Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which symbols can you see? They should not be a little empty square if they are working.

Dice: ⚅⚄⚃⚂⚁⚀
- 29 (6.5%)
Chess Pieces: ♔♕♖♗♘♙♚♛♜♝♞♟
- 30 (6.7%)
Arrows 1: ↘↑↓←→↖↗↙↔↕
- 30 (6.7%)
Music: ♯♩♪♫♬♭♮♯♩♪♫♬♭♮
- 29 (6.5%)
Voting boxes: ☐☑☒
- 28 (6.3%)
Weather 1: ☁⛈⛅
- 20 (4.5%)
Weather 2: ⛆
- 15 (3.4%)
Smileys: ☺☻
- 30 (6.7%)
Stars: ★✰
- 30 (6.7%)
Time: ◑◐◕
- 28 (6.3%)
Weather 3: ☀
- 30 (6.7%)
Moons: ☽☾
- 28 (6.3%)
Mail: ✉
- 30 (6.7%)
Pencil: ✎✐
- 30 (6.7%)
Hands: ☜☞☝☟
- 30 (6.7%)
Cards: ♠♡♢♣♤♥♦♧
- 30 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Great Bay 12 Symbol Exam Vol.1  (Read 2137 times)

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
  • Turn to face the strange
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Bay 12 Symbol Exam Vol.1
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 01:18:38 pm »

Starver I am jealous of you fancy isometric dice. How'd you do it?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 03:50:43 pm »

Starver I am jealous of you fancy isometric dice. How'd you do it?
It's purely the font...  But, as you can see, only works properly at higher-res with the non-central dots merging into the cube-edges at certain other smaller scales (depending on the effective pixel differences).

I've actually gone through all my installed fonts (59 of them) to try to find out exactly which font might be providing the ⚅ character specification, and the rest, but I can't currently find it on any of them...  Certainly that doesn't seem to be a "Symbola" addition.  I've loads of other interesting fonts, but nothing else particularly exotic since the FreeFonts that appear to have come along with OpenOffice several years ago...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 04:17:22 pm »

Doesn't appear in Charmap, but they are the Symbola characters....

Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 05:07:49 pm »

...and here's a practical image of the variations of font from my machine.

Image (719x2464 .png file, 250kb, in case that matters.)

(Darnit, it downsized it.  I'll investigate and correct this if possible, but you get the idea...)

Representative 'standard' Ariel in first column just for comparison.

Three columns each, for font size 10, 15 and 20pts under each main font-column, for illustrative purposes.

Red cells are where I got 'just an box' unknown character displayed (empty Voting box looks identical under Arial, but I'm assuming it's 'real').

Yellow cells are where that font's own unknown character features (question-mark in box for a couple of the Free fonts, or that swirl in the Palatino Linotype) seems to be the only alternative.

DejaVu (that one being the DejaVu Sans, other versions are similar, but DejaVu Serif has a lot of 'reds') is almost complete, and in fact as complete as FreeSerif (yellows marked where the former has its few reds) but only Symbola covers all the characters that were given in this thread's poll...

(Of course, that's just my versions of these fonts, YMMV.  And that's in a situation where 'gaps' in a font-set aren't automatically filled with another, where available.)
Pages: 1 [2]