Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: CrackedWalls Succession Fortress (Vanilla 42.05)  (Read 20282 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CrackedWalls Succession Fortress (Vanilla 42.05)
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2016, 07:29:08 pm »

Mad Sal the Mason, Sanctume the Macedwarf, Lord Ryukan the High Judge, and Gwolfski the Manager all sit around a gabbro dining table. The ghost of Onciblu watches through a crack in the wall. The dwarves are discussing military reform.

"I remember Erib, the expert crossdwarf. He migrated sometime before I took the role of overseer. I mean, I know it wasn't the best use of his skills to give him a mace and some copper chain, but what else was I supposed to do? All of you should try spending more time in The Big Room. If you spent a little more time working with the dwarves, rather than lording over them, you might understand the specific difficulties in producing bolts . . ."

More assertions from the others.

"If we could forge silver maces, why not bolts?!"
"You're one to talk. All you've done for the past year is make stone cabinets, only leaving that damned workshop to eat."
"He really is crazy. . . "
"What a waste of Erib's prowess."

Sal continued. "Alright then, let me spell it out for you. It's not like I maliciously assigned him that role, it was part of a larger draft that included any dwarf who claimed even the smallest amount of military proficiency. I drafted speardwaves too you know."

"What about the bolts?"

At this point Mad Sal excused himself from the room, and returned in some time with Erib himself.

"Alright, Erib, tell them what you just told me."

"Uh, um, excuse my presence your lorships. . ." Erib mumbled.

"Get on with it!"

". . .In order to properly.equip and train a squad of marksdwarves, at least if you want to do it competently, you need a steady supply of training bolts. You also need a large stock of broadheads, quivers for everyone, a room to train in, a place to shoot from when the elves come, and they should have armor and a seperate barracks for morale, and. . ."

Sal cuts him off. "You see? It isn't a simple matter of making some bolts and carving some wormy-wooded crossbows. Erib is an expert and needs proper logistical support in order to perform. I can't give him poor treatment and expect his cooperation."

Erib speaks up. "Uh, sir, if your referring to my time spent with the macedwarves I'll tell you I surely appreciated it. When a gobbo gets to close, you sometimes need to thwack him before he guts you. The principles I learned with a mace are the same I know from my time spent defending the mountainhome, with a crossbow."

Sal sits back down, after dismissing Erib. "Everyone satisfied? Good. Let's get back to a real topic.""

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2016, 10:58:24 pm »

Journal of Ryukan

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate these board meetings. This last one was no exceptions, just meeting on military reform. Pttf, they can reform all they want, my fortress guard are not doing anything without my distinct permission. After the meeting I picked up a barrel of Strawberry Wine (well I ordered one picked up :) ) and took it to my Dinning room.

As I was finishing up, I noticed that some papers were missing and out of place. I don't know who, but I need to find them. If word gets out of this, the plan could be ruined. I'll send word to the council and warn them, but I think they'll ignore me again. I'll have to find the person myself.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2016, 11:25:05 pm »

CrackedWalls Prologue

Spring 254
Sanctume mumbles the words, "swearing... this... protect... enemies, defend... booze..., pointless... vanity... Armok!"  Then he stares at a scepter in distaste, shrugs and proceeds to scratch the back of his neck with it.

4 Granite
I’m Sanctume Wetswords and here I am holding a scepter that suppose to imbue power and authority, but all I can think of this moment is, “what in Armok-beard trimming arse-hair has gone wrong?” 

I have a foul taste in my mouth that I even begin to think I dislike maize beer.  I’m rusty as a wood cutter which is a blessing, and a proficient engraver, but this is not the issue.

Personally, I care less on what I wear, but just look what I’m wearing!  This ratty outfit is so 251, and my new position needs flair for the public eye!  My stone jewelry are timeless pieces at least. 

Anyway, I know I have such an unfortunate surname since I am really interested in learning to use a mace.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
--

First impression, CrackedWall is looking shiny with the clear glass walls.  “Hey you, there’s a llama on top of that wall and it’s looking thirsty, why don’t build a ramp to help bring it down.

Gabbro flooring all around, nice, and plenty of gabbro blocks litter outside from collapsing The Cakes of Sun tavern into rubble.

I see this clear glass tower erected maybe four Urist high right in the middle.  A low hill rise in the northeast, and the black sand desert spreads to the northwest.  A calm brook from the east flows down heading south and disappears to the south east.

I strike a pose, the wind billowing my ratty vulture leather cloak.  I raise my hands to the heavens, and kneel down to the earth, and “Aah-choo!”  Damn these grass: reedgrass, ryegrass, blue sedge, bentgrass, dropseed, and Armok-beard-hair grass!  They just make me sneeze during spring.

“Oh Midor, give me fame.  No, I don’t need fame now, I need clothes!  Oh Almosh, give me strength! C’mon Rigoth, let us go to work.  Oh, that’s right, the Lord High Judge Ryukan don’t want your wooly arse leaving turd nuggets all over the great hall. Stay.”  The skinny pale brown alpaca spits on the grass and bleats at Sanctume. 

--

First, let me look around on who is in charge here.  Well besides the power behind this scepter, I need to delegate so I have time to find new clothes and a mace.

I might as well start with Ryukan for handing me this scepter, and giving me a headache!  I swear the maize beer he provided is tainted.  It is good that he is adept at counting rocks; to which I first inquire, “We got any silver?”

Ryukan peers onto some parchment he is carrying and responded, “178 silver bars, and plenty of silver and tetrahedrite ores.  That should yield a few more.”

I said, “That is good.  Got any spare clothings? How many maces and war hammers?  I want to make sure to order those.”

Ryukan clears his throat, “Ahem, that is beneath my pay grade. You may need to review the offices and look for the manager.”

I am about to start on some rant imbued by the authority behind this scepter when Ryukan interrupts, “I’m quite busy.  If you need to look at my ledgers, please visit me during office hours.  I need my noble sleep.”

Not wanting to just keep staring open mouthed, I yelled, “Anyone seen the manager?”

Gwolfski heard my yell and responds, “Asob Channeledfatal is the manager and asleep in her quarters, still.”

I turn around, “Well, you are exuding enthusiasm.  You happen to be a great organizer?”

Gwolfski responds, “more than great, organizer, yeah, very great.   You’re looking thirsty there, boss.”

I muse, “Boss? I’d offer you the job, but I need to setup an interview to make it look more legit.  I’d like order a mug of beer…  and manager makes it happen.  Tell you what, I don’t have an office and The Chamber of Sun tavern is as good as any.”   

An official interview commences, and mugs of beer flow.

I observe, “You definitely show initiative.  You can have the manager position, mister... Gwen Stufunny… ?”

Gwolfski bows, “Gwolfski Bodicesummers, your servant sir.  This have any benefits?”

I shrug, “I’m sure there’s an office for you.  I am fine with this tavern for myself.”

I snap my finger as a brilliant idea come, and yell in the crowd, “I need a volunteer, a witness of sorts!”

Imic stirs from the crowd and slurs, “I’ll be your witness…. witness for what?”

I sip my beer, “and who you be good sir?”

Imic grins, “Why, I am Imic Ochrebeans, your legendary Mason next to Mad Sal.”

I stand up, “Hear ye good citizens of Crackedwall, I hereby assign Gwolfski the manager position with Imic as my witness, Armok be blessed!”

Goden Priceroom pauses in her story telling and a noticeable hush spread throughout the tavern because I rudely interrupted with my declaration.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 08:40:39 pm by Sanctume »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2016, 11:49:40 pm »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that literally every single piece of clothing in the fortress is rotting. A few more months and you might just be leading the largest colony of nudists this side of the continent. What was the name of that other outpost, the one full of nude elves. . . ?

Ah, right, "Danglerod the Glistening Freedom." How could I forget the time their trade liason arrived, completely naked and riding a donkey. He didn't even have a saddle.

We musn't let ourselves lose civility, despite our dying civilization. I propose thongs and capes for everyone!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2016, 03:01:12 am »

Chapter 1 - Bottoms Up

Early Spring

Gwolfski informs me that he took over Asob’s old office, and adds, “by the way, you should find a new tavern keeper because that was my old job.”

I exclaim, “you serious? You should find your replacement.  Isn’t that a tavern thing?”

Gwolfski, “Umm no. Look, thanks for the job.  I’ve got clear glass blocks jobs to manage.  And you, you get to do the hire and fire gig.  See you in the tavern later.”

“Okay, I’ll find stuff to order soon,” I mumbled.

I end up wandering and find myself in the tavern again. 

“Hey babe, how about getting me a mug of beer?”

Edem raises her eyebrow, “I’m on break, get it yourself.”

I smile, “but you are helping yourself there quite nicely, I’d appreciate it very much.”

Edem grunts and resigns to filling up mugs, “hey, you that new boss.  How you liking it?”

I shrug, “I don’t know yet, don’t even have an office.  What do you around here?”

Edem wipes her face with her ratty wool cap, “I make fuel and ash, and drink here.”

I eye her threadbare clothings, and linger over the marsh titan bone jewelries.

I ask, “are you content burning wood?”

She sips, “I rather hang out here, enjoying the scene.”

I grin, “you know, it just happens that I need a new tavern keeper.  You seem qualified. Interested?”

Now it’s Edem’s turn to smile as if I said something funny, “I’d be crazy to turn this down.  I like parties. I’m Edem Hornaxes.”

I raise my mug,“Sanctume Wetswords. And my mug needs a refill, wench.” 

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:18:44 am by Sanctume »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2016, 04:51:52 am »

Yeah ! Clear glass fortress ? I want in ! :P

I've always been a glass guy. I prefer to drink my ale in glass cups rather than rock mugs. Rock is rough... Glass is clear.
The dwarves of the moutain halls, they all say I'm stupid... They all say I should become a rockcrafter...
But I want to contribute building the glassiest castle for the queen's glory !

Can I get on the list ? :)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2016, 04:57:58 am »

Someone needs to look a legends mode.
Has the queen... Died?...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2016, 07:30:33 am »

Someone needs to look a legends mode.
Has the queen... Died?...
Not that I'm aware, I'll check after santume's turn
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2016, 07:38:38 am »

Springgans, I like your attitude. You're on the list.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2016, 02:08:56 pm »

The ghost of Onciblu sighs.
"They are talking about the militia, only the militia. Why they need a militia on a place that has no minecarts running?"

The ghost of Onciblu turns around.
"It's not like the wooden bastards can do much damage"

The ghost of Onciblu floats down in to the ground.
"I bet my bones it would not take more than a broken leg to fix the tracks"

The ghost of Onciblu disappear mumbling away.
Ô_ quack

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2016, 10:34:21 pm »

Chapter 2 - Mandates

Mandate #1: The Cloth Mandate
I met Inod Relicrouted while listening to a story in The Cakes of Sun.  She’s a legendary herbalist and might just be the right dwarf for my first mandate.

I dub thee “Cloth Inod” to gather all plants in the surface that can be used for cloth.  There are a handful of rope reeds along the brook, so gather those to make threads and seeds. 

Inod has been bored from lack of crafting, so she will also begin her career in as a Grower, Thresher, Weaver, and Clothier to be in charge of fashion designing 80 sets of Robes, Trousers and Socks for the citizens.

I am also keeping in mind Ryukan’s request for his Library.  I am thinking that after this clothing mandate is complete, the plants will be converted to slurry and I may be able to practice my rusty paper making skill. 

The work party is ready to dig the work space needed, and the mechanics assure me they can have a small power reactor for the millstones.

Gwolfski has my first order batch.

Mandate #2: Military Supplies Mandate
The current squads will need a more in depth review.  I want to start soon without going too much micro managing the captains, so I quickly glance at the current stocks to see where I can improve the logistics to support a more robust military.

Of the estimated 30 to 40 military personnels, there exists: 6 backpacks, 2 quivers, and 4 flasks.
There are 12 tanned hides, so I order 12 leather quivers right away.

I will review the weapons and armor later, but there are only 2 wooden, and 4 copper shields currently in service.  I order 30 wooden shields.

Checking the bars stockpile, I order: 1 sterling silver, 3 billlon, 1 nickel silver, 1 lay pewter, 1 fine pewter, 1 electrum, 1 brass, and 21 silver flasks to cover the first 30 flasks.

There are 8 copper bars and 178 silver bars.  No iron, nor steel bars.

There 67 tetrahedrites that will take priority to be smelted to gain more copper bars.
3 Smelters are activated smelt all the tetrahedrites with great urgency.

Mandate #3: Military Weapons Mandate
Spoiler: Weapons Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tentative Plan (click to show/hide)

Mandate #4: Military Armor Mandate
Spoiler: Armor Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tentative Plan (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 11:13:43 am by Sanctume »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2016, 11:53:15 am »

Chapter 3 - What’s Down Below?

Mandate #5: Dig Deeper, Rest Area

I went down to visit the barracks where the troops are training.

Thud! Thud! Thud!

“Hey fellas, there seems to be something stinky banging on that crumbling granite door.”

"Hullo?"  The troops are ignoring me, so I ask Erush and Zuthan, the mechanics to set a cage trap and catch whatever it is banging beyond the door.

I continue to descend down the single stairs heading deeper.

I find Bomrek the Poet constructing a wall that exposes the stairs to the caverns. 

I’m disappointed that the stairs has not gone deeper, so I sketched some plans for a Rest Area prior to having the miners continue digging deeper.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2016, 02:22:45 pm »

That wall was the last thing I ordered, and I took a few extra days into spring to ensure it's almost completion. Spring had snuck up on me, and there's nothing more dangerous than an exposed cavern opening that no one knows about.

I assume you saw the marble quarry around that part of the fortress too. Marble is good for statues and tables. Or secret underground lairs.

Also, I think getting the minecart track up and running would be awesome but dangerous - it would primarily help to move glass blocks up to the surface now that the furnaces are located belowground. Hardly a priority, but certainly a project should you find yourself unoccupied.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2016, 09:32:08 pm »

Chapter 4 - More Mandates

Mandate #6: Marksdwarf Training Facility

Instead of waiting for the equipment to complete, I also prepare the construction site for the marksdwarf training facility on the same level as the current barracks.

Mandate #7: Hospital, Well, and Luxury Jail Suites / Mental Health Services

4 Granite

“Help me, I’m getting sober.  All this mandates are flying out of my head… it feels swollen!”

The troll destroyed the granite door!

“I started yelling, we’re being invaded!” 

I called for every squad to kill the troll!  And they all moved, running around, complaining about equipment mismatch, or lack thereof.  Then every squad just stood there, unsure what to do.

I demand, “did you kill the foul beast yet, that destroyer of property?”

Nish, the slayer of titans say, “the beast troll cowers beyond the unpassable pillars of Crakedwall, sir.  Would you like to command the mason to remove the walls?”

I peer at the smooth block wall, “Oh, ahh, we are safe!  I thank you for your bravery good Nish.  Carry on in your training.  Say, while you’re here, do you provide private lessons for weapons such a mace?”

Nish looks at me with both admiration and disgust (I think), “Sir, you are better off pulping an empty armor stand by yourself instead of wandering the halls ordering everyone to chase a beast beyond reach.  You will do good playing by yourself.”

--

I am baffled, but I decide that Nish admire my new leadership role.  I must procure my own armor set and schedule my personal training soon.  Wait, I don't have personal training room yet... Alright, as soon as I get my delega-tees start moving into action on my behalf, I will find time.

I run into Bomrek telling me that he completes the construction of the wall that seals the cavern from access.  “I shall recite my latest poem tonight, see you there.”

6 Granite

I go up the surface to rub wooly Rigoth, there's a good lass.

The rope reed farm plot “sunroof” is channeled and we will use the gabbro blocks that litter out here.

Where are the haulers?  Why do these two dacite boulders bother me so much?  I cannot trap these precious stones behind grates. I must wait...

--

I feel helpful getting in the way to do things proper.  The two female mechanics, Erush and Zuthan, flirt with me throughout the process of explaining screws, pumping, and gratings.  Yeah, I’m ready to pierce that brook, and let the wetness flow and make power!

“Ahem, oh yeah, I’m here just to observe.  Please proceed.”

The grate is placed, and some dig adjustments to install a floodgate for water source control.  The place a pillar to reset the water pressure.  When the floodgate is linked to a lever, we can pierce the brook to provide water.  I feel more knowledgeable about fluid dynamics now.

--

The miners are ecstatic with plenty of dig orders.  The Rest Area dig is complete and building of airlock bridges, and placing levers have begun.

Oh, and the archery range digging begins.  I shall have the engravers smooth the archery range first so that we can channel the tiles around each archery target.

15 Granite

“Oh yeah, the smell of that copper tang from that triple furnace smelting tetrahedrites is a welcome scent of glory.”  Speaking of which, I now have time to design my personal training room...

A elven caravan from Alu Emene has arrived.  “Oh pluck my hairy-arse, leave me alone!”

“What do we have to trade with these filth?  I am not in the mood for murder (yet).  I want these creatures to bring animals for butchering to make backpacks and quivers.”

Broker Ilral approaches, “why don’t you oversee something else and let me ply my trade with these merchants.  We have bins of stone and bone jewelries, and plenty of rags similar to your current wardrobe.  Rest assure that I’ll select useful things.  Go along now," she adds belatedly, "Boss.”

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2016, 04:27:16 am »

Mandate #5: Dig Deeper, Rest Area

How deep is deep ? Finally some magma smelters to spare some of the sparse wood ? :)

Also, do you overseers mind if we smelt-dup some steel ? Not that we really need it since the queen told to focus on glass... But you know, steel's better than copper... And I guess the militia that got slaughtered by the Zebra titan couldn't agree more if they were still there  :'(.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12