravo with the ladies.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 11:33:08 pm »

We have those where I live. The county government started charging for the use of what we're previously carpool lanes, by way of cameras that read your license plate or a payment identification you put on your windshield and bill you for individual uses of the lane. They even adjust the price in real time based on the amount of traffic (gouging up to $12 a trip). They also graciously hijacked a regular lane for a second "carpool" lane.

Micro transactions are pay to win shit, always will be.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 11:47:49 pm »

Heh...yeah, toll roads are pretty much microtransactions incarnate. I pay $1.40, get to Fast Travel around the queue. I can even sign up for a subscription that gives a discount on the microtransactions.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 03:49:34 am »

In the book Ubik (if i remember correctly, been reading too many sci fi books lately that i might confuse a few) there's a nice description of how micro transactions would look like in real life. in our real life, you can already pay to upgrade your clothes (obviously) and status, you can pay to upgrade your appearance by having plastic surgery, you can cut through diet by having/purchasing stomach stapling which increase your health, agility, charisma etc. you can pay to improve your vision. in the extremely close future, we could also pay to upgrade other stuff as well.

In the book, the concept is more about free to own, pay to use. the characters gets everything for free, but they pay a small amount for the usage. they have to pay to open the fridge, use the phone, open the front door, pay the coffee machine etc.. reading it is very much reading a dystopia since the people don't actually own anything and have to pay just to keep the basics operating, but it actually could be a viable alternative paying scheme for short term living. instead of having to either buy a house or pay rent and buy everything else, people would get everything for a lease for free and pay for the volume of usage. for a student that spends most of his time away from his apartment or a businessman that works 12 hours a day and has to travel a lot, it could be a viable option. obviously for the long run it wont be, but people could make that decision themselves. it obviously can't totally replace ownership, but as a niche paying system it could have merits.

Btw, once self driving cars really kicks in, which isn't far off from now, car ownership would gradually be replaced by Uber like services that operate robotic cars and car usage would be similar to microtransactions: Wanna take the shortest path? pay more. wanna travel alone? pay more. wanna travel with only women (For other women)? pay more.

But, yeah, the tolls and fast lanes charges are more similar to what micro transactions does in games, the Ubik description is more like an Onlive platform for real life. i wonder if such paying scheme for a local game would be attractive: you d/l the game for free, play once for free and then after the second launch, or after a set period of time pay like 0.1 for every relaunch and 0.5 USD for an hour of play time. for an AAA game like Civ 5 it could actually be more profitable for Firaxis and for the players, where the casuals pay less and those who didn't like it probably wont pay at all, having the more dedicated plays pay the lion's share.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:53:16 am by Vilanat »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 05:57:54 am »

So....rich people could use their advantage of wealth to get more advantages?

How is this different from real life?

My thoughts exactly.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 06:11:27 am »

fukin pay to win scrubs 1v1 me pvp
-Komrade L337nin
Pages: 1 [2]