Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My awsome fortress  (Read 1143 times)

Matthias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My awsome fortress
« on: February 19, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »

Take a lookie

See the area surroundedby the man made river thats the industrial area witha few rooms for the older/hurt dwarves and that little low quality bedroom thing downthere is the temporary nigrant area.

TomTheHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My awsome fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »

In the future you might want to provide wider hallways.  See the Wiki's article on traffic.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 01:43:00 pm »

That's an interesting little fort... Gives me an idea...

If I may offer a few suggestions, having your dwarf population walk outside to get to work is not only inefficient (though not terribly so) but dangerous, as when a siege arrives, all the dwarves in the sleeping area will be cut off...

I also see wooden armor stands... *shudder* I suppose on a heavily treed map it's not a huge deal, but those things can and therefore should be made out of the always much more plentiful stone.

Speaking of wood, there's really no reason not do deconstruct wagons...

And just out of curiosity, what are those brown things lining the main entrance?

Edit: Oh, and you really need a dining room- it's one of the most reliable and easy ways to make your dwarves happy.

[ February 19, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

Matthias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 01:43:00 pm »

I know that was an accident :P

Matthias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>That's an interesting little fort... Gives me an idea...

If I may offer a few suggestions, having your dwarf population walk outside to get to work is not only inefficient (though not terribly so) but dangerous, as when a siege arrives, all the dwarves in the sleeping area will be cut off...

I also see wooden armor stands... *shudder* I suppose on a heavily treed map it's not a huge deal, but those things can and therefore should be made out of the always much more plentiful stone.

Speaking of wood, there's really no reason not do deconstruct wagons...

And just out of curiosity, what are those brown things lining the main entrance?

Edit: Oh, and you really need a dining room- it's one of the most reliable and easy ways to make your dwarves happy.

[ February 19, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]</STRONG>

The brown things lining the entrance are floodgates to prevent wter from enteing the entrance becuase that man made ricer is a RIVER no channels its run by a floodgate sstem that is 2 floodgates and 1 channel next to the river like this X_X and a lever attached to it. So if need be I can flood the entrance if it were to say uhh become under siege. I am also thinking of making the entrance a bitwider on my soon to be made residential district. Those armor stands are actually chests. When the residential area and its rver is built there will be a huge engraved dining room.

TomTheHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Matthias:
<STRONG>The brown things lining the entrance are floodgates to prevent wter from enteing the entrance becuase that man made ricer is a RIVER no channels its run by a floodgate sstem that is 2 floodgates and 1 channel next to the river like this X_X and a lever attached to it. So if need be I can flood the entrance if it were to say uhh become under siege. I am also thinking of making the entrance a bitwider on my soon to be made residential district. Those armor stands are actually chests. When the residential area and its rver is built there will be a huge engraved dining room.</STRONG>

A few more pieces of advice.

First, as Eiba mentioned, stone is generally way, way easier to get your hands on than wood.  No chopping necessary, you won't run out, and there's no need to send people outside for it (which can be dangerous).  The only things I make with wood are beds, bins, and barrels.  Beds can only be made out of wood.  Bins and barrels can be made out of wood or metal, but it usually takes me a while to get metal production up.  Instead of wood chests, if you want you can produce stone coffers.  They're the same thing.

Second, there's an issue with the floodable entrance.  If you flood it, a monster opens your door and lets the flood out, and that flood touches the outside river, the map will be permanently flooded.  A safety measure is to dig a channel in front of the doors.  That way, a flood will rush out and hit the channel but won't go beyond it and the world will be saved from the infinite torrent.

Third, some monsters will steal food and other items left outside.  Eventually you may want to build indoor food storage.

[ February 19, 2007: Message edited by: TomTheHand ]

Matthias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TomTheHand:
<STRONG>

A few more pieces of advice.

First, as Eiba mentioned, stone is generally way, way easier to get your hands on than wood.  No chopping necessary, you won't run out, and there's no need to send people outside for it (which can be dangerous).  The only things I make with wood are beds, bins, and barrels.  Beds can only be made out of wood.  Bins and barrels can be made out of wood or metal, but it usually takes me a while to get metal production up.  Instead of wood chests, if you want you can produce stone coffers.  They're the same thing.

Second, there's an issue with the floodable entrance.  If you flood it, a monster opens your door and lets the flood out, and that flood touches the outside river, the map will be permanently flooded.  A safety measure is to dig a channel in front of the doors.  That way, a flood will rush out and hit the channel but won't go beyond it and the world will be saved from the infinite torrent.

Third, some monsters will steal food and other items left outside.  Eventually you may want to build indoor food storage.

[ February 19, 2007: Message edited by: TomTheHand ]</STRONG>

Wellmy like 25 immigrants just arrived and now Im ready to expand and then bring my indoor river right outside.

Matthias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Matthias:
<STRONG>Wellmy like 25 immigrants just arrived and now Im ready to expand and then bring my indoor river right outside.</STRONG>

As in a moat.

TomTheHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

Sounds cool.  It sounds like you'll get a lot of good practice learning how to control DF's quirky fluids.  Be careful not to flood the world!  By the way, you can edit your previous posts by clicking on the pencil-and-paper icon at the top of your post.

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 06:17:00 pm »

A very pleasing layout to the castle eye. I find it interesting and may be able to elaborate on the design.

I always feel uneasy in an area with just one exit (even in real life!), from a military perspective castles represent static positions I guess. Hard to expand, relying heavily on a solid defense.

I'm thinking: can there be an actual drawbridge over the inside moat? That would be aweful. Maybe line the moat sides with channels (so the moat doesn't drown the world) and apply a straight-forward bridge. I'll try and post.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 08:59:00 pm »

Yes, in fact, you can have a drawbridge over filled channels.  The downside is that doing so won't give you the pleasure of drowning your enemies in a drowning room.  The upside is that it is an impenetrable defense against all non-amphibious/flying enemies.

Note that doors won't keep out trolls and other large nasty beasts.

Also, your drowning room isn't large enough to perform mass drownings of your enemies, which is a pity.

The best option is to combine drawbridges AND drowning rooms.  So you have drawbridge - large room - drawbridge.  You pull up the inner drawbridge, the goblins all enter your drowning island, you pull up the outer retreat based drawbrdige, trapping them, and then you let the water flow.

Works even better with magma.

Momaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 10:54:00 am »

On behalf of any dialup users, might I also point out that DF screenshots are best as PNG files, in 4 bit (16) colors  :)

Your image was 394kbytes,  this one is 33kbytes: http://momaw.kikaimegami.com/matt.png

Some loss of visual quality only because it was JPEG'd first.  Going direct from BMP to PNG would be sharper. PNG itself is lossless.

On the fortress itself, as somebody else pointed out, I'm screaming in horror at the food storage outside.

The interior moat is interesting.  Exterior moats are common, as is using the natural river as a barricade, but I think that's the first time I've seen a moat built like that. It might be worth exploring a "cellular" construction, with another similarly-sized block above that to a little bit, with another moat, and big draw bridges connecting them.  That way you afford to do a fighting withdrawl if one block falls to amphibians or flyers.

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 10:39:00 pm »

quote:

The interior moat is interesting.  Exterior moats are common, as is using the natural river as a barricade, but I think that's the first time I've seen a moat built like that. It might be worth exploring a "cellular" construction, with another similarly-sized block above that to a little bit, with another moat, and big draw bridges connecting them.  That way you afford to do a fighting withdrawl if one block falls to amphibians or flyers.[/QB]

This could be combined with the 7x7 block layout suggested by Mechanoid hyah.

he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

I''ll put it up on the blog, and give you credit.

http://dwarffortressblog.blogspot.com/

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 01:15:00 am »

You would need at least 2x2 square of 7x7s for it to be worth while though (unless you had a dedicated treasury stockpile...)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"