Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Creature you hate most  (Read 9591 times)

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
Re: Creature you hate most
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 11:39:32 pm »

i chged my mind
I HATE CLOWNS

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 12:46:13 am »

Probably a tie between keas and troglodytes, with buzzards in a close third.

There is really no need to feel "vengeful" because a buzzard flew over your head.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 03:43:18 am »

I despise the dingo. My hatred for this small, dog-like creature is not born from any wrong they've done me, not directly at least. Not for any threat they pose to me, quite the opposite in fact. Rather, my contempt is bred from familiarity.

The dingo is simply too prolific. They will appear in any biome that is not permanently covered in snow or salt water, and do so far more often than [FREQUENCY:5] would suggest. Almost always, to be specific regarding my experience. The result, for an adventurer, are repetitive encounters with cannon fodder that would be better served pitting you against deadlier, more exotic creatures.

Imagine an rpg with random encounters starts you off fighting a sewer rat that can be killed in one hit. Now imagine that every random encounter in that game is just that same rat, without any changes whatsoever. 1 hit, 1g, 1xp, all the way to the final boss. That is how the dingo do.

Removing dingoes has made the game much more enjoyable for me. I actually get to deal with things like entire prides of lions these days. Variety is the spice of life.

...Wait, this is a fort mode thread? In that case, keas, obviously. Same reason as the dingo actually, they appear everywhere and there's always a few already on map after I embark. I could deal with the thieving scum with wings bit if they just showed up less often. Removed them just like the dingo, never once regretted it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:55:14 am by Blastbeard »
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

illiousintahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 03:58:36 am »

You Unicorn haters are clearly just in a fell mood, cause they are entirely worth their weight in Ivory crossbows (to be used with cold iron bolts).
My vote goes to boogie men.
I don't see the point of them, they seem completely arbitrary in adventure mode to do what?!? Stop you travelling to different towns for quests you can actually complete instead of vampire quests straight out the door?
They mob you and you basically have to have your adventurer tooled specifically to handle them; plus there should be plenty of other things to harass you travelling at night like werewolves, and nocturnal giant whatevers.
Seriously; i do not play adventure mode because of the hassle to mod these arsehats out.
I can understand a titan coming from nowhere in the middle of the night, but these goobers teleporting to you in a pack of six i mean really *rolls eyes.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 04:07:04 am »

[ ... talking about adventurer mode ]
The dingo is simply too prolific. They will appear in any biome that is not permanently covered in snow or salt water, and do so far more often than [FREQUENCY:5] would suggest. Almost always, to be specific regarding my experience. The result, for an adventurer, are repetitive encounters with cannon fodder that would be better served pitting you against deadlier, more exotic creatures.
[...]

Hm, that means the animals that spawn are randomly drawn very differently in adventurer and fort mode? I find this interesting...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2016, 08:07:19 am »

Seriously; i do not play adventure mode because of the hassle to mod these arsehats out.
You can get rid of bogeymen pretty easily by setting the number of bogeymen types to 0 in advanced world generation.
I agree they are annoying, i lost my first two adventurers to them, since i could not work out what the symbol for houses was on the fast travel map(yes really), so i was unable to find shelter.
In fortress mode i don't my mind any creature, but i do hate cave spiders, if more in theory than practice, because they have the ability to permanently cripple a dwarf with little warning or drama. Fortunately the odds of this happening can be greatly reduced by setting cats loose on your caverns.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2016, 11:45:48 am »

Blood gnats and demon rats because everyone knows about deadly weather, zombies and monsters at evil sites. What they dont tell you about is the never ending tide of vermin that can get into anything and literally make your food rot by thier mere presence.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2016, 03:07:49 pm »

@Niddhoger:I hope the last part was a joke.  Please tell me the last part was a joke.
Don't worry, they can't read. We're safe. For now.

You say that but... Kea MEN cand read and WILL become necros. I was tooling around legends viewer and noticed kea men inside towers. Not "animated kea men" either, so it had to be a necro.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2016, 08:35:37 pm »

Worst thing about keas is, they are everywhere, almost. Unlike monkees and raccoons, who are only in certain Biomes, Keas seem to be everywhere. Well, except the mountaintop of a volcano. Or are they?  ???
Not in my case. I've got kea men and their horrifying corpses instead.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2016, 12:05:04 am »

You can get rid of bogeymen pretty easily by setting the number of bogeymen types to 0 in advanced world generation.
I agree they are annoying, i lost my first two adventurers to them, since i could not work out what the symbol for houses was on the fast travel map(yes really), so i was unable to find shelter.
In fortress mode i don't my mind any creature, but i do hate cave spiders, if more in theory than practice, because they have the ability to permanently cripple a dwarf with little warning or drama. Fortunately the odds of this happening can be greatly reduced by setting cats loose on your caverns.

Sorry I changed my mind.

Bogeymen are totally the worst. I just forgot about them because I always turn them off (yah Keas are annoying but I'm not even close to annoyed to the point where I'd go an turn them off). I feel that Bogeymen are completely contradictory to the living breathing world feel of dwarf fortress.

Toady has said before that bogeymen are a placeholder for a lack of a better mechanism that harasses players during the night to possibly represent a form of insanity...This placeholder is wayyyy outdated.

This game is so much better than the concept of Bogeymen seriously...I get it if you need to make a 3rd grade indie sandbox game, where nothing has historical context, and you need to make night time 'scary'. That is not this game!

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2016, 06:28:43 am »

After my previous last forts... Were-beasts are the bane of my existence and I hope they all get hit by a Goblin truck on their way to work.

I had a budding 2nd year fort with 50 or so people, so a were-panther decided to visit me, and even my basic army kitted out fully in Bronze got decimated by this guy. The ones that survived were bitten and infected, the were-beast was slain somehow, but the damage was already done.

A month later the bitten ones stood up and decided to start the !!FUN!!, decimating my entire fort until there were 4 people left... At that point I abandoned the fort.

Now with my new fort I'm cheating and 'euthanising' any dwarf that gets bitten, a bit like the zombie plague but with more hair. Sure it takes away lots of !!FUN!!, but the were-curse is arguably more powerful and deadly than a 150-big Goblin siege or a Necro attack, since one bite pretty much ensures a curse-cascade every month.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2016, 07:58:15 am »

Infection rate isn't 100%, so I'd recommend (single) quarantine for everyone bit over the next full moon, and release of the uninfected ones, with appropriate handling of those infected.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2016, 12:22:10 pm »

@Niddhoger:I hope the last part was a joke.  Please tell me the last part was a joke.
Don't worry, they can't read. We're safe. For now.
You just gave me an idea on what to mod next!
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2016, 12:28:17 pm »

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:31:05 pm by MoonyTheHuman »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2016, 01:02:33 pm »

Infection rate isn't 100%, so I'd recommend (single) quarantine for everyone bit over the next full moon, and release of the uninfected ones, with appropriate handling of those infected.

I've actually never had anyone bitten by a werecreature contract the curse, so I concur.

On topic, it's tough for me to choose between grey langurs and werecreatures.  The langurs have shown up for me a lot more often than keas and have made off with a lot of things.

But the werecreatures have definitely done more damage overall.  Especially in .40.24, since they were the only invaders I ever had.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5