Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: "The City" (Multiplayer-ish Dwarven Economy) 42.05 LNP -Combined game phase-  (Read 34789 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: "The City" (Multiplayer-ish Dwarven Economy) 42.05 LNP -Combined game phase-
« Reply #315 on: February 29, 2016, 02:30:38 am »

It's okay, just checking this isn't forgotten/abondoned.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "The City" (Multiplayer-ish Dwarven Economy) 42.05 LNP -Combined game phase-
« Reply #316 on: February 29, 2016, 03:13:29 am »

Pleased to see this isn't dead.

Dustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok so quick question that i have, what happens if someone releases a little FUN?
would everyone near get wiped out or what?
Should we have embarked right next to a goblin fortress?
Yes we should have, no Goblins yet *yet*
Hi. I'm Dwarf fortress, and I'm a crashaholic

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok so quick question that i have, what happens if someone releases a little FUN?
would everyone near get wiped out or what?

That's been asked before, actually, a few pages back.  "The City" as a post-apocalypse scenario is certainly viable, but I'd like to see it get built up a bit more before "The Fall", because then the tragedy and anti-FUN measures can be that much more piquant.  If everybody gets entirely wiped out, then I set up a different game where people attempt to retrieve <insert artifact here> from the Doomed City, or set it up as some other aspect of a series of mini-games.  This game-world is ripe for re-play on a number of fronts.

I mean, suppose the humans arrive as an invasion of a zombie horde, and a District decides to turn the Circus loose on them to break the siege, but another District has, in secret, built a magma pump stack to break the siege instead, so that flaming zombies are now fighting the denizens of the Circus amid the ruins and abandoned structures of the previously thriving over-world City.  Meanwhile, the count of Forgotten Beasts roaming the pretty much open Underworld just keeps mounting, and the surviving members of each District slowly go mad from terror, loss and special moods...  Sounds like loads of fun, and what an amazing story.  Maybe one District's Dwarves find a way to somehow build a safe passage out of the ruin of the City (Or somehow improbably defeat all odds and become the sole survivors, initiating a "Rise After the Fall", tough as nails and lucky as a deck full of jokers...)

but first, The City needs to grow a little.  The Districts need to build up and dig down, so that they fully realize their potentials as mini-principalities within the larger framework of The City and The Merchants of Wood themselves.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:40:17 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, I wouldn't mind joining in when there is some migrants,District M if nobody has taken it.
i think i'll focus on machinery and siege-craft.
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Dustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok i guess ill come in too, and there is inter principality trading?

Dustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

because as i figure, i will be mostly trading for things, and what not, so yay

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile

Can someone please explain how this works in few words?
Each player uploads a yearly save, and then "host" manually copies whatever they did on his own "central" save, with probably different results?
What is the "blueprint" constantly mentioned?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can someone please explain how this works in few words?
Each player uploads a yearly save, and then "host" manually copies whatever they did on his own "central" save, with probably different results?
What is the "blueprint" constantly mentioned?

(Phase 1) The host (TimelessBob) plays the "live game" then uploads the save, let's call this Founder's Day (spring has arrived.)

(Phase 2) We players (furumite participants), play the save for 1 year.  Whatever we build (buildings or items) will be uniquely to our own save games we call "blueprints".  We also mix some roleplaying here in the forum, and share plans, trade for equipment--all in theory.

(Phase 3) The host looks at each of the players' blue prints, then plays the "live game" trying to build as close to each of the blueprints as possible."

(Phase 4). A caravans arrives, we call this "Trade Day", the host makes a save of the live game available so we the players can see the progress, and also gain knowledge of the available resources (wood, stone, metals, anvil, picks, weapons, etc.).  We the players roleplay for items the caravan brought.  Post out thoughts, plan changes, and trade proposals to both caravan and with other player districts.

(Phase 5). The host reads our interactions, plans, trade proposals, agreements, and continue the "live game" trying to incorporate those info into the game.  When spring arrives, go back to Phase 1.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

You make a fortress in your square. You upload the save. Timeless bob attempts to replicate what you built in the main save.

Edit NVM

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I also stop the game and post a save when an army invades, someone gets an artifact trigger, kobolds attempt to steal stuff, a visitor arrives, someone dies, etc... (Basically, anything that might change the way people want their "blueprints" followed.) 

For instance, suppose a "now you know why you fear the night" creature arrives while I'm playing through the live game.  I immediately will pause the game, save it, zip it, post the save to dffd and link to that here in the forum, with a short description of what's going on and what day it is in-game.  Everyone who has a District (or is Dorfed) responds to that if they want (downloading the save to see how everything is going).  Those who wish to change what their dwarves are already doing then post their response.  Once everyone has responded or a week has gone past, I gather all the responses and incorporate that into the game, playing it through until the next instance.  Back and forth until the in-game year is done.

I just figured out what would stop the game so that I will post for responses: anything that would normally pause the game + dwarf deaths

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't believe it took me this long to find out about this. I'll be reading through the thread shortly. I actually did something a bit like this on my own in an older version, and it rapidly became a micromanagement problem. Lasted a good 2-3 years though, which is better than most of my games. Suffice to say that this is interesting enough that I might join in at some point. In other words, posting to watch.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

I think this is dead.... I'm feeling ambitious lately, so might take this up, if its dead, @Bob, no hard feelings, i understand this can get pretty time-consuming

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh wow, its been 3 weeks eh? Not sure why I didn't notice that. I usually pay more attention to dates.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think this is dead.... I'm feeling ambitious lately, so might take this up, if its dead, @Bob, no hard feelings, i understand this can get pretty time-consuming

Sorry guys, life is really busy.  If any of you want to take on the hosting of the combined game, please do.  I give it into your possibly capable hands.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24