Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 858924 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #10905 on: March 09, 2023, 11:01:09 pm »

I do like the Fiber One bars as a lazy breakfast.  The Quest bars are pretty good but regardless of which flavor you picked it's the same texture.

I'd say just jamming a big can of beans is a bit... drastic?  My dad makes big pots of chili that make up my bean intake, its got several bean types with ground beef, good bit of spice.  Problem is I spend a whole pack of crackers to spoon it with like dip, so it's far too many calories.  Prep wise sure it's involved but you can fridge/freeze half for another meal later.  It took me a long while but that chili taught me beans ain't so bad.

Also beans, I tried a vegetable soup for the first time, real chunky one that had beans.  One of those microwave bowl ones so you can probably pull it off.  Good "made-my-day" stuff, like a craving I wasn't quite aware of, probably from too many lunches of diet shakes.

Asian style stir fries were also a big vegetable source as a kid, and from what I understand not too hard, just a big wok/pan and a rice cooker.  Then again, a lot of Asian supermarkets here for whatever reason which probably helps.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10906 on: March 09, 2023, 11:12:43 pm »

Basic lazy ass stir fry doesn't particularly need a big wok, just a pan and some oil (which may be optional, for that matter), for what it's worth. All it's really doing is, well, stirring whatever you're cooking while it fries. Basically anything you can put over a cooking element can manage that, woks just have a particularly good shape for it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10907 on: March 09, 2023, 11:43:24 pm »

Basic lazy ass stir fry doesn't particularly need a big wok, just a pan and some oil (which may be optional, for that matter), for what it's worth. All it's really doing is, well, stirring whatever you're cooking while it fries. Basically anything you can put over a cooking element can manage that, woks just have a particularly good shape for it.

I'd classify stir fry as "you should know what you're doing in the kitchen before you try this" level of cooking, personally :P

I really appreciate your feedback Nenjin, you're always a very wholesome and helpful person.

I've tried psyllium husk before, and it's amazing, it just works wonders... but there's a part of me that doesn't trust it, because I'm opening myself up to the utter absence of regulation that the 'supplement' industry enjoys, I could be subtly poisoning myself with fucking anything. Now, it'd be a pretty big story if people were getting sick off of Metamucil, and despite all my own positive experiences, I don't want to gulp down the candied lies on the bottle too readily. Intuitively, I'd think extracting the fiber from food sources, not supplement sources, would be best; but damn does the psyllium husk work miracles when I'm in trouble on the toilet.

Though to be honest, my efforts to get the fiber from food sources has been half-assed at best. Preparing a vegetable heavy meal actually takes skill, time, and motivation; the things I'm the most drained of and don't have on a day-to-day basis.

You're 100% right about the exercise though. Getting my shit together enough to force myself to exercise is something I really have no excuse for; I guess I'm just ungrateful of the life I've been given. I suppose I do have the excuse that I'm drained after work, and I just want to relax and not spend more time working; but I've been unemployed for long stretches of time and just laid-about for basically all of it. I'm just ungrateful, and suffering for it.

Aw, thank you man. Don't be too hard on yourself. I did the unemployed for years thing as well. Was fortunate enough to! That's when I hit what I think was my personal rock bottom as an adult. But ya know, I got my shit together, eventually. You got a job, you got enough to live, you got space to improve. Start small, go big, empty motivational slogans, etc..... :P

On the Psyllium Husk thing....you're not wrong, but I would look at it this way: if you're not solving your problems by getting a better diet, and crapping is an immediate issue, then taking some processed but generally "organic" thing made by a corporation is solving your immediate quality of life problem now vs. an unknown amount of damage later. I guess the question is what do you want to suffer: many thousands of unpleasant bathroom experiences (and consequences from those experiences) over the course of the rest of your life or something that when you're 60 you learn it kills you.

I wasn't even going to mention Metamucil but I see you've already been there too. Honestly, while I may not wholly disagree with your take, I think you know what the more measured and immediately life improving solutions probably are.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 12:49:19 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10908 on: March 09, 2023, 11:56:08 pm »

Jesus, Josh, don't eat just beans alone. Make a pot of chilli, like Roboto said, to last you a few days. The '2am chilli' is an excellent, simple recipe that you can tweak with more/less meat/veggies however you like:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/279223245621070255/ (you're supposed to read it like it's two columns, not in rows)

Also, whenever you eat something with rice, like a curry, add half a can of (washed) red beans to it. It doesn't particularly change the taste, but looks nice on a plate, and you get your fibre boost.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10909 on: March 10, 2023, 03:31:15 am »

Dude, try rolled oats, I'm not sure how they're treated in the US (overinflated 'healthy food' prices or not) but in these parts of the Europe they're easily the cheapest form of cereal you can get. That's mostly because they're the blandest most basic form of cereal but that's what makes them great too. You can cook them on a stovetop, leave them to soak overnight or just nuke them in the microwave for a couple of minutes and you have a great fiber rich base to add stuff to. My personal go to is to make them plain with water (since my stomach no longer agrees with milk all that much) then add a few bits of cooking/dark chocolate and mix it up so it melts nicely before adding either a bit of honey or maybe a sliced up banana. It's dead simple, done in under five minutes and gives me a hot meal that's good to keep me going for a while.

And the best part is that's just one take of many, any sort of fruit or sweet flavour goes great, heck even salty variants can be pulled off if you use yoghurt (what you US folks might call the Greek variant I guess) as it pairs better with stuff like ham or cheese.

Hell if you're willing to pump it further in terms of nutritional value, my sister occasionally just dumps a tablespoon of protein powder (the whey based stuff, can't recall the exact name atm) into the mix so it covers both bases.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10910 on: March 10, 2023, 07:29:01 am »

I'd classify stir fry as "you should know what you're doing in the kitchen before you try this" level of cooking, personally :P
I wouldn't, at least not on the basic level. Simple stir fry is barely more complicated than boiling water, all you do is put stuff in a pan with a bit of oil (not even enough to cause a meaningful kitchen fire!) and then move it around for a few minutes on medium heat. Not amazing results like that, but it's tasty enough according to the people I've fed it to. One of the easiest things I've cooked in my life :P

If you're getting fancier, though, yeah, but throwing your desired ingredients in a pan, drizzling oil over it, and then stirring it around until it's cooked takes remarkably little kitchen know-how, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10911 on: March 10, 2023, 07:57:06 am »

can confirm, a big box of quaker (not the instant stuff, the steel cut or rolled) goes a long way.  I like peanut butter, garlic, and salt in mine.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10912 on: March 10, 2023, 08:24:17 am »

Oat is delicious with yoghurt, but yoghurt seems to have the adverse effect of fiber... Been wondering for a while if I could mix some athelete bomb in record time... Take some oat, take a little yoghurt, a fruit or two, some protein powder, throw it in a mixer, add enough water so it can be chugged. I should try one day.

Is kiwi rare/ unpopular in the USA? Man it triggers my frey's syndrom just think about those tasty alien testicles.

I have been dreaming of waffels as of late, the whole country keeps bragging about it's waffles but there ain't shit in the supermarkets... I want a real waffle man, crunchy on the outside, buttery melow on the inside, foamy light.

FUCKSAKE WHO EDITS THOSE SHITTY WEEZING SOUNDS INTO SHORTS, IM PHYSICALLY RECOILING MIDWAY THROUGH THE SECOND LOOP, FUCKSAKE IM GOING TO STAND IN THE RAIN.
let

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10913 on: March 10, 2023, 08:32:34 am »

hahaha theyre common enough in mid-range grocery stores, but theyre usually small and not really super ripe imo
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10914 on: March 10, 2023, 11:41:09 am »

small? like cherry sized??? they're supposed to only leave 1 fruit at each node, then that fruit blow up to the size of a kinder surprise
let

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10915 on: March 10, 2023, 11:50:07 am »

I mean that theyre smaller than they were.  Everything in the US is shrinking in size as prices rise and people can get away with it.

Im struggling to get a good universal comparison in mind....  If a 'big' kiwi is about the size of a double shot glass, than the ones Im talking about are only slightly larger than a single.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10916 on: March 10, 2023, 12:41:38 pm »

Fecking UCAS man. Pain in the arse putting in all my qualifications.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10917 on: March 10, 2023, 12:54:08 pm »

Maybe you should consider being less brilliant? Then you’d have fewer things to enter.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10918 on: March 10, 2023, 03:18:14 pm »

I wouldn't, at least not on the basic level. Simple stir fry is barely more complicated than boiling water, all you do is put stuff in a pan with a bit of oil (not even enough to cause a meaningful kitchen fire!) and then move it around for a few minutes on medium heat. Not amazing results like that, but it's tasty enough according to the people I've fed it to. One of the easiest things I've cooked in my life :P

Amateurs in the kitchen generally don't understand that stir fry involves very high heat and constantly keeping the food moving. Almost all cooking is about timing and heat control and those aren't skills most amateurs in the kitchen know. Hence why I don't think it's on a basic level of cooking. Do it wrong and you just end up sautéing your food instead of stir frying it.

Is kiwi rare/ unpopular in the USA? Man it triggers my frey's syndrom just think about those tasty alien testicles.

If I can find them in every grocery store in the heart of the midwest, I'm sure you can find them in any American grocery store.

hahaha theyre common enough in mid-range grocery stores, but theyre usually small and not really super ripe imo

It varies by species and who is growing them. I've seen kiwis about the size of my palm, and kiwis the size of a small apple. Just depends. And frankly, I don't like ripe kiwis. They go soft very quickly. I think I'd rather have a slightly under-ripe kiwi because it's tart while still being a bit sweet and has a firm texture. Versus a ripe one which has no tartness, is very sweet and kinda mushy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10919 on: March 10, 2023, 04:33:48 pm »

Do it wrong and you just end up sautéing your food instead of stir frying it.
The upside to that is then you have saute'd food, though, which ain't exactly a bad thing. Still tasty failure state is one of the more desirable things in low effort/entry level cooking, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 779