Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Poke  (Read 37573 times)

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
Re: Poke
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2016, 09:14:04 am »

What does the crystalline projector look like?
On the subject of the crystalline grenade, since I can't mess with the ammo itself due to the black box nature of it, could I instead just take a bunch of aster ex and stick it to one side of a crystalline projector ammo clip so that when the aster ex explodes it shoots all of the seed crystals at once?

Hmm well you could but that would probably just blow up the seed crystals.
Could the amount of crystals that survive be determined by an uncon roll?
((Just tell me if this is getting annoying and I'll stop.))
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:18:33 am by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2016, 12:15:35 pm »

ask for a pocket dimension to test within other universe's.

if you can generate a stable doorway you can pull out infinite reaction mass, and it breaks down really quickly so it wont leave any pollution or radiation behind.

Not a bad idea!

Hey pw, do pocket dimensions seem to work in other universes? And could they be used to create infinite reaction mass, or do they become unstable once too much material is pulled out and not replaced?

I bet answer is: Why don't you try it?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2016, 12:18:12 pm »

if you can generate a stable doorway you can pull out infinite reaction mass, and it breaks down really quickly so it wont leave any pollution or radiation behind.

Not a bad idea!

Hey pw, do pocket dimensions seem to work in other universes? And could they be used to create infinite reaction mass, or do they become unstable once too much material is pulled out and not replaced?

I bet answer is: Why don't you try it?
Because I'm on mission!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2016, 12:47:23 pm »

Failing? Depends on your definition.

Failing to operate as designed.
...well, yes. See, a grenade that explodes in your hand is still technically doing what it's designed to do in a way.

Not a bad idea!

Hasn't been tried, but the difficulty is less "do they work" it's more "where can we put the anchoring machine once we leave this universe?"

because it works as long as the anchor is here, otherwise we don't know and probably not.

What does the crystalline projector look like?
On the subject of the crystalline grenade, since I can't mess with the ammo itself due to the black box nature of it, could I instead just take a bunch of aster ex and stick it to one side of a crystalline projector ammo clip so that when the aster ex explodes it shoots all of the seed crystals at once?

Hmm well you could but that would probably just blow up the seed crystals.
Could the amount of crystals that survive be determined by an uncon roll?
((Just tell me if this is getting annoying and I'll stop.))
No.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2016, 12:50:25 pm »

Hasn't been tried, but the difficulty is less "do they work" it's more "where can we put the anchoring machine once we leave this universe?"

because it works as long as the anchor is here, otherwise we don't know and probably not.

So as long as you have the 'anchoring machine' inside the universe you're in (and assuming said universe isn't null or anything) then whatever tech behind it should work, meaning you can use them?

What is the size of such an anchoring machine? Small enough to be transported with our current EUE? And could an anchor be transported in parts and assembled on-site?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2016, 01:16:36 pm »

So as long as you have the 'anchoring machine' inside the universe you're in (and assuming said universe isn't null or anything) then whatever tech behind it should work, meaning you can use them?

What is the size of such an anchoring machine? Small enough to be transported with our current EUE? And could an anchor be transported in parts and assembled on-site?

I mean they'll work in other universes because the anchor is in our universe, where it functions. You'll have to bring the anchor machine (size of a semi-truck) into other universes to test if it works there.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2016, 01:19:16 pm »

I mean they'll work in other universes because the anchor is in our universe, where it functions. You'll have to bring the anchor machine (size of a semi-truck) into other universes to test if it works there.

Ah, ok then. And so if we find at least 1 universe where the anchor works, we could then place the anchor there and use pocket dimension tech across other universes as well. Am I understanding things correctly?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2016, 01:36:40 pm »

Wait, are you saying that we could create pocket universe doors while in other universes, so long as the Anchor is working here? Could that be used to create a physical "doorway" (Like in the current mission) between our own universe and another one?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2016, 08:18:15 pm »

The inside of  pocket dimension has the same or similar laws as our original universe, could we fill one with dimensional anchors to bypass the need to leave them behind?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2016, 11:22:50 am »

Ah, ok then. And so if we find at least 1 universe where the anchor works, we could then place the anchor there and use pocket dimension tech across other universes as well. Am I understanding things correctly?
Yes

Wait, are you saying that we could create pocket universe doors while in other universes, so long as the Anchor is working here? Could that be used to create a physical "doorway" (Like in the current mission) between our own universe and another one?
No. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. The other doorway never seems to form.

The inside of  pocket dimension has the same or similar laws as our original universe, could we fill one with dimensional anchors to bypass the need to leave them behind?
You could try...but I suggest not doing it.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2016, 04:38:10 pm »

How do I obtain immortality?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2016, 04:50:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, thing is, in some situations it really might be better to keep the people closed in if there's lethal radiation storms outside, whereas in other said storms might be weak enough to warrant letting people outside. I'll quote something from the tinker thread to try and give you a better idea of what I mean:
So, it would basically try to give the colonists as much freedom and quality of life as it can afford without endangering the long-term survival of the colony.

That's why I have difficulty setting up a standard requirements list, because different universes might ask for radically unconventional base designs. From the Wikipedia page on 'Colonization of Mars':

So, a list like this would be the minimal requirements for any colony, but how each item is achieved is difficult to predict.

For example, on a planet with good, livable conditions outside, the colony might decide not to build a real rec room and instead just let colonists entertain themselves outside, saving resources for other projects. But then in another universe, where due to circumstances usable space is really limited, it might decide to provide all leisure through VR machines because there just isn't any room for a real life rec room. And in a third it might decide that a regular rec room is an acceptable use of resources. But that all depends on the circumstances, which vary so wildly (at least, from what I've seen from the universes explored already) I dunno if any 'standard requirements list' would be worth anything.

If you are afraid that you won't be able to come up with a good base design for a particular universe, you could always just ask us for inspiration. Or, ask yourself the question 'what are the main difficulties and limitations for this universe? How do they relate to filling need X? How could that need still be fulfilled then?

Remember that you won't have to describe (or even work out) every colony in every universe we send these to, just when necessary.

Fair enough. You can leave this entirely in the computer's hands then, if you want.  But it's gonna at LEAST need a prime directive. Some overriding goal for its construction and management. Just in case it runs into things it has no background for.

Does this work as an answer?

And some clarifying (well, 'clarifying') statements:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:21:52 am by Radio Controlled »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2016, 07:52:04 pm »

Is it possible to use an Id Manifestation to practice medicine? If so, is Mesk a possible manifestation for, say, his disembodied hand?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2016, 09:10:54 pm »

I could help with that.

I mean, I won't. But I could.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2016, 09:14:49 pm »

I could help with that.

I mean, I won't. But I could.
What if I say please and get you pizza?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16