Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Scrap Mechanic - If Besiege, Robocraft and Minecraft had a baby...  (Read 5546 times)

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Scrap Mechanic - If Besiege, Robocraft and Minecraft had a baby...
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 09:45:04 pm »

This is the kind of thing that fuels the anti-Early-Access fires. It's... kind of shit. As in I wouldn't pay anything for it. It's good for maybe a few minutes of playing around and then you're done.
Sorry, just to be clear: it's shit because of the lack of stuff to do, or does it have other issues? (Even if it's the former I'm obviously not going to shell out money for it yet.)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 11:24:00 pm »

Oh yeah, the sandbox aspect is cool. We're mostly just criticising that this game is ONLY a sandbox, and is too expensive for something that's only a sandbox with no game elements.
Minecraft is a sandbox but also a game. There's challenge in finding food and battling creepers. The reward for time invested is a safe home and big farms - i.e. you can overcome the challenges to construct cool buildings and such.
I'd like to play Scrap Mechanic, but at this point it just doesn't have enough features or challenge to justify the cost.

I dunno, I guess we're just different. I kinda hated the survival aspect of Minecraft. Like, I'm building my stuff and exploring, why does some creeper have to get up all in my face and explode and destroy the stuff that I've been creating, along with myself? I dunno, I really enjoyed Minecraft even when it was free (?) and just had a dozen types of cubes? Not even picks... just adding and removing bricks - left click and right click. I also remember playing "Conway's Game of Life" for hours when I was a kid.... or The Incredible Machines in free build mode.

To just outright say the game is shit because they give you tools for you to tinker around with is... not very objective, I guess. It's a sandbox game, where you can geek out and build complex stuff, like houses that transform into cars and stuff like that, or whatever you get your mind around to doing. It sounds really cool. For me. Maybe not for others.

I'm not gonna pay $20 for it, because there are already a billion games kind of like this that never really go anywhere, so the track record isn't amazing. But that's more of a statistical analysis of the potential for a project's technical success as opposed to a criticism of the game design itself.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 01:35:54 am »

Oh, I'm not criticising the game design. I'm just saying there's not (as far as I can tell) enough stuff to justify the cost (which we appear to agree on).

Personally I find games much more fun when there's some element of challenge involved, which is why I'd like to see that added to this as well. Obviously if you prefer a heavily-featured sandbox then you're going to prefer that the game go in that direction. Really it's just personal preference.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 01:51:20 pm »

This is the kind of thing that fuels the anti-Early-Access fires. It's... kind of shit. As in I wouldn't pay anything for it. It's good for maybe a few minutes of playing around and then you're done.
Sorry, just to be clear: it's shit because of the lack of stuff to do, or does it have other issues? (Even if it's the former I'm obviously not going to shell out money for it yet.)
Lack of stuff is all really. The mechanics that are set down are solid at what they do (which is quite limited, but hey), it just isn't £15 worth of content.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 08:17:49 am »

Necrodoot of the 1 year kind. (again)

I've been working with logic circuits, and was experimenting with the plausibility of making a VHDL -> Logic Gate Blueprint program; Any tips?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 11:55:53 am »

Can't help you with that as I don't have the game.

But since I've been reminded of its existence...what is the current state?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 03:09:54 pm »

Can't help you with that as I don't have the game.

But since I've been reminded of its existence...what is the current state?
Quite good, large community, native modding, steam workshop support, etc
Pages: 1 [2]