Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 794

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 1120911 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8490 on: January 07, 2021, 06:04:54 pm »

So's Facebook, harumph.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8491 on: January 07, 2021, 06:22:47 pm »

Ah the good old days of Discovery and Nat Geo where you watched shit to learn and not watch garbage 'reality' shows.
I miss when Animal Planet played educational shows about non human animals, like the Best 10 of some trait, or Monsters Inside Me

Member when the History channel was the Hitler and related topics channel and not the pawn shop extreme fishlogtrucker aliens channel?

Guys. Guys.

MTV used to play music.
This is a blank sig.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8492 on: January 08, 2021, 01:57:55 am »

I think my dad actually worked on Flash at some point in his career.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8493 on: January 08, 2021, 04:37:12 am »

Ah the good old days of Discovery and Nat Geo where you watched shit to learn and not watch garbage 'reality' shows.
I miss when Animal Planet played educational shows about non human animals, like the Best 10 of some trait, or Monsters Inside Me

Member when the History channel was the Hitler and related topics channel and not the pawn shop extreme fishlogtrucker aliens channel?

Guys. Guys.

MTV used to play music.
Ah yes the days when channels played things related to what they were supposed to be about, how I miss them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8494 on: January 08, 2021, 07:09:24 am »

Um.  Someone asked why I hate Kitchen Nightmares and Gordon Ramsay, and what I wrote isn't appropriate for the dream thread, so here:

The "drama" and straight up screaming arguments seem manufactured.  A lot of these restaurants have very, VERY serious sanitation issues - I like that the show exposes that - but I just don't "buy" the rest.
That's because it is manufactured & fake. Growing up on UK and Malaysian Gordon Ramsay appearances I always knew him as a stoic cuisine expert who was an ambassador for Britain, a kind teacher, conservationist and a genuine good soul. When I found out about his American personality I was laffin

Ramsay almost spends the first part of the show ordering several things and taking a bite out of each, or just poking them around, and making complaints that I have no reason to believe.  My brother says there are exceptions, but to me it seems oddly convenient that EVERY SINGLE THING he eats, he hates.  Sometimes there are concrete complaints about consistency, but usually he just calls it "bad" or "the worst ever".  Or "realizes" that it's frozen, something he obviously would know going in.  It's all performative, and it seems like remarkably lazy food criticism.  I'm not learning anything about flavor profiles by him calling it bad/disgusting/gross/dog poo.  Even unfresh, oversalted, or greasy are grade school judgements - and largely subjective!
Every US Gordon Ramsay show:

[1] Face angle interview of restaurant owner/head chef: Oh boy I just know Ramsay is going to love my food
[2] Reaction shot of staff member looking nervous
 [ EXCITING MUSIC ]
[3] Canteen shot of head chef saying Gordon's gonna love my food
 [ SNARE DRUMS PLAY ]
[4] Shot of nervous staff member talking to bemused Gordon about odd menu choices
 [ COW MOOING ]
[5] Face angle interview of nervous staff member saying: "Gordon's gonna hate this"
 [ TENSE MUSIC PLAYS ]
[6] Gordon eating food: I hate this
 [ SNARE DRUMS ROLL ]
[7] Nervous staff: Oh boy I knew he was gonna hate this
 [ DEEP DRUMS PLAY ]
[8] Nervous staff (to chef): Gordon hates this
 [ CONFRONTATIONAL MUSIC PLAYS ]
[9] Head chef: He hates this?
 [ TRUMPETS BLARE ]
[10] Face to face interview with head chef: Oh my god when Gordon said he hates this I was gonna flip
 [ TOOT TOOT ]
[11] Head chef: flips
[12] Gordon: I hate this

Watch any of the UK versions. The editing is slower and Gordon acts natural, whether it's cooking, business help or whatever. Even his YT channel cooking vods show him being a normal bean

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #8495 on: January 08, 2021, 08:24:13 am »

The vast majority of renovated Kitchen Nightmare restaurants ended up going out of business shortly after anyway
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8496 on: January 08, 2021, 08:42:41 am »

It seems that trying to induce generational loss by going RAW image -> WAV -> BRR (Bit Rate Reduction, the SNES's SPC's native sound format) then BRR -> WAV over and over and over doesn't produce very interesting results. I think the curve of generational-loss-induced-corruption against number of iterations is logarithmic at best; it grows at a rate that gets closer and closer to zero the further you go. All I'm getting is 1-pixel-wide streaks of red, green, or blue. Did I mention that the way I'm doing this is inherently serial, since to get iteration N + 1, you need iteration N first?

Maybe it would work better if I tried much noisier images. Like, literal-white-noise noisy. Maybe then I'd get something funny.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8497 on: January 08, 2021, 12:14:49 pm »

[1] Face angle interview of restaurant owner/head chef: Oh boy I just know Ramsay is going to love my food
[2] Reaction shot of staff member looking nervous
 [ EXCITING MUSIC ]
[3] Canteen shot of head chef saying Gordon's gonna love my food
 [ SNARE DRUMS PLAY ]
[4] Shot of nervous staff member talking to bemused Gordon about odd menu choices
 [ COW MOOING ]
[5] Face angle interview of nervous staff member saying: "Gordon's gonna hate this"
 [ TENSE MUSIC PLAYS ]
[6] Gordon eating food: I hate this
 [ SNARE DRUMS ROLL ]
[7] Nervous staff: Oh boy I knew he was gonna hate this
 [ DEEP DRUMS PLAY ]
[8] Nervous staff (to chef): Gordon hates this
 [ CONFRONTATIONAL MUSIC PLAYS ]
[9] Head chef: He hates this?
 [ TRUMPETS BLARE ]
[10] Face to face interview with head chef: Oh my god when Gordon said he hates this I was gonna flip
 [ TOOT TOOT ]
[11] Head chef: flips
[12] Gordon: I hate this

Watch any of the UK versions. The editing is slower and Gordon acts natural, whether it's cooking, business help or whatever. Even his YT channel cooking vods show him being a normal bean
Hehe.  I'm starting to think my actual problem is with American-style reality TV, which I've been pretty sheltered from.  Seems a lot of people are desensitized to it.  I remember seeing a couple of episodes of Undercover Boss and getting even more upset over them.

Sorry for accusing Ramsay personally like that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8498 on: January 09, 2021, 06:14:32 am »

Reality TV is terrible.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8499 on: January 09, 2021, 02:02:43 pm »

Ramsay seems like just a super cool high-level chef dude with a talent for acting like a hilarious crazy person for US TV.

Check out any of his other shows, or even his lil' cooking youtube channel.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8500 on: January 10, 2021, 01:06:42 am »

TPOT 1 should've been released already. Come on, I want to see my favourite character again!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8501 on: January 11, 2021, 03:06:03 pm »

I misread my schedule and thought one of my classes was at 2 today, turns out it started at 12 and ended at 1:30
It was a Zoom class. I emailed my professor about it already, I just feel both upset that I missed it and stupid for not checking the schedule to make sure my memory was correct

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8502 on: January 11, 2021, 06:58:40 pm »

I misread my schedule and thought one of my classes was at 2 today, turns out it started at 12 and ended at 1:30
It was a Zoom class. I emailed my professor about it already, I just feel both upset that I missed it and stupid for not checking the schedule to make sure my memory was correct

I remember forgetting the first day of a lab I had. My excuse was that I lost track of time reading the news.

Now, classes start in September, and this was several years ago, but my excuse worked well because of something about some planes crashing. I looked it up when I got back to my dorm.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8503 on: January 11, 2021, 08:35:39 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:26:48 pm by dragdeler »
let

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8504 on: January 11, 2021, 09:09:50 pm »

hmmmmmm

So I'm looking for people's opinions of the best way to try to 'mock' invest in the stock market.  I don't have a particular market in mind, just 'the market'.  Something I can dip my toe into, or just track a few stocks to build up some confidence in my choices when I do invest.

Any ideas?  The internet seems to not be of too much use - just provides me with information over-saturation.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 794