Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: CrackedWalls Succession Fortress (Vanilla 42.05)  (Read 20306 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CrackedWalls Succession Fortress (Vanilla 42.05)
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2016, 03:56:35 pm »

Chapter 5 - Do You Dream In Color?

1 Slate

While my mandates are in motions, I start reviewing the military organization.

Seven founders there were, thus seven squads are set.
The first is lead by a Captain who Guards with the Swords.
The second shall be Command with the Mace.
The third to represent the Hammer of our forging.
The fourth utilizes the Axe for culling trees and foe.
The fifth wields the Spear to stab at the heart of the problems.
The sixth and seventh shall watch our flanks from Range.

The recruits fill the ranks, and new barracks assigned.

--

"Alpaca turd!" The production has come to a complete halt because there is no longer fuel to keep the forges, smelters, kilns, and glass furnaces blazing. 

I assigned three more wood cutters to cull the surface of trees that dare to sprout.

--

The earth is struck, the brook bleeds wetness was down the stairs shaft, but there do not seem to have water flow pressure to safely feed the power needed for the millstones.

I accuse the mechanics Erush and Zuthan of incompetence, so I randomly assigned some idlers and awarded them membership to the Mechanic’s Guild.   "Do a good job good or you'll be tied on the waterwheel.

--

I have the miners dig a second level of the marksdwarf training facility for an eventual expansion of the military.

I found six engravers and a miner partying in the unfinished Rest Area to the point of hunger and thirst.  I caught them, and threatened to revoke access to the tavern for being this drunk on the job.  The miner in the group blamed a mis-channeled floor and they were not capable to climb the Urist deep hole.  I ordered to construct a gabbro floor over the hole, and everyone to go back to work.

26 Slate
Twenty more Migrants arrived, and our population in Crackedwall rises up to 99.

2 Felsite

I found some promising nuggets from the recent migrants, so those were used to fill all seven squads with six members each.

I continue my personnel evaluation and I establish three civilian squads, with no assigned uniform and no training schedule.

"The Labor Union" composes of miners, lumberjacks, and the very few distinct skills such as fishing and herbalist.

"The Forge Guilds" are trainees for various individuals who likes specific weapons and armors.

And "The Nobles" for those individuals who can be ordered to get out of the way when their arse need saving or hiding.

--

Mandate #8: Land of Mead and Honey

Yes, you heard me right. I mandate the creation of the Bee Tower so that we may have mead and honey.  Mr. Bee Thikut will be our sole beekeeper.
The Bee Tower will be five floors with eight hives on each level.

15 Felsite
I dubbed thee “Weapon Inral” because she mentioned she has a preference for battle axes and that’s the reason I assigned her in The Forge Guild squad.
And it looks like my instincts it paying off!  Weapon Ilral Merchantshade, withdraws from society and has claimed a Metalsmith’s Forge!

Oh yeah, I’ve heard of these nutty jobs, and I also know great things can result from these.

I forbade all metal bars immediately: silvers, copper, and a couple of bronze bars.  Then I confiscated the steel short sword, steel spear, and steel crossbows and ordered them to be smelted.

12 days later, Ilral picked a steel bar along with gabbro stone, gabbro block, radiant cut green zircon, persimmon wood log, and more gabbro block and stone.

The spring season comes to an end, and I claim that some progress has been made.

The Cloth Mandate and Paper Making infrastructure is now functional.
30 robes are completed, with trousers and socks next in the queue.

"Oh yeah, have I told you I began to see in color?  Do you dream in color too?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Military Roster (click to show/hide)

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2016, 11:21:30 am »

We have bins of stone and bone jewelries, and plenty of rags similar to your current wardrobe.  Rest assure that I’ll select useful things.  Go along now," she adds belatedly, "Boss.”

Hehehe
Ô_ quack

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2016, 11:52:04 am »

OOC - I am up to mid-winter, and game just zips by so fast.  I have to keep re-reading my mandate/project.  I think I did due diligence is adding (N)otes to both "lever and bridge", "lever and floodgate" pairings, and I have plenty. 

As with fast progress, some of game play details did not get written down, so I will compensate with screen shots and explaining the stuff I built. 

p.s. I switched the game (around Summer ingame) to LNP and it runs stable.  I don't use dfhack stuff other than default performance tweaks. 
I've used Dwarf Therapist before LNP 42.06 r01 was released, which help sort out captains, and assign squads. 
The default Phoebus graphics applies, but the LNP did not update Crackedwall save raws, so I assume it's still ASCII.  I'll test it in Vanilla 42.06 before I upload the save. 

I estimate I can finish the my year in 2 more evenings, with the write ups to follow.
But I'm unsure if my projects will complete in the last 2 game months. 

Spoiler: my progress notes (click to show/hide)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2016, 12:39:13 am »

Chapter 6 - We Make Progress

Hematite
‘Weapon Ilral’ Merchantshade, our Royal Broker has created Unobgoden, “The Mellow Ropes”, a steel battle axe!  It’s value is 188,400.

One remaining steel bar is not enough to make a steel anvil to build a second metalsmith’s forge.

The first Rest Area bridge airlocks are tested, so digging deeper commences while the mayor campaign season begins.

Huzzah!  Nomal Crazyabbeys has been elected as mayor. Mayor Nomal is part of The Gilded Mace squad, so I spank her whenever the opportunity arise during our sparring.

Speaking of sparring, here's our barracks and archery range.

And the month ends with two new migrants joining Crackedwall.

Malachite
The miners have discovered the great magma sea and an expansive cavern.
I involve myself at this great discovery and demanded that proper fancy ramps be used to access the Great Forge instead of the uninspired carved stairs.

The news of the discovery of magma put the workers in great festive mood and seek inebriation at the tavern.

Friday the 13th of Malachite, a brawl ensues with Ilral, our Royal Broker who concludes a disagreement with Catten the Glassmaker with a fatal punch in the head.  Catten is buried in the clear class tower.

Catten had been bedridden in the temporary hospital by the “Big Room.” This old hospital has been dismantled and the reusable furnishings are moved to the new Hospital area.

The month of Malachite ends with the opening of a stone stockpile room workshops to make use of the excess stones.

Galena
The ramps heading down to the Great Forge is quite a distance away, so Rest Area 2 and Rest Area 3 have been excavated to have food, drinks, dining and beds.

The summer season ends with Cerol Craftwoods, “Spear Cerol” withdrawing from society, and claims a Leather Works.
I worry of our lack of Leather industry, and I indicated to the butchers to set a stray bunny and cavy pup for slaughter in hopes to gain some leather for Cerol.

Limestone
Autumn has come, and no leather is created from the bunny or cavy pup.  A lone mountain goat wandered on the surface and the seven squads jump on it.
No even a day pass, seven one-humped Camels wandered on the surface, and the seven squads are sent out to attack for leather!  They all did fine in chasing and slaying the camels, as well as vomiting from cave adaptation.  Cerol picks up a mountain goat leather, so that is good news.

Ahh, a welcome sight.  The outpost liaison Adil Asilasmel from Sobilmosus has arrived, with a caravan following.
Adil Asilasmel says, "The world is the same as ever." Ilral requested many things relating to weapon grade metals, and the meeting was concluded quickly.

Ilral traded away prepared lavish meals, some low quality copper & silver weapons, cut gems and crafts.  We got ourselves plenty of steel anvils, and a mix of bronze and bismuth bronze weapons and armors. 

On the 18th of Limestone, Cerol Craftwoods, “Spear Cerol” has begun a mysterious construction after raiding some items from the newly acquired items in the trade depot: mountain goat leather, donkey leather, stray reindeer bull bone, fire clay, electrum bars, various gems, and black bronze bars.

Four days later, Cerol made a single mountain goat leather low boot worth 73,080. She seems excited about it.  Here, see for yourself.

Sandstone
The brook above is pierced to feed the well cistern. Here is the functional Hospital with Bath Tub, future Luxury Jails with private well, and plumbing expansions.
A health inspector migrant arrives for the official opening of the Hospital.

Moonstone
Winter arrives and we are ready to fill the magma cistern of the Great Forge.
The month ends with the child Kadol Beachceiling, taken by a fey mood and claims a craft shop and wants shells to begin with, luckily we have pond turtle shells.

Opal
The Forgotten Beast Ngotdo has come!  A gigantic eyeless Cicada.  It has three short horns and it has bloated body.  Its clear exoskeleton is wrinkled. Beware its poisonous gas!  It’s in the third cavern, so we are ignoring and rather keep breathing.

Kadol Beachceiling created an turtle pond shell instrument with a value of 58,800.  You have to hear it, to comprehend it.

Obsidian
The Great Forge is functioning and Gwolfski has been busy processing many orders and continuous smelting.

I filled one of the magma forge with orders to make copper and silver bolts.
Spoiler: Forge Orders (click to show/hide)

The save file, CrackedWalls_Spring255 using Windows compressed folder.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:29:22 am by Sanctume »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2016, 05:27:07 am »

Spriggans' journal - I don't feel at home here...

Well, it looks like my love for glass made me a loner.
My rock-lover "friends" of the montain halls never stop making fun of me.
The other day, after a boring day of work, the dwarves played a knowledge game. The questions were always about rocks and minerals, such as : "I am a copper carbonate hydroxide mineral, who am I ?".
And then everyone whoops "Malachite !" together... And they laugh and they cheer, and are happy... and they ask me why I don't...

I don't feel good in this place. I have to talk with someone about my passion. I need to find someone else who likes glass.

In a cold morning of Moonstone 254, I talked with a messenger dwarf at the tavern.
He received orders from the Queen herself, and was about to leave for the fort of CrackedWalls. A thirthy days journey, he said. I don't recall exactly everything he told me, but I remember that the Queen was not happy with the last overseer, Sanctume, and had decided that the "Ford Prefect" El Rey De Los Monos would be in charge of the fort for the incomming year.
We drank a couple Sewer Brews and chatted.

As we spoke, I learned something astonishing : CrackedWalls was supposed to hold the future glass castle of her Majesty ! Out there, everything was focused around glass making ! Great walls and towers, many times the size of a dwarf, were made out of the shiniest clear glass of all. Transparent walls, translucent floors, faint furnitures, this place had everything !

The loud voice of the messenger woke me up as he got up the table swearing : "I tell you ! The Queen and her lust for glass... So many dwarves wasted for such a pointless dream..." and left the tavern.

The same night, asleep in my bed, I visualised all of it. The shiny castle. Dwarves working together. The limiteless possibilities. Strange ideas appeared before my eyes, beds built out of glass, plants growing on clear glass, magma used for lighting the castle, a cristal moat around the castle...
I started dreaming...
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2016, 07:20:42 am »

WAIT!!! We got a liason!?! Hmm...

Anywho, after school today, I'll write up a history report. This oughta be interesting...
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

El Rey De Los Monos

• Bay Watcher
  • Never forget your towel.
    • View Profile
    • Rey Mono Games
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2016, 09:28:45 am »

I will start my turn after work today.
“You are perfectly safe.”
“But that’s not the point!” raged Ford. “The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!”
- Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2016, 03:26:55 pm »

Great turn Sanctume. You are very very organized.
Ô_ quack

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2016, 05:19:31 pm »

Great turn Sanctume. You are very very organized.

Thanks. Oh yeah, I did some furniture stockpiles of roughly 15-30 tiles for each time in the Big Room.  I did not check if those were re-hauled.

I did not have time to build magma buildings up the Big Room because we lack steel, iron, nor nickel bars for minecarts.  But the Magma Filling Room should make this doable.

Focus to make more trade-able stuff so we can buy out all the metals from the caravan.

I forgot to check if I made more soap, I had camel and donkey tallow soap.  Marsh Titan Tallow Soap would be so awesome if it hasn't been used in cooking!

Mandate #5: Dig Deeper, Rest Area

How deep is deep ? Finally some magma smelters to spare some of the sparse wood ? :)

Also, do you overseers mind if we smelt-dup some steel ? Not that we really need it since the queen told to focus on glass... But you know, steel's better than copper... And I guess the militia that got slaughtered by the Zebra titan couldn't agree more if they were still there  :'(.

Quite deep, at least 100z deep, thus the 3 rest stop at approximately 30z apart. 

Need to do more exploratory mines to find more weapon grade metal ores.  Caravan had no iron, but plenty of steel, bronze, and bismuth bronze. 

I did see at least 1 candy around 5z below the magma tube we found.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2016, 08:03:16 pm »

History Update

All I have to say is... uh oh...

After Sanctume's turn I took the save and, well. Our dear queen is appearantly just a puppet queen.

And our capitol is actually a hillocks controlled by the elves and populated by goblins...

Oh, and our other two "settlements" are populated, I kid you not, by PEACOCKS! The only other center of dwarven populous, is a camp with 34 dwarves.

Events of 1st Granite 255

Once again, the Great Atrium of the Crackedwalls Palace was full of dwarves. But this time was different. Sure a new overseer was getting crowned, but something about how Ryukan was dressed and the unusually somber expressions of the Fortress Guard hinted that something was gonna go down.

"I stand before you again with Overseer Sanctume and El Rey. Sanctume, the scepter."

Sanctume, after one last back scratch, handed it to Ryukan. After the Lord High Judge wiped it off with a silk cloth he turned towards El Rey,
"recite the Oath of Office."

El Rey spoke
"I, El Rey, do hereby swear to lead this fortress to the best of my ability and to protect it from all enemies foreign and domestic, to defend it to the last drop of dwarven blood, to ensure booze runs freely and swiftly, and to construct pointless monuments to my personal vanity. So help me Armok."

Ryukan handed the scepter to El Rey. "All Hail Overseer El Rey!"

The thunderous applause was cut short by Ryukans hand held up.

"My friends. Last night my sources made a startling discovery. Our Queen was found to be in league with the Elves"

The Hall erupted in righteous outrage and indignation.

"Liar!"
"She would never!"
"This isn't true!"

"Friends! I know this is hard to believe, but I have found one who can tell us the truth." Ryukan motioned to the Doors and everyone made way for two guards towing a kicking goblin. The trio stopped in front of the dais.

"Is the queen living among your people and is in league with the elves?"

"Your queen is a whimpering coward who sold your kind out like the swine she and your race is!"

The goblin did not have time to smirk after his words because the guards chopped his head off.

Silence prevailed in the Atrium.

"I, Ryukan, do hereby decree with a heavy heart, that Queen Bosa is no longer our queen. Any who have any objections speak now"

Not a soul stirred.

"Then I hereby declare myself, as the last highest ranking noble, Lord Protector of the Robust Rooms in place of a King."

El Rey declared " All hail Lord Protector Ryukan!"

The Hall echoed "All hail Lord Protector Ryukan"

A somber attitude prevailed in the fortress the following week.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:25:41 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

El Rey De Los Monos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rey Mono Games
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2016, 12:43:11 am »

Spring

Journal of El Rey De Los Monos: The Supreme Overlord of the fortress Of Crackedwalls.
Date: 255/1/3

I have done it! I have pulled of the con of the century! "And what might that be?" you may ask. Dear reader I will tell you
I have managed to make myself Supreme Overlord of Crackedwalls. It is a relatively well to do little fort in the mountains.
Now obviously my first act is to build my personal chambers. I have picked a space well beneath the ground where I can retire at the end of this year and hide from those pesky elves should it come to that.

Date: 255/2/17

Progress continues as planed for my personal quarters.
In other news this happend:
I'm not sure what a magma crab is but DRINKS ALL AROUND!!

Date: 255/2/25

Had a very odd conversation with a dwarf who calls himself "Ford Prefect". He told me that he was actually from "Somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse".
I, having never heard of such a place told him to go to his home and lie down to which he responded: "I'm trying to, believe me. I want nothing more than to get home, my towel is filthy and is getting useless." I, not understanding at all what he was saying told him good luck and left hurriedly.

Date: 255/3/25

Things are going according to plan: my rooms are coming quickly and there has been no trouble from anyone here in fact, I have had no interruptions at all

Spring was pretty uneventful I will continue with summer tommorow or the next day.

“But that’s not the point!” raged Ford. “The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!”

Myran

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is Overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2016, 01:55:56 pm »

If being a total noob is allowed, sign me up please!

El Rey De Los Monos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rey Mono Games
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2016, 08:45:46 pm »

Summer

Journal of El Rey De Los Monos: The Supreme Overlord of the fortress Of Crackedwalls.

Date: 255/4/10

I decided to look at our current stocks and was promptly bored out my skull. I'm going get drunk.

Date: 255/4/20

progress continues on my bed chamber. I cannot wait to use it!

Date: 255/4/21

I had a brilliant idea today: I will commission engravings for my halls.

Date: 255/5/5

I was looking at the progress on my engravings and found some very interesting ones:
As was this:

Date: 255/6/27

My Chambers are done:

This was a very uneventful summer pretty much nothing happened except for some emigrants.

El Rey De Los Monos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rey Mono Games
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2016, 05:56:04 pm »

Fall/Winter

Date: 256/1/1

It has been a long time since I have written in this journal and I think back over what has happened  in this fortress during the last few months an d I hope whoever reads this can see my follies and learn from them.

earlier this fall I began to hear murmurs that the queen wanted me out at the end of the year which I was happy for so that I could retire and live peacefully underground
but it was a foolish thought I think that there is a plot against me in the nobles, so I have constructed an escape tunnel to the surface and I wait here hoping to not have to use it.
But enough about that. Here is everything that has happened in the last six months:

,It was a shield

,I was quite proud of this

I decided that I needed rock mugs so I started a stockpile for them

My bedroom is completely done

Also found this

That is all.
For the last time
El Rey De Los Monos

It was a very uneventful year
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11851

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2016, 07:53:11 pm »

Until that final megabeast shows up or we provoke the elfs I have a feeling "uneventful year, not much to report" is going to become a pattern.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12