Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vidya game suggestions for a strategy fan?  (Read 1621 times)

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
Vidya game suggestions for a strategy fan?
« on: January 21, 2016, 12:16:27 pm »

Been looking for something to play that's a bit different from the usual.

Any suggestions? The more complex the better!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vidya game suggestions for a strategy fan?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 12:35:49 pm »

The more complex the better? Dominions 4. Especially multiplayer. It's turn based and has PBEM. The Ai is somewhat competent but not comparable to a player in terms of adaptability and such.

There are a lot of people here who play it in the Play With Your Buddies subforum of the Other Games forum, and a Dominions 4 thread in Other Games.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 12:37:14 pm »

"Strategy" is a bit of a broad category and you might want to narrow it down a bit.

If you are interested in RTS, try Outpost 2.  It's an obscure old one.  Not commercially sold anywhere, but there's a fansite where you can get it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 12:45:14 pm »

Shouldn't this be in the other games forum?

I don't know what you mean by 'strategy'... so...
You could try something from Romance of the Three Kingdoms / Nobunaga's Ambition by Koei.  'Historical' games based on a time period.  You rule a faction, you can grow old and die... or die on the battlefield, same with all the officers in-game.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 12:47:51 pm »

Yea, ~strategy~ can mean tons of different things game wise, so I'll suggest a bit of each.

Dominions 4 as mentioned previously is pretty good and complex as all hell when you actualy get into advanced strategies and your army, province number and enemies increase. Its rather unbalanced at times, though, but people keep releasing their own balance mods so you can pick and choose what seems most fair or fun to you. Also, its easily moddable, it seems.

Crusader Kings 2 is a pretty nifty grand strategy game overall, much more focused on careful plotting and reacting to events rather then sending armies to crush all opposition, though that certainly is an option. Other nice grand strategy games are the Europa Universalis, Victoria and Hearts of Iron series, all by Paradox entertainment.

If you consider tactical rpgs ala Final Fantasy Tactics to be strategy, know that disgaea is getting a Steam release next month. Its not terribly complex at first, but there's a lot of character and item tweaking you can do, and the game certainly is challenging at times. Good deal of customization, too.

There's also XCOM 2 comming out in a few days.

RTS wise, there's AI war, which is pretty damn challenging and complex when you get into it.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 01:18:00 pm »

Rather than using a balance mod, I prefer to think of the less or more powerful nations as basically a handicap level: If you're much better at the game than the people you're playing with but you don't want to steamroll them all, you can play a weaker or more difficult nation, or play them in a more difficult way. Conversely, there are also easier nations with advantages, like MA Ulm. They have tradeoffs, too, of course.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 01:28:31 pm »

Warzone 2100 and Impossible Creatures are Real Time Strategy games that have the gimmick of designing your army from different components.

Warzone is open source and free, and IC was ported to steam recently for 10-15 US$
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 01:45:01 pm »

Sorry for the generalization, what I mean is turn based, or grand strategy a la Crusader Kings 2. I like real-time, but love turn based more so.

And it sounds like I should definitely check out Dominions.

Already played Crusader Kings, love it. Still haven't truly figured out how exactly to play it though, should probably try it again sometime.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 02:14:40 pm »

Two suggestions:

1) Start by listing most everything that you have played and enjoyed. You don't want people recommending stuff that you've already played, or stuff that you just don't dig for some reason.

2) Maybe move this thread to other games? It's not that it's absolutely wrong to have it on GD (I think), but some people with the relevant interests will probably fail to notice it if you leave it here.

Anyway, here are my equally vague and generalized strategy game recommendations: the Combat Mission series, the Total War series, and of course, pretty much anything by Gary Grigsby.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 02:47:54 pm »

Distant Worlds is fun if you like 4x games. It's a space empire-building game on a massive scale.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 03:19:08 pm »

The Warlock series are good turn-based fantasy 4x games
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 03:26:38 pm »

A request for good turn-based strategy? I'd probably have to commit sudoku if I didn't mention Aurora.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 03:40:17 pm »

You've probably played Civilization already, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to bring it up.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 03:48:40 pm »

There's the Shadowrun remakes and Xenonauts.

The Temple of Elemental Evil is a turn based RPG, probably the closest game to the D&D 3.5 ruleset.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 04:04:57 pm »

A request for good turn-based strategy? I'd probably have to commit sudoku if I didn't mention Aurora.
Especially since he called for complexity.  Few games are more complex than Aurora. ^_^

Let's see, Dominions is good; Conquest of Elysium from the same developers is also quite fun, but more of a "beer-and-pretzels" strategy game compared to its younger brother.

Gary Grigsby's games are also good for complexity, though I've never played any due to the cost; I'll also admit a bit of a fondness for AGEOD's games.  Mentioning Outpost 2 also reminded me of Outpost 1, which I considered as having brilliant potential in spite of its rather unfinished state.  I'll also cap it off with Romance of the Three Kingdoms X or XI.  X had a wide range of potential player options from wandering adventurer to ruler (similar to VIII), while XI required you to play a ruler, but had other various improvements that I enjoyed as well.  Also, for those who have the whim and the will, 13 will be released on Steam January 27th, albeit not in English.
Pages: [1] 2 3