Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 795

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 1127170 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9105 on: July 20, 2021, 05:01:13 pm »

I'm still just having a rough time at my new job. I have so many functions to my job, and not nearly enough training to have them all memorized, that I'm just dropping the ball hard all the time. Example:

I got a guy calling in saying his basement is flooding and needs his power on (I work at a power company) and I'm looking at his stats and he SHOULD be on. Everything is saying he should be turned on, but he's... just not turned on. He REALLY REALLY NEEDS THIS POWER RIGHT THIS SECOND TO TURN THIS PUMP ON CAUSE SHIT IS FLOODING AND OH GOD THE WATER IS RISING DO SOMETHING NOWWW!!!!... and I'm turning my system upside-down, going over it as fast as I humanly can, looking for why the fuck his power is not on. He hung up on me, because of course he did he was literally hauling buckets of water out of his basement as he was talking to me, and the only thing I could think to do was to ask a superior to ping his meter and confirm why the fuck it's turned off. I feel really bad for this guy, he had the misfortune of randomly calling me out of everyone he could have talked to; and I couldn't just get a hold of a supervisor, the sups have to be emailed and they'll get around to whatever the fuck you need them for when they're not busy, and that could be literally any amount of time.

I hope his power got turned back on and got that pump going. He was having a worse day than me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 05:02:49 pm by JoshuaFH »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9106 on: July 20, 2021, 07:52:54 pm »

I'm still just having a rough time at my new job. I have so many functions to my job, and not nearly enough training to have them all memorized, that I'm just dropping the ball hard all the time. Example:

I got a guy calling in saying his basement is flooding and needs his power on (I work at a power company) and I'm looking at his stats and he SHOULD be on. Everything is saying he should be turned on, but he's... just not turned on. He REALLY REALLY NEEDS THIS POWER RIGHT THIS SECOND TO TURN THIS PUMP ON CAUSE SHIT IS FLOODING AND OH GOD THE WATER IS RISING DO SOMETHING NOWWW!!!!... and I'm turning my system upside-down, going over it as fast as I humanly can, looking for why the fuck his power is not on. He hung up on me, because of course he did he was literally hauling buckets of water out of his basement as he was talking to me, and the only thing I could think to do was to ask a superior to ping his meter and confirm why the fuck it's turned off. I feel really bad for this guy, he had the misfortune of randomly calling me out of everyone he could have talked to; and I couldn't just get a hold of a supervisor, the sups have to be emailed and they'll get around to whatever the fuck you need them for when they're not busy, and that could be literally any amount of time.

I hope his power got turned back on and got that pump going. He was having a worse day than me.

Hopefully he just had a blown fuse or something.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9107 on: July 20, 2021, 08:47:51 pm »

I thought of that. Didn't work.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9108 on: July 20, 2021, 09:11:03 pm »

Well, you did your part, gears in the machine with teeth in the right place and all, and elevated the problem to management or superiors as appropriate for emergencies outside your capacity, so it's really up to the people with more responsibility than you to field that issue. You did your part and you were there to help.

Let's hope his basement is no longer flooded, eh.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9109 on: July 21, 2021, 10:04:55 pm »

Migrating about 100 gigs of customer data between servers, and I didn't set up the export correctly. So what should have taken 3 or so hours is now taking around 12? (it's still not done), and the data still has to be transferred over to the new server as well. So the business is going to be down for several hours/the day tomorrow.

What's got me even more annoyed at myself is I had a method for doing this last time that was faster, but in my nervousness I went with the "safer" but much, much slower method. It was basically a dumb oversight on my part.

Also kind of annoyed that the IT company hosting this data refused to open a connection to the new space it's going to live. I could have done this all with a point to point server connection. Still would have taken awhile, but wouldn't have involved dumping all the data to a file, transferring that file, then importing it as well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #9110 on: July 22, 2021, 08:19:35 am »

I read through some of my old posts... I was, too opinionated and argumentative. Mildly upset that I started shit. At least I improved.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9111 on: July 22, 2021, 11:55:29 am »

That’s good. I haven’t checked older posts, but I think I improved too. I hope so

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9112 on: July 22, 2021, 12:30:37 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:12:47 am by dragdeler »
let

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9113 on: July 22, 2021, 11:02:59 pm »

I lowered my SSRI dosage One Notch and have been mildly nauseated all day :(

This is The Way and soooo much better (at least so far) than the last notch I decremented, but man. I'm starting to feel teary, too.

It's OK . . . deep breath in, deep breath out . . .
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #9114 on: July 23, 2021, 06:54:15 am »

Get ready for another story!

Today, I, was at a real life chess tournament (30 minute, no increment). Won some games, lost some games (even GM Bilguun Sumiya showed up and of course crushed me). Then, it was nearing to an end and my final game was with some girl-- she looked, like, 14 at most but was very capable, it was an even and nervous game. We were in the early endgame, time was running low for both of us, she thought until she had 1 minute left (I had around 1 minute too) and I, Tbh, was sweating and nervous. She picked up her queen to move it and I thought, that it was the king so I thought she made an illegal move and said "wait, you can only move your king one square at a time!" and then she got confused and lost on time.
I took 6th place out of 14 at the end. Now I feel kinda bad for accidentally distracting her, she could have won. I did get a cash prize but it felt a bit cheaty. I apologized to her after the game, though. But, still feel like an asshole.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9115 on: July 23, 2021, 09:54:45 am »

Get ready for another story!

Today, I, was at a real life chess tournament (30 minute, no increment). Won some games, lost some games (even GM Bilguun Sumiya showed up and of course crushed me). Then, it was nearing to an end and my final game was with some girl-- she looked, like, 14 at most but was very capable, it was an even and nervous game. We were in the early endgame, time was running low for both of us, she thought until she had 1 minute left (I had around 1 minute too) and I, Tbh, was sweating and nervous. She picked up her queen to move it and I thought, that it was the king so I thought she made an illegal move and said "wait, you can only move your king one square at a time!" and then she got confused and lost on time.
I took 6th place out of 14 at the end. Now I feel kinda bad for accidentally distracting her, she could have won. I did get a cash prize but it felt a bit cheaty. I apologized to her after the game, though. But, still feel like an asshole.

It was an honest mistake and you apologized for it. I understand the feeling, but you did the best you could in the situation, and you should allow your conscience to repair.

Next time, avoid such close calls by employing this effective but little-known chess tactic

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9116 on: July 23, 2021, 05:57:45 pm »

bloviating

bloviating

bloviating

the word that is stuck in my head

is bloviating

just rattling around like a loose screw

bloviating

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9117 on: July 23, 2021, 06:55:08 pm »

bloviating
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9118 on: July 23, 2021, 07:18:26 pm »

It’s a real word, just looked it up
According to Google:
blo·vi·ate
/ˈblōvēˌāt/
talk at length, especially in an inflated or empty way.

Other find used to indicate what was copied from Google, removed non defininition elements, kept pronunciation. I hope I don’t bioviate too often

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9119 on: July 23, 2021, 09:07:03 pm »

b l o v i a t i n                                      g
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 795