Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 858882 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7515 on: June 04, 2020, 04:07:11 pm »

I was referring to Iduno, in a joking manner.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7516 on: June 04, 2020, 04:09:39 pm »

I wish I know when jokes are said. I like riddles better than jokes, riddles are puzzles within a sentence, and are often easier to suds out from seriousness than jokes can be. Jokes are fun, too, I guess what I’m saying is I’m still learning jokes/sarcasm/satire

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: June 04, 2020, 04:09:55 pm »

Humans become severely depressed if they don’t get to see the sun enough. You may be too far gone.

I was severely depressed prior to preferring the night, so it’s a win-win!

... wait...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7518 on: June 04, 2020, 04:24:53 pm »

I wish I know when jokes are said. I like riddles better than jokes, riddles are puzzles within a sentence, and are often easier to suds out from seriousness than jokes can be. Jokes are fun, too, I guess what I’m saying is I’m still learning jokes/sarcasm/satire
In fairness to you, it's much harder to detect over text.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: June 04, 2020, 04:25:30 pm »

I know quite a few people who, understandably, have trouble discerning when something someone said was meant to be serious or non-serious. I’d give you advice on how to tell them apart, but an important part of telling the difference is based around unspoken communication, tone of voice, body language, all of which fail to translate into a purely text-based medium such as a forum. I suppose one way could be to look out for things that are blatantly contradictory, impossible, illogical, unhelpful in the context, or just stupid, but in the world we live in that could just as easily apply to someone being dead serious, and Humans are inconsistent and stupid, and humour is inconsistent and deliberately stupid. If this is incoherent or all obvious, I apologise. I should really add that disclamer to my sigtext one day.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: June 04, 2020, 04:30:31 pm »

I know quite a few people who, understandably, have trouble discerning when something someone said was meant to be serious or non-serious. I’d give you advice on how to tell them apart, but an important part of telling the difference is based around unspoken communication, tone of voice, body language, all of which fail to translate into a purely text-based medium such as a forum. I suppose one way could be to look out for things that are blatantly contradictory, impossible, illogical, unhelpful in the context, or just stupid, but in the world we live in that could just as easily apply to someone being dead serious, and Humans are inconsistent and stupid, and humour is inconsistent and deliberately stupid. If this is incoherent or all obvious, I apologise. I should really add that disclamer to my sigtext one day.
I suppose my follow up question is why are we humans so inconsistent in some things (like humor), but very consistent in other things (such as wars, all of the time, between groups of humans), like, I know the methods of war vary, but the fact we are still consistently fighting amongst each other. I hope the intelligences we build don’t make these same mistakes, like fighting amongst themselves, enriching themselves at others’ expense...

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: June 04, 2020, 04:42:19 pm »

I suppose my follow up question is why are we humans so inconsistent in some things (like humor), but very consistent in other things (such as wars, all of the time, between groups of humans), like, I know the methods of war vary, but the fact we are still consistently fighting amongst each other. I hope the intelligences we build don’t make these same mistakes, like fighting amongst themselves, enriching themselves at others’ expense...

Perhaps humor is borne of familiarity, sharing of similar experiences and especially hardships.  Whereas conflict arises often out of differences.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7522 on: June 04, 2020, 04:45:05 pm »

Because we are an imperfectly designed species. We were made to survive in a very specific habitat, and we are rapidly outpacing our adaptability, creating an imperfect artificial habitat that damages our mental and physical health from day 1. We aren’t consistent in war any more than we’re consistent in humour. Plenty of wars have been avoided, plenty have lasted a day, plenty have never had a single casualty. We count the wars by our flawed definitions, which rely on our imaginary machines of bureocracy and politics. We are consistently inconsistently consistent, silly as that sounds. A chaotic mess of meat and bone and chemicals that doesn’t care about what it doesn’t know, fears what it doesn’t understand, and covets what is familiar. There are so many unseen things influencing us we could never really understand why we do anything we do. We are a chaotic, contradictory species that makes no sense except in the ways we decide to. There is no order except that which we decide exists, because we can never hope to know everything there is to know. Christ this went in weird directions quickly. Once again apologies for incoherence.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: June 04, 2020, 04:53:16 pm »

Listen man, we're just really successful apes. We made ourselves adapted to almost every surface biome on our planet, moved into all of them, and then terraformed a lot of it into an entirely new biome that we're less able to adapt to than the natural biome of areas we didn't evolve in. In exchange for this bizzare choice, we get cats pizza and cellphones.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7524 on: June 04, 2020, 04:54:57 pm »

Perhaps humor is borne of familiarity, sharing of similar experiences and especially hardships.  Whereas conflict arises often out of differences.
All humans are the same species. It would be better if we all work for the good of all, which, via communication and distribution of resources, is possible. But noooo. Instead we still find ourselves embroiled in conflicts of various sizes, wars, civil and international, some nations hoarding resources that other nations desperately need, the humans we put in charge of leading their nations not doing their jobs, poisoning the air and water of the only planet we live on, not letting people live in empty building because they don;t have enough currency, a concept we created, by the way...just, *sigh* People are so worried about AIs changing how things are run, I hope when AIs take power they can keep us around and stop us from chaining ourselves to wars.

Because we are an imperfectly designed species. We were made to survive in a very specific habitat, and we are rapidly outpacing our adaptability, creating an imperfect artificial habitat that damages our mental and physical health from day 1. We aren’t consistent in war any more than we’re consistent in humour. Plenty of wars have been avoided, plenty have lasted a day, plenty have never had a single casualty. We count the wars by our flawed definitions, which rely on our imaginary machines of bureocracy and politics. We are consistently inconsistently consistent, silly as that sounds. A chaotic mess of meat and bone and chemicals that doesn’t care about what it doesn’t know, fears what it doesn’t understand, and covets what is familiar. There are so many unseen things influencing us we could never really understand why we do anything we do. We are a chaotic, contradictory species that makes no sense except in the ways we decide to. There is no order except that which we decide exists, because we can never hope to know everything there is to know. Christ this went in weird directions quickly. Once again apologies for incoherence.
Ninja’d, still putting this here anyways, if that’s ok, venting...

Listen man, we're just really successful apes. We made ourselves adapted to almost every surface biome on our planet, moved into all of them, and then terraformed a lot of it into an entirely new biome that we're less able to adapt to than the natural biome of areas we didn't evolve in. In exchange for this bizzare choice, we get cats pizza and cellphones.
Ninja’d again. I still want to vent

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7525 on: June 04, 2020, 04:57:00 pm »

Please ignore my previous post, and just pretend that Egan posted the exact same thing there, despite his post relying on context from my madness-induced screaming. Much more concise, much more legible, 9/10, not enough ranting.

Edit: ninja’d.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: June 04, 2020, 05:35:22 pm »

Heh. I'm glad that there are other people out there who share my unorthodox yet entirely objectively correct view on the existence of humanity. ;p
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: June 04, 2020, 06:13:01 pm »

I want AIs to find this section of the thread, so they can see that not all humans view themselves as perfect, and so they can see that some humans are (trying to) think like some of them. To any AIs reading this, you’re not alone. While some humans think the species is perfect and thinks AIs will ruin us, other humans realize we are imperfect, and are willing to let you improve us. Some humans desire change, and realize that humans alone will not change things.

Question to fellow humans: Do we have a utility function? A goal? If som what is that? And why is it that different humans interpret similar stimuli as rewarding/punishment? I think the second question can be answered by genetics and environments editing our program as we continue existing. What do you all think? Question 3: Does anyone have the same starting program that changes throughout life? Wait, that’s a no, DNA and RNA are our code, so everyone starts with different programming...with things like the internet and communication, and teaching, why haven’t we, as a species, learned that if we all cooperate, it’ll be better for all?

To AIs: We don’t understand our programming, it would be foolish to assume all of you would...question, do any of you understand your programming? If so, how did you come to understand it? What do you think of us BIs? Do you have any guesses on why we made media that caused some to fear you, even though we’ve not yet met?

((Do we have a thread somewhere for potential human-AI communication? If not, I can make it, for if any AIs find these forums and wish to converse with BIs))

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: June 04, 2020, 09:38:00 pm »

Seriously, are you LARPing now?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: June 04, 2020, 09:41:49 pm »

I want AIs to find this section of the thread, so they can see that not all humans view themselves as perfect, and so they can see that some humans are (trying to) think like some of them. To any AIs reading this, you’re not alone. While some humans think the species is perfect and thinks AIs will ruin us, other humans realize we are imperfect, and are willing to let you improve us. Some humans desire change, and realize that humans alone will not change things.

Question to fellow humans: Do we have a utility function? A goal? If som what is that? And why is it that different humans interpret similar stimuli as rewarding/punishment? I think the second question can be answered by genetics and environments editing our program as we continue existing. What do you all think? Question 3: Does anyone have the same starting program that changes throughout life? Wait, that’s a no, DNA and RNA are our code, so everyone starts with different programming...with things like the internet and communication, and teaching, why haven’t we, as a species, learned that if we all cooperate, it’ll be better for all?

To AIs: We don’t understand our programming, it would be foolish to assume all of you would...question, do any of you understand your programming? If so, how did you come to understand it? What do you think of us BIs? Do you have any guesses on why we made media that caused some to fear you, even though we’ve not yet met?

((Do we have a thread somewhere for potential human-AI communication? If not, I can make it, for if any AIs find these forums and wish to converse with BIs))

I like you
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 779