Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: CrackedWalls Succession Fortress (Vanilla 42.05)  (Read 20320 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CrackedWalls Succession Fortress (Vanilla 42.05)
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2016, 03:38:06 pm »

Alright, I was hoping to finish another post tonight but it isn't going to happen. Expect one tomorrow. I really wish Onciblu would show up, I want to ask him how he recorded those gifs.

Are we already using v42.06 vanilla?

Yes we are! Though I haven't really tried out custom anything because I simply forget the option now exists. It's actually overwhelming how specific you can get. . .

And man has it been a PITA renaming and re-laboring 90 dwarfs manually. Luckily I have 9 years experience.

I have two questions:

1. How long are the turns? One week? Two weeks? It's good to define this now so when a player inevitably no-shows you have an excuse to pass their turn.

2. Do we have a target popcap in mind? I've actually set it at 90 because we already suffer from useless migrant syndrome. This can be roleplayed, too, but everyone has different computers and some players can't handle too many dwarfs.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 03:46:32 pm by Salmeuk »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2016, 04:56:06 pm »

Did you know that Dwarf Therapist for 42.06 works with 42.06 vanilla?  The link is in mod/DT thread.

Most succession forts I play are:
Two weeks game turn as a target, but more time are given based on posted results / efforts. 
PM that save is ready and it's their turn -- 1 to 3 days response back, 5 to 7 days at most?

Pop cap, I've played some with 200 and it gets laggy after some years.  At least 80 is good, so between 80-120 maybe?
I think LNP defaults to 120, just in case down the line someone starts with that pop cap number.

Let's stick with 90 for now, then have fun with recruit fodders when the time comes.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2016, 06:51:05 pm »

I think the unofficial rule of this fortress is 1 week turns, that's based off of Moony's failed attempt
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2016, 09:09:20 pm »

Sounds good. In lieu of an RP post today I'll give a little OOC tour of the fortress (had to stay late at work ehhh).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unseen are some uninteresting hallways and exploratory mineshafts, as well as the farms - a simple square room, just underneath the surface, with two patches of furrowed earth giving forth plump helmets and pig tails.

We found Native Silver, by the way! So maces will certainly be a thing. I was wondering how I could possibly equip twenty recruits with the dwindling supply of tetrahedrite, so the silver is a godsend.

And, we have no hammerdwarf as of yet, but the first male recruit who picks up a silver warhammer will become Imic, Smasher of Elven Dreams. . .
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:12:51 pm by Salmeuk »

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2016, 06:52:01 am »

1. The tavern, if you could call it that, needed to go. Only a single set of stairs supported nearly 800 blocks of solid gabbro, and having carved every last one of them I knew first-hand just how heavy those blocks could be. It was unfinished and already covered in vomit and spilled alcohol. It wasn't even made of glass! We agreed to put the idea to a vote, since we knew some dwarves might feel strongly about removing the work of late Onciblu.

Do wathever you want with this. Just make sure my body isn't in the same temporary poor coffin it was first deposited. I would like a nice tomb.

Also I am using ScreenToGif 1.4.2 to make the gifs, it is very easy to use.
Ô_ quack

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2016, 02:46:33 pm »

I'll use that strange egg-shape you designated at z-40 as your tomb.

Silver mining:

The pink gem is morganite, and it seems there's a second vein layered on top of the first.

This is what it looks like to oversee the production of some new copper picks, silver bars, coal, beds, stone cabinets and cut gems. The current furniture stockpile is a bit inefficient, and the dwarves are confusedly storing seeds in one of the bags there.

Yeah, I'm having too much fun with these .gifs. I swear I'll get back to the RP soon.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 03:17:06 pm by Salmeuk »

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2016, 02:53:14 pm »

It's a easter egg :D
Ô_ quack

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2016, 05:41:27 pm »

Journal of Ryukan

Construction of the glass castle has actually started by Armok's beard! Work has progressed well enough I suppose. The "Big Room" has been repurposed to our forgery.

The letter I received a week ago was puzzling. My new orders (once deciphered) were understandable. But the urgency was something else. My orders required me to apply for the overseership. The local members of the order and myself are holding an impromptu meeting tonight in the tetrahedrite deposit ( very convenient for holding these secret meetings) to discuss this latest news. Dodging the patrols of the Fortress Guard is a real task ( I really trained them too well) and I've been getting these looks from the dwarves here, I think they may suspect me of something.

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2016, 03:07:38 pm »

---

Summer arrived today, so we decided it was as good a time as any to demolish Onciblu's tavern. After some grumbling, every single dwarf was removed from the fortress and taken over the stream as a safety precaution. Multi-ton gabbro constructions cannot collapse any way but violently, and a stray block to the head isn't a risk I'd like to take. A few insisted that we bring kegs of wine, and proceeded to get massively drunk while waiting for the action.

Once the population had assembled, there wasn't much to do but pull the lever and hope for the best.

And then, nothing happened. A few confusing minutes passed, while those with the sharpest eyesight determined that the tavern's weight had come to rest on the newly-built glass wall. An embarrassing oversight on whomever decided to go through with the construction . . . ah, right. That had been me.

We postponed the collapse to another time. Everyone was thoroughly disappointed except those too drunk to notice. We helped them back across the rocky stream and normal life resumed.

We then found out that one of the glassblowers, named Kûbuk, had gone a bit crazy while we were gone.

No one noticed his absence from the demolition-viewing party, and as we returned we heard his screams echoing through the staircase. We thought he had burnt himself at the forge again. Upon investigation we found him huddled underneath one of the glass furnaces, looking as much as anything like a hunted animal hiding under a log. Any dwarf who made the mistake of locking eyes with Kûbuk would be incoherently shouted at, and anyone attempting to get closer than a donkey's length was threatened with violence. After some time, and a careful examination by the head doctor, we concluded this was nothing other than a particularly loud variation on the Strange Mood that members of our race occasionally find themselves afflicted by. He would be fine in a week, assuming we could give him what he wanted.

His demands were fairly modest, but we lacked the silk to satiate them fully. Oh, I hadn't mentioned this, but we discovered the caverns some time after summer rolled around. Us administrators felt they were best left untouched until we had a good reason (the surface forests were regrowing faster than expected) - the need for spider silk fit the bill.

One of our swordsdwarfs volunteered, and made a series of mad dashes into the damp, muddy darkness in order to retrieve the silk. Four bolts of cloth were hastily woven, one of which Kûbuk snatched up (he had finally stopped shouting), when. . .

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 03:54:50 pm by Salmeuk »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2016, 04:30:11 pm »

Journal of Ryukan

I woke to shouts muffled by my door. I quickly put on a gown and slippers and rushed outside thinking  the armies of hell had decended upon the fort. I found that it was just a marsh titan. I groaned and went back to bed.

Next morning I woke up and got dressed. I went outside to complete pandemonium and chaos. I shoved my way through the gathering mob and made my way to the Palace witch was home to the offices of of everyone who should know anything. To my surprise I found Salmeuk there with the rest of the nobles. I promptly told them to send the military to engage, and to keep the Guard in the fort in reserve. I was told, I kid you not, that they had it under control and I should head back to my room. Those spoiled pompous ass holes! Salmeuk didn't say anything though he looked like he was on my side, but couldn't help me without causing too much rioting. I completely understood and left for my room. On my way, I crossed the residential square and was bombarded by questions and I told them all to calm down and to go back to work, the nobility had it under control. They seemed mollified since I knew what I was doing and they left. I went to my room to have a glass of strawberry wine.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2016, 06:12:16 pm »

I swear, every succesion fortress I join seems to be going great until my turn arrives. At that point every unpleasant world-gen monster drops whatever they had been up to (eating small children, burning villages, eating all the cheese dip at parties) and walks a perfect line straight towards the fortress. They always seem to be the worst of their kind, too: weremammoths at Icehold, god-like vampires at Doomforests, and now a web-spewing titan that is probably going to kill someone.

However, I'm pretty sure the fortress is safe. I mean, if things go south there's no real saferoom to close up the civilians, nor do we have any sort of traps or automated defenses. Our sharpest weapons amount to some mediocre copper blades, and while the silver veins gave us some dense maces our twenty recruits haven't trained due to lack of space. Of course, twenty dwarfs eager for battle can kill most single-target threats if they can manage to dogpile. And legendaries are intimidating no matter what they weild. So yeah, we'll see. *gulps*

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:18:40 pm by Salmeuk »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2016, 06:37:16 pm »

I swear, every succesion fortress I join seems to be going great until my turn arrives. At that point every unpleasant world-gen monster drops whatever they had been up to (eating small children, burning villages, eating all the cheese dip at parties) and walks a perfect line straight towards the fortress. They always seem to be the worst of their kind, too: weremammoths at Icehold, god-like vampires at Doomforests, and now a web-spewing titan that is probably going to kill someone.

However, I'm pretty sure the fortress is safe. I mean, if things go south there's no real saferoom to close up the civilians, nor do we have any sort of traps or automated defenses. Our sharpest weapons amount to some mediocre copper blades, and while the silver veins gave us some dense maces our twenty recruits haven't trained due to lack of space. Of course, twenty dwarfs eager for battle can kill most single-target threats if they can manage to dogpile. And legendaries are intimidating no matter what they weild. So yeah, we'll see. *gulps*

Since I kindda just read Doomforest, I see your point, don't fret, it's not like none of the previous overseers of Crackedwalls had things going good with a decent military, good rooms and peace; then you come along and proceed to drop the ball... oh. Wait... never mind you kinda did. :D No worries though, we have enough people to just conscript everyone and charge... this tactic sounds vaguely familiar...

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2016, 06:48:10 pm »

It wouldn't be dwarf fortress if there weren't horrible, bone chilling deaths. looking forward to the next part.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2016, 02:56:50 pm »

The bay12er gestures at the thread.
The thread shutters.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2016, 06:35:16 pm »

Hey, who put the shutters up? We're just getting started!

---

Ozse Soakedhides the Scaly Nuts appeared at Crackedwalls on the 19th of Hematite, 253. A lone pig was the first fortress denizen to spot the monster, but he wasn't one to talk and so no one really noticed something was up until the twelve-foot tall Zebra was at our gates. Kadol Beachceiling, a particularly ugly child, first noticed the titan as it ran past the clear glass walls pursuing a distressed llama. Kadol happens to be the only daughter of Kûbuk Paintceiling, the previously mentioned moody dwarf who was currently preoccupied with collecting a bunch of random shit and making "something important."

Eventually shouts filled the staircase and I was alerted to the threat. Us administrators took a minute to decide a course of action, and when Ryukan intruded with some vague advice he was brushed aside rather rudely. We were all scared and couldn't spare the time for social grace, but I still felt bad for the guy.

We posted the more experienced Fortress Guard at the head of our staircase, just underneath the surface, while the four squads of mace-wielding recruits were ordered aboveground. Everyone else was told to remain calm and go about their normal business. Kûbuk, the moody glassmaker, chose this point in time to finally stop stealing things and get to work.

Ozse targeted our pastured animals at first, buying time for the squads to assemble. We couldn't afford a piecemeal engagement - a combined assault would be needed to take this beast down. The animals would just have to endure.

A rooster experienced it's first and last taste of flight:

A dog by the name of Rovod lost it's head, while the still-twitching body was slammed into a nearby gingko tree:

Then a doe rabbit was smushed, after an admirable display of floofiness. A duck found it's true calling and became a kickball, then exploded against the side of a horse. Animals left and right were executed via hoof - meanwhile only eight dwarves had climbed the staircase.

This thing was strong, but not very fast. A donkey and a turkey fled into the sand north of our gates while Ozse trailed behind. The turkey, distinctly disadvantaged by how fat it was, met it's fate in the black, sun-warmed grains of the desert.

The donkey was faster, but had little stamina on the sand and was quickly devoured by Ozse.

It became clear Ozse's title was no metaphor:

The mace squads were still assembling when a baby Alpaca dashed through the gate, running past the soldiers and down the ramp. The thundering sound of foot-wide hooves frightened the recruits, who were well aware they had no training, no shields, and no armor. However, they stood fast as Ozse rounded the corner and crossed into the courtyard. Sporting two long antennae and soaked in the blood of multiple beloved pets, this ghastly equid was a fearsome sight.

The first squad to engage was immediately enveloped in a sticky mass of web. Two recruits were stamped to death in an instant:

This was followed by the disintegration of Imic, a particularly promising recruit who had intended mastery of the war-hammer:

The remaining member of the squad met a similar fate:

It was apparent that any other attempts to engage the beast would most likely end the same way. I rescinded my previous orders and instead got to work building a plug. I knew that I had less than a minute before the titan found it's was down the ramps and into the fortress. The fortress guard would need to buy time for my work, and they stood resolute just outside the staircase as I made haste to find the necessary stone. Cutting grooves into the hallway, I fitted the dacite boulder into a one-way plug that no amount of strength could budge. The seal wasn't permanent, but Ozse would need to die before we opened the passage.

Ozse was ten tiles away when I finished.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12