Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How do dwarfs see?  (Read 6866 times)

Urist_McUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do dwarfs see?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 09:16:45 pm »

My headcanon is that dwarves carry a specialized microbiota in their beards, some of which produces a dim light (maybe as strong as a kid's glow-in-the-dark toy), and some of which respires oxygen. As dwarves create their dwellings, the microbiota spread from the beards and grow on the walls, taking care of both light and air.

This makes me desperately want dwarves in sealed suits, they make their own air! Space dwarves, undersea dwarves, biohazard suits!
I am an angry person. It's true. Anti-social misanthrope with a complete lack of an ability to tolerate stupidity. So if you say something stupid to me, or try and insinuate I must just be misunderstanding or doing something wrong, I will probably yell at you. Always take me at my word when I explain something. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm simply being honest, in a world where the average intellect is potato. Unhelpful patronizing "help", deserves a snappy retort. Grow some thicker skin.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 10:03:54 pm »

Like several before me have said, nightvision may be an innate supernatural ability. Martial trances are available for dwarves, but it hasn't yet been explained.

Edit: I'm so, so sorry.

I had already made this mistake earlier that day, too....
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:22:23 am by AzyWng »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 10:39:24 pm »

I like to think that dwarves can see in the dark but still enjoy the warmth and light from hearthfires. So when they host a party, they always have a few metal braziers burning coal or wood, perhaps incense. Warming cider?

Also, it would only make sense that dwarves put up torches or light-shafts (via complex mirror engineering for the most jnaccesable parts of the dungeon) for the traders and visitors. It wouldn't do to have some inept human stumbling through the pitch-black major corridors, clogging traffic for the rest. Some sections might remain blackened, both for defensive purposes (a blind goblin is a dead goblin) as well as lack of time/resources.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 01:14:36 am »

Like several before me have said, nightvision may be an innate supernatural ability. Marital trances are available for dwarves, but it hasn't yet been explained.
Again with the marital trances. *shudder*
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 01:24:08 am »

I'm of the boring "abstracted torches/lanterns" crowd. I just always imagined my dorfs either mounting candles on their hats or lugging around small lamps/torches to do their jobs, while others have wall sconces, light from smelters at work, etc.

Assuming there isn't some pleasing red light provided by magma channels, that is.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 03:41:13 am »

Like several before me have said, nightvision may be an innate supernatural ability. Marital trances are available for dwarves, but it hasn't yet been explained.
Again with the marital trances. *shudder*
Urist dreams of raising a family
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 07:06:56 am »

When I think about how dwarves are able to see in the deep tunnels of their fortress, I generally picture torches lining the long mine-shafts, giving off faint, greasy trails of soot that coat the faces of the miners.  Sure dwarfs have better night vision than humans, elves, or goblins, but that doesn't remove their need for some light.  And who, after months of seclusion in a dim, dank fortress wouldn't vomit after stepping out into the blindingly powerful sunlight.

Besides, a need for lighting might give beekeepers a use in the future (for harvesting wax), and that makes it good in my book.

Crab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 08:25:22 am »

Given humans can also navigate your mines fine, I think the answer can pretty much only be 'abstracted-away light'. Maybe in the future we'll actually need to make sure our fortresses are adequately lit.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 02:24:30 pm »

I thought they just carried lanterns that run on cat tallow wherever they go.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

jontiben

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 02:51:18 pm »

I used to think that Dwarves had infravision or something, but recently by fortress was visited by a pair of human bards, and they can see fine.

Shûl-nak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 02:53:48 pm »

Magma sunglasses.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 02:55:37 pm »

When I think about how dwarves are able to see in the deep tunnels of their fortress, I generally picture torches lining the long mine-shafts, giving off faint, greasy trails of soot that coat the faces of the miners.  Sure dwarfs have better night vision than humans, elves, or goblins, but that doesn't remove their need for some light.  And who, after months of seclusion in a dim, dank fortress wouldn't vomit after stepping out into the blindingly powerful sunlight.

Speaking of soot and smoke, I was reading about metallurgy the other day, and trying to imagine what kind of thick horrifying fumes coke smelting would emit... especially in a small unventilated underground room.  Meanwhile, a dead cat is in the hallway for a few days too long and they're all retching over the smell.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 03:12:36 pm »

Magma sunglasses.

Heh.. imagine dwarfs flirting at the Tavern: "Hey baby, you're looking quite... *puts on Magma Sunglasses* ... HOT today."
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 05:28:03 pm »

Speaking of soot and smoke, I was reading about metallurgy the other day, and trying to imagine what kind of thick horrifying fumes coke smelting would emit... especially in a small unventilated underground room.  Meanwhile, a dead cat is in the hallway for a few days too long and they're all retching over the smell.

So there is someone else who thinks it strange that dwarfs can burn wood or coal without producing smoke of any kind....

Urist McTrappington has been possessed!
Urist McTrappington has claimed a thread on the suggestions page!

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 05:35:57 pm »

Assuming there isn't some pleasing red light provided by magma channels, that is.
thank you for the amazing decoration idea
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4