Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Toady: "So I started on the ability to specify materials for tasks." HOORAY!  (Read 5279 times)

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile

Oh man. So hyped for this change. I mean, for starters, every dwarf who has benefited the fort will have a statue of himself / herself in their quarters. Temples will be filled with statues of appropriate deities. Dead dwarves will have statues of themselves at the head of their coffins, along with a memorial slab. Figuriens of elves getting slaughtered as appropriate trading goods. And our glorious dwarves standing triumphant over their cringing enemies will decorate the roads leading to our glorious fort.

Oh, and ability to specify rings for those damn mandates. Good times.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do wonder if it's possible to have procedurally generated baked goods.
Like, given a set of ingredients and instructions, can a simple program accurately predict what the result will be like?
I suppose you could "calculate" the result by guessing what each ingredient (egg, flour, milk, etc.) would do. An easier way around it would be to have "base" recipes like cake, bread, and so on, and tack on some other ingredients. Elf blood muffins, perhaps.
Agreed. Even if flour, milk, eggs and sugar always makes a cake, your choice of flour, milk, eggs and/or sugar (even though we only have one kind of sugar at the moment; I suppose you could choose between dwarven sugar and dwarven syrup) should make a difference in the taste and texture of the cake. And that's to say nothing of ingredients beyond that!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I sort of liked drunken bastards making what they want without being able to control that directly.

Yes, I definitely hope Toady keeps that option around. 

Having the option to specify is great, but needing to specify everything would make playing take forever.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Knowing Toady, there will probably be some incentive to let dwarfs make whatever they want unless you have a specific reason for them to make a specific thing, and I mean other than the micromanagement you'd be saving yourself.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile

or you can select a historical figure, site, civilization, etc. and leave the worker to decide on the final image.

Considering this little quote from his latest update, I'd say you're still very able to just let them go with whatever their drunken minds come up with. I'll be doing a blend of both. Specific stuff when I want it, but otherwise they can have a field-day with it. :3

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

I sure hope he retains a "I'm Feeling Lucky!" random option for old-times' sake! 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

(all the old behavior is maintained)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust the plump helmet! ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
    • View Profile

Now it is here and many thx for this update. It is truly dwarfy, what can be done now with the new item specifications. That opens up a great new way of expressing oneself. I do especially like that you can now design your own statues and engravings and even specify the number of figures/items appearing and what they are doing. Also it is fun to see that now the details of engravings are visible on the floor and wall themself. I am already curious what's more to come.

Unfortunately the job specifications appear to be missing for the kiln, kitchen, still and some more. But probably that's something planed for the next update? Also I noticed that when e.g. 8 logs of wood are required for a job, you can select materials with less then 8 available causing an job cancellation message. Will be better to either mark this material as unavailable red or to be allowed to select a different wooden material for the rest, similar to the building of Constructions like Walls, etc.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:26:02 pm by Urist McGoombaBrother »

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh my god.
1. Accept petition from someone who will butcher sentient beings
2. Slaughter elves
3. ELF LEATHER FOR ALL.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile

This is great news for my latest site: gabbro and granite for blocks, jet for jewelry, marble for decorations and furniture.

No more tedious micromanaging!
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

This ought to optimize some of the workshop grounds here and there in some new fortresses now.

At least I no longer need  to manage separated stockpiles for various works, and can just tell them what to work with now, cut some of the overall work needed now.
Pages: 1 [2]