Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lead/platinum/gold/nickel/zinc/ weapons and armor?  (Read 2291 times)

stillrabbit730

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
lead/platinum/gold/nickel/zinc/ weapons and armor?
« on: January 24, 2016, 01:09:31 am »

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a mod(s) that lets me make weapons and armor out of every metal in the game
any information would be appreciated

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
Re: lead/platinum/gold/nickel/zinc/ weapons and armor?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 05:43:59 am »

I recommend checking this page out http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Material_definition_token
Add the following to the raws of the metals
Code: [Select]
ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED
ITEMS_WEAPON
ITEMS_ARMOR
ITEMS_ANVIL
ITEMS_DIGGER
ITEMS_AMMO
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:23:29 am »

Well, you could add the [ITEMS_???] tokens to the metal template, but bear in mind that this will put NPCs completely at the mercy of the RNG.
An enemy with lead armour and aluminium weapons isn't going to be very satisfying to fight, and raws weak metals outnumber relatively durable ones in the raws by at least 2:1.

If you want ceremonial pieces, you might want to make a set of custom reactions to the forge (or a special workshop).
The easiest way to go about this would probably to make one reaction per item, accepting any metal, and controlling which metal gets used with linked stockpiles.
Won't be able to make handwear this way, though.

stillrabbit730

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 01:35:38 pm »

thank you for the information, where is the metal template in the raws?
if possible can you give a file directory

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 02:21:08 pm »

thank you for the information, where is the metal template in the raws?
if possible can you give a file directory
Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\inorganic_metal.txt

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 02:40:00 pm »

To save time, you can also go into material_template_default.txt and add those tokens to [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE].
That will apply them to every metal in Vanilla.

On a related note, adding reaction classes to material templates is a good way to work around the sometimes-finnicky reaction system.

stillrabbit730

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 04:42:04 pm »

thank you to everyone that helped, i can now make platinum war hammers and silver picks.
now one final question how useful is silver armor? like better than worse than copper? iron? etc?

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 05:07:57 pm »

There hasn't been much ‼SCIENCE‼ on non-weapons grade armor, but my guess would be that, as a heavy, soft metal, silver would be among the worst armor you could make.

That said, I usually do this mod myself, because having gobbos show up with lay pewter swords and zinc axes amuses me to no end. :P
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 09:55:18 pm »

Even platinum would be awful despite being fairly strong just because of how hilariously dense it is.

This also makes platinum the best blunt material in the game, though. It's stronger than silver and heavier.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 06:43:15 am »

Even platinum would be awful despite being fairly strong just because of how hilariously dense it is.

This also makes platinum the best blunt material in the game, though. It's stronger than silver and heavier.
Slade?

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 12:34:03 pm »

Slade?

Hmm. While it would do way more damage, I think the dwarf would be slowed down too much for it to be really viable in a combat situation.

BRB, doing some arena testing.

EDIT: Speed does matter, but not as much as I thought. Without armor, the two hammers were more or less equal. Once everyone wore full steel armor, though, the platinum hammers barely stood a chance.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 01:24:33 pm by Edward_Tohr »
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 03:04:27 pm »

Also, with ITEM_ANVIL, be aware that although you can create non-fire-safe anvils, they can't actually be used for anything.  In order to avoid grief and confusion down the line, you may want to avoid adding that to any templates and just assign it manually.

As far as metals go, I think Tin is the only problem, but if you expand this to wood or stone, you'll have more issues.