Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scrap Mechanic - If Besiege, Robocraft and Minecraft had a baby...  (Read 5551 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Now in Steam early access.

https://youtu.be/C4Kgdvc6cBg

Build a house. Rig your house so it can transform into a vehicle. Crash your house-vehicle. Rebuild your house vehicle, twice as big and twice as awesome, then crash it again!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scrap Mechanic - If Besiege, Robocraft and Minecraft had a baby...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 08:06:03 pm »

Woosh WAY too expensive for such an unproven product...

I think I'll watch a letsplay first. The last time I did this I ended up with From the Depths... which is fun but still.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:51:40 pm »

Woosh WAY too expensive for such an unproven product...

I think I'll watch a letsplay first. The last time I did this I ended up with From the Depths... which is fun but still.
Hey neo you have from the depths? i have been looking for some ppl to play with! hook me up on steam names jocan2003! My icon is a an american M416
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 08:58:19 pm »

Well my point was

This is probably fun too.

I was being incredibly roundabout and vague. I do want to try it first, right now all it seems to have is building and.. building.

And I am all about "The point". Even Kerbal Space Program gave you goals and objectives like planets.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:21:24 pm by Neonivek »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 03:44:45 am »

I really like the idea and how the devs are going for simplicity. The controller and sequence stuff is really cool, people making transformers with very few simple parts.
I also heard they have an idea for a lore, and AI drones that could/should destroy your stuff and steal parts.
But yeah, it's a very neat idea, but there's no substance at the moment. It has been in my watchlist for a while and I still se no reason to buy.

It was funny, though, seeing a bunch of low-subs youtubers getting review copies and saying "Woooow, this is so awesome, I could do this the whole day!" while they make something that only goes forward and crashes with no consequences into the ground.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 07:11:47 am »

As a space engineers player, seeing all those moving parts with no explosions, catastrophic failures, physics glitches, massive game slowdowns, or bugs launching you into space and/or sinking you through the world makes absurdly jealous. 

I'm not sure how I feel about the art style, and I have no idea if it's actually ever going to go anywhere and be an interesting game... but goddamn it makes me want to rage so hard at how broken SE is.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 07:30:14 am »

$24? Lolnope

I mean, I'd easily pay that much if I knew the game was going to be worth it (and I actually had the cash on hand >.>) but something like this that doesn't really seem to have any point... not so much.

I think the game works better as a proof-of-concept: "hey lookie we have reasonably complicated physics that isn't buggy as hell", which is quite the achievement, but as a game it's kinda lacking. Some sort of competitive bent where you build transforming rocket house tanks and face off against other players (with non-shit matchmaking) would be glorious.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 08:08:35 am »

"hey lookie we have reasonably complicated physics that isn't buggy as hell"

eh, infernal robotics did that, as a mod, and it's beyond reasonably complicated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEUJgeiONyk&feature=youtu.be&t=70s

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 12:11:14 pm »

*Insert passive-agressive comment of how the game's early in development here*  :P

But really, folks, let give the guys at least a year.
However...I really don't understand this new trend of Early Access stuff, in which it seems more like a Kickstarter to me.
I mean, when a game's Early Access I assume it's on early beta development stage, not prototype / "pre-alpha" or alpha state.
The most absurd example of this I've seen recently is a game called Planetary Prospectors: A.R.M. If you check it on Steam, you can even see my review.
You can easily check the discussions (for A.R.M.) and see how the developers themselves don't even seem to know what direction they are headed. They don't know if they are going to make a sandbox game or a linear story with sandbox elements.

Even though Scrap Mechanic is way more polished and much less bizarre than the game I mentioned, I still think it's really bad to 'burn your publicity' in such early stages. There's lot of indie games that gets decent coverage when they reveal themselves, but that's it. They can become masterpieces later on, but they never get the same attention as before.
This is just my perception, though, I could be entirely wrong.

P.S.: If you ask yourself "Why the hell did you even buy that broken space game?", well..it had good discount last sale and I was a bit desperate for space sandbox games.  :P
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:12:46 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 12:42:22 pm »

Well, looks like this is worth watching at least.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 05:10:30 pm »

I think the game works better as a proof-of-concept: "hey lookie we have reasonably complicated physics that isn't buggy as hell", which is quite the achievement, but as a game it's kinda lacking. Some sort of competitive bent where you build transforming rocket house tanks and face off against other players (with non-shit matchmaking) would be glorious.

What is odd to me is that so far they don't advertise a single point.

and nothing, for me, kills a game faster then being pointless... no matter HOW amazing it is.

or rather "if I wanted to play with legos, I'd play with legos"

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 06:23:02 pm »

What is odd to me is that so far they don't advertise a single point.

and nothing, for me, kills a game faster then being pointless... no matter HOW amazing it is.

or rather "if I wanted to play with legos, I'd play with legos"

What is so wrong about computer Legos? I only always played Minecraft (or other sandboxy games) because it was basically Legos! I'd start walking around, see something really cool, and say: HOLY CRAP I'M GOING TO MAKE A CLIFF HOUSE UNDER THE WATERFALL or somesuch nonsense. And then I'd have a blast completing my own personal goals.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 06:35:54 pm »

Oh yeah, the sandbox aspect is cool. We're mostly just criticising that this game is ONLY a sandbox, and is too expensive for something that's only a sandbox with no game elements.
Minecraft is a sandbox but also a game. There's challenge in finding food and battling creepers. The reward for time invested is a safe home and big farms - i.e. you can overcome the challenges to construct cool buildings and such.
I'd like to play Scrap Mechanic, but at this point it just doesn't have enough features or challenge to justify the cost.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 08:23:42 pm »

I second OW's post. Its a neat idea, and I've seen some interesting videos about it, but $20 for a EA sandbox is too much for me.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 08:38:04 pm »

This is the kind of thing that fuels the anti-Early-Access fires. It's... kind of shit. As in I wouldn't pay anything for it. It's good for maybe a few minutes of playing around and then you're done.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: [1] 2