Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859201 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7545 on: June 06, 2020, 12:07:17 pm »

It's not a derail, I was just trying to understand what you're actually after. It's like asking "what does 'flurb' mean to you?" Like any nonsense syllable we can always Google it and find out "huh, I guess it means that" because someone at some point would have used it. But it's not a particularly enlightening venture.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 12:09:11 pm by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: June 06, 2020, 12:16:00 pm »

Yes, I worded things horribly. I wanted to know what you meant when you used the word in your quote. What it meant when you used it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: June 06, 2020, 04:19:43 pm »

That was Yoink btw, who is also Australian so he meant the Urban Dictionary meaning.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: June 06, 2020, 04:50:14 pm »

Yes. I need to look at usernames more often than I do

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: June 06, 2020, 07:06:13 pm »

Damn storm knocked out electricity to the block
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: June 07, 2020, 01:28:48 pm »

So my computer did a diagnostic thing and got a warning for one of my hard drives' SMART test.

Threesecond review on google seems to indicate this might mean my drive is failing.

Which would be awful.

I just had a computer bluescreen for the first time in years, maybe decades

Is this it? After restarting itself everything seems fine. But is it?
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: June 07, 2020, 02:00:31 pm »

So my computer did a diagnostic thing and got a warning for one of my hard drives' SMART test.

Threesecond review on google seems to indicate this might mean my drive is failing.

Which would be awful.

I just had a computer bluescreen for the first time in years, maybe decades

Is this it? After restarting itself everything seems fine. But is it?

Just be sensible and keep backups. Don't stress too much, but backup ASAP if you get any hardware faults. Bluescreen can totally be because of faulty hardware.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: June 07, 2020, 11:41:23 pm »

My cheap-ass hotdog roll fell in half when I tried to cut it.   
Admittedly, this didn't have as much of an impact on my enjoyment of my lunch as I'd initially expected, but still. I had to, like, concentrate on holding the two bits of bun together while I ate. And I couldn't go as nuts with sauce on that hotdog! Actually I made sure to use barbecue sauce on that one, and tomato on the other - since I generally have a somewhat smaller amount of barbecue sauce on the same amount of food and as such it is less messy.       
Both still had mustard, of course.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: June 08, 2020, 11:44:29 am »

I cannot fucking sleep. I can't tell if it's because my brain's being really active tonight, or if it's me getting used to my medication. It's times like these where I wish I could turn off my brain and not have to deal with the million-step process of going to sleep. I've already taken a second dose of those meds, in the hopes that I'll be granted the privilege of sleeping if I kill my brain further.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: June 08, 2020, 11:48:24 am »

I have this problem too, what helps me, eventually, is daydreaming a long consistent story while in bed, eventually falling asleep during that. Or just try thinking about going to sleep, repetitively. Just continue imagining versions of yourself sleeping. It works eventually for me

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: June 08, 2020, 12:41:48 pm »

When I can't sleep, sometimes I try to solve math problems that are too hard to do in my head.  It doesn't have be be complicated, just something like long-division of numbers too big to solve without paper & pencil. Sometimes it works and I fall asleep in the middle of the problem.

Counting sheep, while very quaint, can actually work also.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... Franηois D.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: June 08, 2020, 01:09:26 pm »

That helps for me too sometimes.  Focusing inward on some complicated but unimportant puzzle, like a layout of Minecraft machines or a programming optimization.  I think the state-based memory gives me the state of mind I need to fall asleep.

Occasional side effects may include recurring feverish dreams of solving puzzles in search of rest, waking to a replenished body and exhausted mind.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: June 09, 2020, 12:11:09 pm »

I happen to live a fair ways out from the nearest town, and I have no drivers license. Being 1 hours walking distance away from civilization is a constant source of frustration I assure you. The road to get over there sees a fair amount of traffic as well and there is no other path to get there, so if you’re going to ride a bicycle I hope you are willing to risk life and limb to do so. The ground next to the road is also quite narrow and the aforementioned traffic makes walking annoying as well. This is no relaxing stroll I hope you understand.

There’s not much to do about it except to try and get that drivers license. But even if I get it it’ll still be half a year before I can upgrade it and be permitted to drive alone. Annoying.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: June 09, 2020, 01:04:53 pm »

Would it be possible to buy lots of those flat stones and place them along the road? Like a secondary road for bikes?

Code: ( - = original road, + = secondary road of flat stones you place) [Select]
———————————————————-
+
++++++++++++++++++++
That way you can bike on the secondary road
If this turns out to be illegal, don’t do it, obviously, but just a thought

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: June 09, 2020, 01:21:14 pm »

Would it be possible to buy lots of those flat stones and place them along the road? Like a secondary road for bikes?

Code: ( - = original road, + = secondary road of flat stones you place) [Select]
———————————————————-
+
++++++++++++++++++++
That way you can bike on the secondary road
If this turns out to be illegal, don’t do it, obviously, but just a thought
Probably not, even if I had the means to do so. I forgot to mention but this is New Zealand, meaning lots of farmland. So you have the road, the narrow space between the road and the ditch (many of these stones would in fact be tilted as it's something of a slope at times.), and then private property on the other side of the ditch. And yeah I think it might be illegal. You're not allowed to ride a bicycle on the pavement (footpath?) unless you're a mail carrier anywho, though that might not apply to random stones placed on the ground.

Could be worse though. Were I facing similar conditions in Australia I might have had to add the risk of getting kicked by a kangaroo to the list of inconveniences.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 04:16:52 pm by Fire and Glory »
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 779