Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reactions with variable ingredients should allow you to choose which one to use.  (Read 543 times)

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Say you've got a reaction like "make cheese from milk". For the sake of simplicity, it uses one milk, and produces one cheese. But here's the problem: you can't really control what milk the dwarves will get. So I suggest that reactions that can have multiple ingredients - say, because it only looks for MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT, or just asks for generic constructing material - would bring you to a list of all possible ingredients when chosen. After you choose your ingredient, you'll be taken to a different list if there are more variable ingredients, or to a final window containing every ingredient the reaction will use, and every product it'll produce based on the ingredients, where you can still abort it if you screwed it up, or go through with it if that's what you wanted.

This would work in the manager window, too.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile

How would this be different from linking the relevant workshop to a stockpile that only has one kind of milk enabled?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

There's a DF Hack plug-in for it, and I believe something like this is already planned.

Update Jan 24: Toady's working on something related right now. At the very least it sounds like you'll be able to choose the base material and what art depicts.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:22:32 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?