Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859021 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7920 on: July 27, 2020, 07:29:40 am »

Same story for Tibet, and likely what is in the future for Taiwan (if China gets its way), and for Hong Kong.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: July 27, 2020, 08:19:41 am »

Well probably not. AFAIK Taiwan is culturally not separate. They regard themselves as Chinese. Hong Kong... maybe? But I dont think so. It´s just too valuable to ruin like that. Odds are they´ll agree to a compromise
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: July 27, 2020, 08:46:14 am »

Ugh, today seems like a shitty day in making, no particular reason for it to be like that, nothing particularly shitty happened so far. But I feel like I'm circling that drain of horrible thoughts and I'm kinda too tired from work to simply stop myself every time I notice it (or hell to even notice it in time). To make matters worse I'm kinda too drained to actually busy myself with something productive, or hell anything just to occupy me until I fall asleep.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: July 27, 2020, 09:04:59 am »

Well probably not. AFAIK Taiwan is culturally not separate. They regard themselves as Chinese.
This is quite wrong. If anything Taiwan takes more culturally from the Japanese
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: July 27, 2020, 10:58:38 am »

There are at least three different layers of Taiwanese. Firstly, the original indigenous people(s). Then the original Chinese colonists from when it was originally colonised in... 16th or 17th century iirc. And then lastly the exiles and refugees from modern times. I also believe that the latter two largely see themselves as Han, even if they don't consider themselves "Chinese" Chinese. But I am simply going by what I've read about them.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: July 27, 2020, 11:06:34 am »

Well probably not. AFAIK Taiwan is culturally not separate. They regard themselves as Chinese.
This is quite wrong. If anything Taiwan takes more culturally from the Japanese
That explains why they called themselves 'The Republic of Japan', right?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: July 27, 2020, 11:32:34 am »

There are at least three different layers of Taiwanese. Firstly, the original indigenous people(s). Then the original Chinese colonists from when it was originally colonised in... 16th or 17th century iirc. And then lastly the exiles and refugees from modern times. I also believe that the latter two largely see themselves as Han, even if they don't consider themselves "Chinese" Chinese. But I am simply going by what I've read about them.
This sounds right to me, and handily explains why the government would call itself the Republic of China regardless of the ethnicities it governs.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: July 27, 2020, 12:03:18 pm »

That explains why they called themselves 'The Republic of Japan', right?
Taiwan was literally a colony of Japan. My grandmother self-identifies as Japanese specifically because she grew up in a Japanese controlled Taiwan.

And if you think Taiwan, governed by the democratic KMT would emulated the culture of Communist China then you're stupider than I thought.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: July 27, 2020, 12:36:30 pm »

I would feel offended but I can't be bothered.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: July 27, 2020, 12:38:07 pm »

Yes! YES! Let the mild irritation flow through you!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: July 27, 2020, 01:07:43 pm »

You underestimate the power of the Beige Side.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: July 27, 2020, 07:20:42 pm »

I fat-fingered my legal name on a job application, and only discovered in when I read the confirmation email. Guess we can chuck 'attention to detail' out the window, eh.
Idea for future avoidance of fat fingering

If home row doesn’t work, or if you’re using a touch screen, use your pinky instead of your index finger, as the pinky is thinner than your index finger. It will take some getting used to, the new hand orientation, test various pinky chicken peck orientations on touch screen and find the one most comfortable for you. The reason to use pinky finger is because it’s the thinnest finger on your body, and is thus the least susceptible to fat fingering. I hope this helps.

As for mild upset, a very persistent upsetting thought, is that the only way to meaningfully change the world is with power, and often the methods of gaining power result in corruption of those who gain it, focusing on using their power to get more power rather than using that power to make a meaningful difference on the world

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: July 27, 2020, 09:49:47 pm »

Attontion to dertail

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: July 28, 2020, 07:22:58 am »

I fat-fingered my legal name on a job application, and only discovered in when I read the confirmation email.
At least you didn’t fat finger something that involved money.
Like taxes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: July 28, 2020, 07:28:05 am »

I dont get this sudden forum obsession about the sex life of overweight women.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 779