Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Slime Rancher - Everything you never wanted to know about breeding slimes!  (Read 10373 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Slime Rancher - Everything you never wanted to know about breeding slimes!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 03:08:53 pm »

You don't actually breed slimes, but other than that, the alpha is promising.
I have to assume this will be added later.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 03:49:59 pm »

That's doubtful, the game seems more about finding and capturing the slime types that you want.

The closest thing to breeding is that you can make a "largos" slime by feeding a splort from another species to one of the small slimes. They will grow larger, keep physical traits from both slime types and also accept both types of food. They will also excrete both types of splorts when fed, but I didn't find much use for that, considering that if you give their favorite food to a normal slime, you'll get two splorts anyway. And normal slimes are easier to manage, because largos can't be stored in your vac gun thing, and take more space in a corral.

Feeding a new type of splort to a largos will make an evil black-rainbow slime called "tar", that will try to eat all living things and replicate itself (but is weak against water).

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 04:21:07 pm »

I personally hope they add a slime-based puzzle element to the exploration part of the game. Boom slimes to blow up rocks and stuff like that.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 08:22:54 pm »

That's doubtful, the game seems more about finding and capturing the slime types that you want.

The closest thing to breeding is that you can make a "largos" slime by feeding a splort from another species to one of the small slimes. They will grow larger, keep physical traits from both slime types and also accept both types of food. They will also excrete both types of splorts when fed, but I didn't find much use for that, considering that if you give their favorite food to a normal slime, you'll get two splorts anyway. And normal slimes are easier to manage, because largos can't be stored in your vac gun thing, and take more space in a corral.

Feeding a new type of splort to a largos will make an evil black-rainbow slime called "tar", that will try to eat all living things and replicate itself (but is weak against water).

Typically it's used when you have something with very finnicky tastes, such as only eats meat. I assume that when things like Radioactive slimes and other harder slimes are introduced it could be used to defuse their worst painful traits as well.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:24:41 pm by ZebioLizard2 »

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 11:42:26 am »

What is the price tag on this?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 11:51:44 am »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 01:08:46 pm »

You can't seem to make more slimes, but what you can do is combine them by feeding them slime poop from different kinds of slimes, which is I guess what qualifies as 'breeding'.
Nothing important here, move along.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 05:42:20 pm »

You can't seem to make more slimes, but what you can do is combine them by feeding them slime poop from different kinds of slimes, which is I guess what qualifies as 'breeding'.

Could be.  That could result in horizontal gene transfer, like bacteria exchanging plasmids.  Or it might be polyploidy (multiple entire sets of genes), like in wheat.  It's certainly not the Sleeping Beauty technique used IRL.

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 01:39:50 pm »

PTW. From a brief video I watched, it reminds me a bit off Viva Piņata.
I really hope they add the ability to crossbreed and stuff. Including the ability to create horribly dysfunctional beings whose entire existence is suffering.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 01:49:41 pm »

I am currently making a cage filled with Tarrs, so whenever i need to get rid of random junk/unwanted slimes i just pitch them in the cage of death.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 01:59:40 pm »

Yeah, I played the game for about 6 hours straight when I bought it the other day, and unfortunately I'm already running out of stuff to do aside from achievements and self-imposed challenges. It feels like perhaps the game is a bit too open at the moment, allowing you to get good stuff early on. Tarr infestations were never really a problem since I didn't have to research high walls or air nets etc. they were just available as long as I had the money for it, and they required no maintenance at all. Not only that, there really isn't slime 'breeding' per-se, but there is slime... combining, I guess? Which is fair, the game isn't called 'slime breeder' or anything.

Some new types of corrals would be nice too, or upgrades. For instance, I kinda want to merge the four corrals at the start into one super-corral for all my honey/blast largos. The Range Exchange is also pretty lackluster, rarely giving you anything worthwhile as far as I can tell and often times will just end up exploding a bunch of chickens across your farm.

On a final note it's fairly tedious to have to sprint your way across the map just to get to the next area. There are teleport pads to bring you back to the farm, but they are one-way trips. The ranch isn't in a centralized location with paths branching out into more prosperous/difficult locations, and instead you have one exit that leads you out into the world, while the other two paths lead to specialized ranches and the fourth leads to the ocean.

Still, that just means that it's a bit lacking for 20 bucks, right now. Perhaps after some more development time has been put in I'll come back and see what's been improved. I know while playing I've come across a lot of 'under construction' barriers that imply the world will be much less linear and more varied. Does anyone who's following the game know what pace the development is going?

I am currently making a cage filled with Tarrs, so whenever i need to get rid of random junk/unwanted slimes i just pitch them in the cage of death.
You could also just use the incinerator.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 02:03:32 pm »

Well, that would mean i wouldnt get to feed the slimes that displeased me to my evil pets James-Bond-Villain style
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 04:50:04 pm »

I ran across this, and thought it was completely relevant.

It was obviously the [Slime Breeder]. His appearance perfectly matched his description, and of course, his name was visible under his Player icon. He hadn't been named [Slime Breeder] originally, but he had changed it with a [Nametag] when he started this place.

He smiled... probably.

His face was completely covered by what looked like a gimp mask. On closer inspection, the goggle-like eye coverings and the tube running from the mouth over his shoulder made it look more like a gas mask.

This lean and gangly body was was sticks wrapped in leather. Each limb was bound in tight leather all the way up to the torso, which was kept in a tight bag.

The leather had an unnatural, alien sheen, like there was a protective layer of wax or plastic over the top.

Rather than something evoking BDSM, the overall effect was to make the wearer look like a dark but shiny bug. He looked like nothing so much as an elongated beetle walking upright.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just figured I'd bump this since I noticed that the game updated. (At the time of posting Steam is going through some wonky updating shenanigans, which almost made me miss it.)

New area, two new slimes, new gamemode, vacpack upgrade exclusively meant to store water, among other things.

If I weren't busy I'd check it out right now.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2016, 12:49:43 pm »

I feel this is worth bumping since Steam has it on sale right now, and the reviews are now overwhelmingly positive.

Recent updates have added several new environments, lots of new slimes, and dozens of new tech items for gathering slime resources so that you can craft better slime tools that you can gather even more slime resources and so forth...
Pages: 1 [2] 3