Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 858995 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #10305 on: August 23, 2022, 04:15:19 pm »

... does remind me I once hit a dragonfly out the air with a walking stick. Can't say it was a good thing, exactly, but it was a pretty good hit regardless. Not sure if I'd be able to do it again even if I tried.

it got bug sticked lol

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: August 24, 2022, 01:06:47 am »

BUGDOME, TWO BUGS ENTER, ONE BUG LEAVES!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: August 24, 2022, 05:38:43 pm »

Best tool for wasp killing I've found is whatever happens to be nearby at the time.

The coolest way I've killed a flying wasp was with a machete.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that a decently strong soap solution is a good wasp killer. However, someone who knows about this sort of thing might want to check\correct me on this, as I am far from  an authority on anything with legs and wings.
This is a blank sig.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: August 24, 2022, 05:58:43 pm »

Soap in general kills most bugs, iirc. Something about the way it interacts with how they generally breath suffocates them pretty easily.

... in fairness, most things wouldn't react well to their breathing parts being covered in an equivalent amount of the stuff, so, y'know. You try coating your lungs in bleach or whatev' and seeing how well it turns out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: August 25, 2022, 12:00:47 am »

This always seemed like a good trap to me:

https://youtu.be/7FhifTGKtUQ

Basically some chicken fixed to a board, hung over a tub of soapy water juuust right such that the Yellow Jackets will try to pick at the meat, but accidentally fall into the soapy water and then they can't fly back out due to the lack of surface tension. I'm just not sure if hornets and yellow jackets are similar enough to be snared by the same trap, but I'd imagine so.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: August 25, 2022, 01:00:35 am »

Got me a letter telling me to mow my grass by Monday or I’ll be fined, and they’ll do it for me and charge me for the privilege in addition to the fine. This leads me to believe this was reported by a neighbour. All the more reason to not engage with them, I suppose.

Looked at the local statute governing this particular thing, some nonsense about not allowing or pollinating grasses, weeds, or brush that could cause hayfever, emit noxious fumes, or allow a place to hide rubbish… all of which doesn’t apply to the nice plants in everybody’s garden that do the same thing, and probably make the relative contribution by grasses, weeds, and brush negligible by their presence.

My lawnmower’s fucked, not really sure if I can afford a new one, and I can’t be bothered doing this pointlessness at the best of times, and given all the shit in my plate as it is, these are not the best of times.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: August 25, 2022, 01:03:46 am »

Fucking HOA, I assume?  Greedy busybodies only care about their property values.
This always seemed like a good trap to me:

https://youtu.be/7FhifTGKtUQ

Basically some chicken fixed to a board, hung over a tub of soapy water juuust right such that the Yellow Jackets will try to pick at the meat, but accidentally fall into the soapy water and then they can't fly back out due to the lack of surface tension. I'm just not sure if hornets and yellow jackets are similar enough to be snared by the same trap, but I'd imagine so.
Damn.  Cold but effective. 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: August 25, 2022, 01:08:32 am »

No, just city ordnance nonsense.

There’s apparently somebody called the weed commissioner whose job it is to deal with this particular statute.

A misleading title, if ever there was one.

I am considering mass reporting properties at random just to overwhelm them/their department, utterly asinine waste of time and money that it appears to be.

Edit: it’s in the health and sanitation section of the statue, man. It really is pointless!

Edit 2: City ordinance, because apparently words are stupid too.

Edit 3: the only nice thing I want in my yard, a nice wee thistle, is considered a noxious weed so I have to deal with that. As a Scotsman, I am somewhat furious, but that could also be the sleep deprivation.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 01:39:19 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: August 25, 2022, 03:18:17 am »

Shit like that is the reason I've always been of the opinion that living in a town or city is terrible.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: August 25, 2022, 03:54:19 am »

the weed commissioner  8)

well well well *puff* someone has been neglecting their mowing *puff*

if only he was some sort of super hero that went around repairing lawnmowers to protect the upstanding citizen of dangerous pollen... imagine a super hero who's motto is "give a man a fish feed him one day, teach him to fish feed him for life", just offering dissapointing advice and carrying around a lot of tools (and a fishing rod or two for good measure tho he's kinda sad he never got to use them)
let

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: August 25, 2022, 07:21:28 am »

Soap in general kills most bugs, iirc. Something about the way it interacts with how they generally breath suffocates them pretty easily.

... in fairness, most things wouldn't react well to their breathing parts being covered in an equivalent amount of the stuff, so, y'know. You try coating your lungs in bleach or whatev' and seeing how well it turns out.
I think it's also to do with their cuticle getting destroyed by that sort of thing leaving them prone to drying out.

Honestly it's a small mercy that insects are basically as intelligent as robots considering the stuff we do to them. Diatomaceous earth kills them by shredding them and, again, they dry out.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: August 25, 2022, 09:16:45 am »

Bug murder
I once killed a mosquito by pinching it between my index and middle fingers. In mid-air.

...would've been a lot cooler if I'd done so intentionally, but I was doing guard duty with a buddy of mine so we were just shooting the shit trying to stave off boredom, and I was talking with my hands as I'm wont to do.

And then I noticed I'd managed to catch something.

After that, I made it a point to try and pluck the bastards out of the air using just my fingers. Ended up keeping a tally on the wall next to my bunk, a tally marked using the crushed bodies of the victims as I smeared them against the plaster. Managed to get up to 9 of them before we were discharged at the end of the year.

...kids, this is your brain on army. Not even once.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: August 25, 2022, 10:21:21 am »

Depending on where you live, they do that for you!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10318 on: August 26, 2022, 11:44:54 am »

I'm on a park with terrible mobile reception, so my phone is unable to send all the superflouus metadata, lesser sites keep spying out of us... So I will react here:

"LPT: cut your pizza on the cardboard so you dont have to wash a cutting board."

Scratch some good old fiber that has been around the world 3 times into your meal, make the carboard unrecybable, because you're too stupid to cut a pizza on plate.

16k upvotes

Sometimes the most anodine things trigger an intense sense of despair in me.
let

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: August 26, 2022, 11:46:52 am »

They wouldn’t be able to recycle the cardboard anyway ‘cause of all the grease from the pizza.

Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 779