Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24

Author Topic: "The City" (Multiplayer-ish Dwarven Economy) 42.05 LNP -Combined game phase-  (Read 34844 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: "The City" (Multiplayer-ish Dwarven Economy) 42.04 Phoebus
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2016, 05:39:22 am »

It's going to be important we breach the caverns for fungi farming, that will be my first priority.

I'm gonna breach them first, cause I need magma. until I get it, the dorfs will have to live in shacks.

@timeless bob, I don't think you notice me accepting the offer of the tree cut down. any one will do.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:42:17 am by Gwolfski »
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2016, 06:15:43 am »

Gwolfski, why dont you just contract out my miners? I have two legendary miners, they get there faster. So on your 'blueprint' turn you could use them to mine out what you need, it will go faster, which means ill have more time to dig out my own hole, and anyone else that wants to contract me out. In return I only ask for access to your forges in the future, and a pick when you get the chance. Probably next year i imagine.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2016, 09:31:42 am »

It's going to be important we breach the caverns for fungi farming, that will be my first priority.

Sanctume, would you be interested in cutting your trees for the year in my plot? I could really use some trees cleared, an I dont want a million logs everywhere.

Yes, I'd gladly cut down your trees and help haul the logs away.

I think in terms of the blue print, Sanctume and Shofet's district have this cooperation going on that we can add in our blue print.

1. I think game play wise for TimelessBob, he would just assign some "global" or non-burrowed peasant with wood cutter and wood hauling.

Are we allowed to design a quantum stockpile for wood?  My thinking is that it will not be a cheesy "7 tile feed + 1 minecart dumping in a 1 tile QSP" compact design.  But I was thinking of a rather 2 story building: A ramp going to the 2nd floor with the feeder, then a minecart dumping down a hole to the floor below where the 1-tile QSP is.  This 2z buiding will be 3x3 floor space, have walls and doors and roof.  It functions as QSP, but a bit more "designed" -- What do you all think?

2. Beds made from Sanctume's district, with an enabled "global" furniture hauler put pick up the bed and put it on a bed designation in Shofet's district. 
So, in the RP game we can say that's a trade agreement between district. 

3. On the other side of the trade pact, Sanctume's district needs mechanisms made from Shofet's.
How those 2 mechanism to build a screw press would most likely be done in game would be up to TimelessBob.

A some simple game play approach is to have a "global hauler / free loader" dwarfs doing such things: Item hauler.   

Then if the mechanisms don't arrive this year, we can RP blame TimelessBob the free loaders!

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2016, 09:54:12 am »

Yeah there will definately need to be some collaboration to figure out our blueprints. And in some respects we may end up including parts of of other players blueprints in our turns. I have a dwarf in mind to train mechanics, Mr. Iton.

I imagine any mining my dwarves are contracted out to do, I should dig out on my blueprint as well. This will help keep track of labor time used and available, and should be comparable to how long it takes on timeless bobs master blueprint

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2016, 09:55:05 am »

eh, in the interests of having a good start to the game, I'll let shofet start with six.  Frankly, I had no idea that so many people were going to want to crowd in to the first year.  Shofet's 7th Founder is "A Disembodied Voice".

Of course, this also means that there won't be any unclaimed dwarves to fetch and carry things, nor to build things, until the next wave of migrants.  We may have to look at an extreme labor shortage for some time, if those new migrants get snatched up by new Players in the following years.

!SCIENCE! time. 

I see that everyone will have their design, and the "bottle neck," so to speak is the global labors / haulers for resource.

Issues:

1. Limited pick-axes.  For science, how long will 1 dabbling miner take to dig out 1z level of 42x42 size?
2. Eventually, that miner will need to take a break, or if no food around, will instead waste time hunting vermin, ha!
3. Now I am seeing some priority conflicts; and our blue prints may not progress much further if we still have this bottle-neck with limited pick-axes.

4. Now I'm not sure how TimelessBob will actually play it out.  But he will prioritize one thing or another.  Us player can probably influence this after the first round of blueprints are submitted.  For example, I can ask / vote / offer opinion that Shofet dig stone quarry and make xxx stone blocks first for walls.  And maybe Shofet and Gwolfski vote / offer opinion that digging for magma will be more lucrative sooner than walls.

5. Hunger and Thirsts issues.  You guys realize we have 0 in that disctrict, and being burrowed there, we have 0 access to food and drink or water?
Our design will need to have those basic: maybe 3 beds for a 7 pop, food pile, drink pile, maybe 2 to 3 sets of table for each 7.
1 Dwarf eat 2 meals per season = 8 per year; so need [8] prepared meals / raw food.
1 Dwarf drink up to 5 booze per season = 20 per year; so need [20] booze.

6. Now for logistics. If let's say I offer wood cutting services to Shofet also because I want to get his logs hauled to my district so I can skill up carpenter--this can happen "sooner" if Sanctume "woodcutter and wood hauler" is both a citizen of the 2 districts for this year's blue print.  That is to say, this is on top of the global free-loaders that cannot be relied on too much because they will have other hauling to do.  At the same time, let's say I want the stone cleared from my basements; I can either dedicate another of my citizen as stone hauler for Shofet; or enable both wood hauling and stone hauling.  Shofet can do the same thing. 

The science is we will not know how many haulers will progress in the clearing for that year.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2016, 10:00:27 am »

Gwolfski, why dont you just contract out my miners? I have two legendary miners, they get there faster. So on your 'blueprint' turn you could use them to mine out what you need, it will go faster, which means ill have more time to dig out my own hole, and anyone else that wants to contract me out. In return I only ask for access to your forges in the future, and a pick when you get the chance. Probably next year i imagine.

Interesting.  So thinking in gameplay for TimelessBob, he can use the digging priority designations and set Shofet's legendary miners to be a global citizen this year with only mining labor enabled, and their bedrooms in Shofet's district.

Shofet would make digs A B C in his district.  Gwolfski will have digs E F G in his.  Sanctume will have dig H in his.  For example, we all deem these priority, and do RP trades, etc.  Eventually, TimelessBob will have the final say on what digging priority for those based on our RP agreements. OR we might end with half-dug designs for that year.

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2016, 10:25:41 am »

The first year or two is going to be the bottleneck for this I think. Once were all off the ground, or under it
we probably wont have to rely on each other so much.

Then the politics begin.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2016, 01:26:48 pm »

right. i would like to hire.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2016, 01:45:03 pm »

OK, I'm setting up the "phase 0" save right now with the basic Founders included in their burrows, minus the nobles (who are "global").  When I post that, you all may upload that save file and collaborate as much as you like.  Something you may want to think about, for those of you wishing to create an inter-dependent system, is privately sending each-other shorter update saves, possibly submitting a "joint blueprint" at the end of the in-game year.  (Which depends, of course, on how timely the various Players involved take care of their ends of the joint project.)

If you want to designate priorities of activity, then certainly RP that here in the Forum and I'll follow those when I play through the Collective-game. (The collection of all submitted blueprints.)

If you want to designate any of the Nobles from your district as an "item hauler", then their ability to move in between Districts becomes something to trade resources for.  Heck, the Founders may decide to do just that with the Nobles they control, in trade for other resources and skills.

I was just reading up on burrows, and it looks like my assumption that dwarves are confined to those areas is false.  The burrows only apply to workshop orders, and where resources are sourced for those orders (ie: only use resources in the same burrow as a workshop).  Where the dwarves go when they're at leisure is up to the game.  I think I'll designate the roads as "Restricted" traffic zones, and we can just imagine that the dwarves prefer to hang out in their Districts then not, but that they don't have to.

Contrariwise, if you guys would prefer that all of the dwarves are able to travel the map with impunity, but that the only ones that are specifically yours to control would be those seven plus any bonuses, who are there for the greater glorification of their Districts, then I'll change the game to suit, and place a "High" traffic designation on the roads instead.   
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:32:15 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2016, 02:35:09 pm »

Sweet, no citizen burrow restrictions!  Let's all make a central tavern and party all the time!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2016, 02:49:54 pm »

Sweet, no citizen burrow restrictions!  Let's all make a central tavern and party all the time!

OK, that's one vote for "move with impunity".

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2016, 02:58:22 pm »

"Phase 0" save is posted! (I'll be updating the "Latest save" right after this

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2016, 03:01:15 pm »

Honestly, putting "Restricted" traffic designations won't do much more then gently guide the dwarves. I think we should give it a shot for the first save/year and if its terribly inconvenient we can switch afterwards.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2016, 03:08:02 pm »

Honestly, putting "Restricted" traffic designations won't do much more then gently guide the dwarves. I think we should give it a shot for the first save/year and if its terribly inconvenient we can switch afterwards.

Yeah, we're kinda in uncharted waters here.  (At least I am), it'll be interesting to see what happens.  This one city may eventually house the entire population of the civ, which will be interesting from the "bloodline legacy" perspective too.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2016, 05:07:09 pm »

OK, that's one vote for "move with impunity".

On second thought, this may mess up a good estimate if my district's build order is feasable for the 1 year game span.

I mean, if I am focusing on non-mason labor, and build constructed walls and floors, I need to rely on Shofet's cranking out blocks.

I can do a quick dig and put like 4 mason shop to make blocks on repeat in my game;  but the "real" or Shofet's blueprint may have less mason shops.
So, my blue print shows a complete 2z wall, a 3z overhang, and roofed--but the real game may only able to finish 1z in the first year.

Having the burrow and citizen restrictions in place can at least make my blue print closer to an estimated time of completions of key constructions.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24