Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 795

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 1127362 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8985 on: June 13, 2021, 05:19:43 am »

Marketing. Convince a bunch of fools that they need a fancy phone with fancy features that are "unique", and they'll lap it up. That's the only way Apple has market share; they have to convince people that their stuff is better than the other guys'.

It's kinda a problem with the entire smartphone industry, actually. Last time I checked, people talk shit about Qualcomm (one of many manufacturers of Android phone processors) for having the slower processor compared to Apple's, but we're literally at a stage where none of that shit matters anymore. Like, who the hell cares? Both can do 60+ FPS in any game you can throw at it, and considering that all phones run in always-on VSync, it's not like it matters if you can get more than that.

Tell me, what percent of people who buy the latest and greatest S30+ Ultra or iPhone 14 Pro Max++ actually use their CPUs (to be pedantic: SoC, not CPU) to the max anyway? I've not noticed much of a difference between my current $150 phone and a $500 one. I'm not kidding. Everything's already optimized for the lowest common denominator, because optimizing for those also ends up optimizing for battery life. Maybe gaming, but it's a moot point when literally everyone wants the best one despite not having any intentions of running games on the things anyway.

The things people do on phones do not warrant a top-of-the-line CPU anymore. Maybe a nice (set of) camera(s) and a nice OLED display, but CPU has long since stopped mattering on the high-end, the $500+ range. Not even the mid-range, and I think the low-end side of the market's catching up. Literally anything released recently with 4 GB of RAM is already good enough as far as I'm concerned, though the cameras aren't the greatest if you're going for lowest price. Aim higher if you care about that, and do your research.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8986 on: June 13, 2021, 05:29:22 am »

I thought one of the main reasons people bought Apple was for bragging/superiority.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8987 on: June 13, 2021, 06:19:10 am »

Exactly. That's the thing with marketing. It makes people think that some phones/computers are better than others, despite having more-or-less the same functionality. Less functionality, if we're talking about Apple. People tend to buy the things for perceived clout and fame, rather than on any actual merit of their own.

Apple has mastered abnormal demand; the higher the price, the higher the demand. That's because their stuff are status symbols/luxury items and therefore don't follow the Law of Demand. It's a Veblen good, if not snob appeal. Their marketing claim (even if they don't say it outright) is that if you buy their products, you'll be part of an exclusive and elite club of Apple owners.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 06:22:45 am by methylatedspirit »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8988 on: June 13, 2021, 11:05:52 am »

Personally, I bought a refurbished iPhone that is now ... more than 5 major models before the current one ... because I didn't want to get in bed with Google. I would love a third option.

No way I would have paid full price for one of these things tho.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8989 on: June 13, 2021, 12:53:06 pm »

Apple is trying to sell a lifestyle.

Microsoft is trying to sell tech.

Google and Facebook are trying to control information.

Linux is trying to "sell" idealism.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8990 on: June 14, 2021, 05:50:21 am »

The latest windows 10 update installed Microsoft News in my taskbar.
Hey. I didn't ask for that.

Ah well at least I can turn it off.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8991 on: June 14, 2021, 02:48:13 pm »

Eh I’ll be giving the forum a miss for a while, I think.

A bad thing happened on the mafia forum a few months back and I lost respect for a lot of people as a result, not least myself for not challenging it harder, and beyond that it seems every time I come here I leave it in a bad mood worse mood than when I came.

Few of you will care, just letting y’all know in case someone worries or something. *shrug*
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8992 on: June 14, 2021, 03:00:21 pm »

Well I ain't in the mafia thread, and I don't plan on checking, but I think you'll be missed. Take care, ta ta for now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8993 on: June 14, 2021, 03:05:48 pm »

A bad thing happened on the mafia forum a few months back and I lost respect for a lot of people as a result, not least myself for not challenging it harder, and beyond that it seems every time I come here I leave it in a bad mood worse mood than when I came.

Few of you will care, just letting y’all know in case someone worries or something. *shrug*

I'll certainly miss you Hector. You were involved in almost every mafia game that I played. It's heartbreaking to hear that something could have happened here to make you want to leave. I've been absent from there for quite a while.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 03:08:19 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8994 on: June 14, 2021, 03:07:20 pm »

Yeah, I'd miss hec, probably. Least a little.

If the forum's making your day worse, though, it's definitely time to take a break, at the absolute minimum from whatever part of the forum's causing it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: June 14, 2021, 04:01:41 pm »

This just goes to show you should never accidentally a whole mafia in a bottle.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #8996 on: June 14, 2021, 04:28:33 pm »

Sounds like someone is trying to hide from the mafia  :o
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: June 14, 2021, 05:36:47 pm »

What! I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope I wasn't the cause
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8998 on: June 14, 2021, 05:45:13 pm »

Shit, sorry to see you go, Hector. Much as I'd wish the Wisconsin Goodbye on you to keep chatting, you know what's good for your health.

You know where to find us if/when you come back, yeh?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8999 on: June 14, 2021, 06:35:04 pm »

What the heck happened in the Mafia subforum?
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 795