Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Mission 21 On Trial: No Smart Subtitle  (Read 21308 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 21 On Trial: No Smart Subtitle
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2016, 08:20:01 pm »

((Have everyone use their presumably abysmal Charisma to try and settle this with a rap battle!))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2016, 08:34:44 pm »

Absolutely. I... would rather like to apologise for inadvertently antagonising the two of you earlier. But my duty compels me on this path, and I would rather force the pus open than let the wound fester, with long-term underhanded behind-the-scenes plotting and with the time biding, especially since, as Pancaek correctly pointed out, we are already scrambling for evacuation. So I did what I had to do to be able to force the resolution here and now - today and today only I looked at you as my opponents, and acted accordingly. As far as personal preferences go, I would rather not do it for a longer duration of time. ...But I am sorry that I had to do it at all.

Did you want to talk about anything in particular?

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2016, 01:03:34 pm »

"The hell is your problem?" Ulrich asks from Renen.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2016, 07:29:30 pm »

"For the record, Steve, do interrupt us at any time when you've made a decision. No need to wait, wouldn't want to hold things up even more.

Now Maurice, it seems discussing the core idea you have here isn't bringing us anywhere. So let's look at this from another angle, shall we? Firstly, you say you are a scientist, yes? And unless I remember wrong, a core concept within science is to base one's conclusions on observable facts and data, and not on whatever you would want to believe or what fits one's agenda best, right?"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:04:18 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2016, 08:02:47 pm »

Renen glances at Ulrich

No need to make the situation worse. Leave to Steve.

Making an attack before his decision. Unwise

Taps his sword and go back to watch the talk between Maurice and the generals.

The previous action will continue until Steve's decision or the resolution of the situation
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:05:05 pm by Grunhill »
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 31, 2016, 11:49:29 pm »

"I wasn't going to shoot him! Just getting ready in case Steve wouldn't accept his viewpoint. Besides think about it, generals. This is the time when unity is needed more than anything. The survival of whole mandkind rests on your shoulders! And then there's this one who wants to cause disunity and lead his own faction despite making recently series of bad leadership calls. He's not fit for any leading role. And I negleted to mention one thing; my first instinct was to blame him for the whole Lurker incident. My instincts are usually correct, but this time I chose to ignore it."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2016, 03:38:44 am »

I see what you are trying to do. It will not work.

Interested look on Maurice's face slowly turned over to cold stare.
Go on. So, let me guess: you have observable facts and data that disprove my position on the matter?

Then let me first try this: Timmy's conversion was gradual. It appeared that, until the very last point on the mission, he was in charge of his actions. Similar cases in the past have led me to believe that, had he maintained his grip on his own sanity and self, he would have remained as he was. Mentally.

He looked away, his gaze now softer and sadder. I don't suppose I could persuade you to drop this charade and get to the point? To the "core idea", as you put it, and your main disagreements with my view on it. So that, perhaps, we could see to the root of the difference of our views on the matter - and whether anyone of us has made a mistake.

Or are you, perhaps, as blind to reason - in a few select cases - as you perceive me to be? That would be... unfortunate, but understandable. Ignorance is a bliss, ancients say, and it is also a deadly weapon if wielded correctly. I know full well because I have denied myself that luxury ever since I sought the Truth from my would-be mentor.

He smiled sadly and looked the Avatar in the eye. Though, frankly, I supposed you did as well. You were there when I have completed my work on the numbers, after all. After being exposed to knowledge like that, no ignorance can hold sway over the person in question, or so I thought.

He continued to ignore Ulrich.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2016, 06:15:50 am »

"Nope, sorry, no cigar. That was not the direction I was implying. In fact, let us assume for now, for the sake of argument, that the first part of your thesis is completely correct. That using that orb, or unknown xenotech in general, is a good and desirable thing. In fact, let's even assume that it is the only possible solution and the only thing that can save us, and that it is a given that it is possible to work. Still following, or do you wanna make some more conjecture before we go on?"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:27:41 am by Radio Controlled »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2016, 07:52:36 am »

Faint smile came back to Maurice. Hmmm, this might be more interesting than I feared.
I would rather not pin our hopes on a single method of salvation, if that is what you ask, so I'd rather withdraw the part about being the only solution, if you don't mind. One more option, more like.

As for more conjectures - sure. Conjecture next: Everyone is expendable, any specific human being could be sacrificed. This isn't high rhetoric about species survival (though that is correct), it is just a working assumption. Steve and the Doctor are probably at the top of the chain of important beings; Generals and the Armory Master are perhaps also high, though still lower than them. Below the rank of Generals, the likelihood of conditions arising that would dictate that sacrificing the person in question is worth it is fairly significant, and roughly equal. Human life is priceless, and thus it is the next common denomination, the new currency of consideration instead.

Conjecture next: Between the training received from the Armory Master, natural aptitude and the trained skill, ARM trooper Maurice Sanctor is one of the more appropriate candidates, especially when genemodified towards that goal. ARM trooper Lyra Arden could also have been used for this purpose, thanks to the same training, but the extent of genemodification and retraining would be far greater, and thus it is inadvisable, to say nothing that it would require first reverting the existing modifications.
Not to mention that I would rather not thrust my cross upon you. ARM trooper Pancaek Nilys is perhaps the other best candidate, and if the Armory Master could be waken - without mental or physical injury, without effectively killing her - and capable of putting him through the same training, he could be the person one should be looking for instead, though there'd still be some matter of geneenhancing to consider. A number of other... - Maurice looked to check up with his wristpad - ...oh. And Pancaek is uneligible for geneenhancement anymore, it seems. Regardless, if the training is on the table, a small number of other people could also perhaps be molded for this task, but most of them have long been stasis-catatonic, and the others haven't shown the aptitude for mental defence or offence. ARM trooper Faith Valentine is of an edge case, having achieved her levels of mental defenses through ceaseless training alone - though the reason for that certainly complicates things enough.

Conjecture next: It is better to use a volunteer than an unwilling subject when possible - ethical reasons aside (though significant in their own right), volunteers are far more likely to be focused on their mission instead of looking for ways to sabotage it (if just unconsciously) than the people who were forced to go on it, and that is especially important in cases where the focus of the user would literally take part in the deed in question - as in the memory-editing mission, as in the currently proposed one.

And that is it, for now. Your turn?..
Past Sigs

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2016, 11:12:28 am »

Snip

>You all are very talkative.

Well maurice, your file says that you were put into the HMRC for "Aiding the Enemy". Old habits die hard, eh?

In any case, Maurice is correct in that I alone have the power to judge him. However, I am in agreement with what Miya and the others have said.

Still, it would be a waste to stick him on the ship with nothing to do. So lets compromise.

Maurice, You are stripped of your leadership of Hephaestus. That will go to Steve Saint.  But you will not be confined to the ship. Instead, I'm sending you back to Hephaestus, where you'll give your aid to the search for a new, habitable universe. That and anything else Mr.Saint wants you to do.

Here's hoping you  enjoy leather~

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 01, 2016, 11:31:33 am »

A. Aha. Ahahahahahahaha!~

Steve, I "aided the enemy" by treating an injured person. I never betrayed humanity, not even when I did not serve it. But your will is spoken. You have no need for me in the capacity I suggested. Well, you are the closest thing humanity has to its voice - so your will be done.

He gave deep nods to everyone present, still smiling wider than ever. Goodbye, my erstwhile comrades! May the future be bright for you. May you never regret your decision.

Farewell, Steve. May you find use for me.

And with those words, Dr. Maurice Sanctor, the second Supreme Administrator of Hephaestus, with his reign of just a few minutes, slit his own throat with the Instrument.
Past Sigs

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2016, 11:40:58 am »

It seems we have the decision. Thanks Steve.

Doctor, you will agree that it's better to maintain Timmy's orb hidden from touch.

Renen grabs Timmy's orb inside the sack.

And with those words, Dr. Maurice Sanctor, the second Supreme Administrator of Hephaestus, with his reign of just a few minutes, slit his own throat with the Instrument.

Seeing Maurice's desperate move, Renen stops him and takes his instrument and any weaponry.

After all those things you said, you are going for suicide. A man should have conviction in his beliefs.

Renen uses his ropes to tie Maurice and get him ready for Heph. All in Bullet time.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:01:37 pm by Grunhill »
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 01, 2016, 11:51:44 am »

((Dang, was typing up response earlier today, but had to quit to go bail out someone with a dead battery. Sorry Nik. And just as we were gonna get to the crux. And we didn't even manage to revive it with the jumper cables, the bloody thing's dead.))

Snip
>SNIP

"Well, there we have it, from the big brain himself. Though Steve, next time you might wanna tell us beforehand if we don't actually need to make a verdict."

snip (of the throat)

If Miya has any time to respond as he sees it happen, he'd try to stop it with his manip by pushing him down, though he'd not use it if he saw Renen respond. In case the latter doesn't manage to stop him:
"Medic!"

He also offers one of his artifact containers to Renen for him to safely store the orb in.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:54:18 am by Radio Controlled »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2016, 12:24:26 pm »

I droop down upon hearing Steve's verdict, and start to walk away, only to stop and stare as Maurice attempts suicide.
succeed or fail in his attempt,  (probably fail, because Rennen), I decloak where I am in the back of the room, and begin typing.

Quote from: Lyra to Maurice
Why you abandon me?
Assuming Maurice still has his head, I look up at him after I hit send, and make eye contact with him.

EDIT: retconned out by virtue of Maurice not attempting suicide after all.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:35:42 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2016, 12:37:57 pm »

A. Aha. Ahahahahahahaha!~

Steve, I "aided the enemy" by treating an injured person. I never betrayed humanity, not even when I did not serve it. But your will is spoken. You have no need for me in the capacity I suggested. Well, you are the closest thing humanity has to its voice - so your will be done.

He gave deep nods to everyone present, still smiling wider than ever. Goodbye, my erstwhile comrades! May the future be bright for you. May you never regret your decision.

Farewell, Steve. May you find use for me.

Well thats not bolded.

Also renen will probably stop you.

Also thats probably the least fatal thing you could possibly do around here.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14