Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859217 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7185 on: March 27, 2020, 02:14:59 pm »

I know what happened.

I'm not sure how it's Meghan Markle's fault, other than the fact she's married to Harry, and Harry used her as an excuse to gtfo.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: March 27, 2020, 02:15:21 pm »

Meghan Markle is black?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: March 27, 2020, 02:21:07 pm »

You realize of course that if we change the word to something other than "homophobe", then I won't be able to use my stupid "I'm not actually a homophone, I just sound like one" joke anymore?

Well homophobia would still be a thing and bad, I'm not saying just change the name, I'm saying we should branch it for greater specificity. The joke (which, i would like to add, is totally awesome and not dumb at all :P ) would totally work still

Meghan Markle is black?

American not-one-drop racism is spreading

Stop exporting your racism, america
We're full
You're stealing jobs from honest hardworking European racism
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: March 27, 2020, 02:46:42 pm »

Meghan Markle is black?
Mixed race.

I know what happened.

I'm not sure how it's Meghan Markle's fault, other than the fact she's married to Harry, and Harry used her as an excuse to gtfo.

I don't think anyone but a very select few know the actual power dynamic.

The important point in my previous post concerned what the public "knows". She's not white. But no one really cares about that. What they do care about is her perceived influence on Harry, driving a wedge into the royal family and cheapening the name. These are the racists which she and Harry rail against.

Personally I think (don't know of course) that Harry is a right plonker. But if he wanted to leave the Royal family he wouldn't need Meghan to give him an excuse. I mean, most of the reasoning is "I don't like reporters and want to be independent". He doesn't need Meghan to pull off that excuse. It's attempting to milk old feelings for his mum, not new ones for his wife.
The plan - make the name a brand, do acting and voice narratives (such as Meghan's deal with Disney arranged through Harry) and go to live in Canada where Meghan lived while making Suits? Really, it all smacks of Meghan Markle's dream. To me. I don't know anything, and frankly don't care much. I was making an illustrative point concerning accusations of racism, when what the public thinks is anything but racist. They just happen to dislike someone who happens to be mixed race, for reasons based on something other than her skin colour. 'Racism' as in the case of 'homophobe' is being used to shut them up.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: March 27, 2020, 03:05:32 pm »

A conservative politician votes down a bill letting lesbians adopt children, citing the importance of the traditional family model in the raising of a child. He is a homophobe.

That is quite literally the basis of homophobia, the assumption that there's a significant difference between straight people and non-straight people, especially without years of studies and evidence. Any legal barriers between the treatment of straight and gay people is the exact stuff that the LGBT community have been struggling against for decades.

Same with the feminist, handicapped equality and racial equality movements. The point is that there should be no substantial difference in legal rights or opportunities to people regardless of any biological properties they were born with, be they sexuality, sex, gender, race or health.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: March 27, 2020, 03:09:32 pm »

I noticed I hadn't been getting much mail for a while, but it wasn't until I got a call from the cable company wanting to shut me off for non-payment that I noticed I haven't received any bills in over a month, which is making them more difficult to pay. All of the mailboxes at my apartments were open about a month ago, so I assume someone is stealing mail.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: March 27, 2020, 04:06:39 pm »

Personally I think (don't know of course) that Harry is a right plonker.

Really? I didn't see much negative press for Harry or Markle myself. Personally, if I were British, I would be enthusiastic about there suddenly being one less leech on the public payroll.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: March 27, 2020, 04:09:14 pm »

Really? I didn't see much negative press for Harry or Markle myself. Personally, if I were British, I would be enthusiastic about there suddenly being one less leech on the public payroll.

That's my stance on the matter. I was confused firstly that anyone cared they wanted to step away from royal duties, and then basically shrugged and thought, 'good for them.'
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: March 27, 2020, 05:55:54 pm »

Have a look at recent articles. The most recent, from an hour ago, talks about them moving to LA where Meghan's mum is, and also where they have a network of Hollywood agents. The title is that Meghan says she's glad to leave the claustrophobic UK behind and North America is where she wants to be. Another talks about her "forbidding" Harry to see his dad. What the media says, and how it's said, tells you a lot about what they think the readership expects. Though there is of course much banal gossiping. Like whether Meghan will win an Oscar for her disney work.

I'd hazard that the public don't care hugely about the money. They care about the snub, the rejection, the capitalist urge. And they care that the nation's darling is being led by the nose.

Also about the hypocrisy. In the aftermath, FB was flooded with pictures of the pair in front of council homes, caravans, etc. The royal pair realising their dream of being independent, if only in a ficticious meme.

A conservative politician votes down a bill letting lesbians adopt children, citing the importance of the traditional family model in the raising of a child. He is a homophobe.

That is quite literally the basis of homophobia, the assumption that there's a significant difference between straight people and non-straight people, especially without years of studies and evidence. Any legal barriers between the treatment of straight and gay people is the exact stuff that the LGBT community have been struggling against for decades.

Same with the feminist, handicapped equality and racial equality movements. The point is that there should be no substantial difference in legal rights or opportunities to people regardless of any biological properties they were born with, be they sexuality, sex, gender, race or health.
The politician is a problematic example. I won't pretend to know whether there is unanimous scientific agreement that lesbian relationships don't damage family values. But let's imagine there is, in which case the politician is likely motivated by disgust with homosexuality - making him a homophobe. The example given is of a man deeply concerned with family values, and barring misinformation he would act upon this committment. So a poor example. If, on the other hand, there WAS evidence that lesbian parentage damaged family values, his action, based on this information, would not be homophobia.

The priest is a better illustrative example. He will not perform a gay marriage because he has, as he perceives it, evidence that God would not want it. He may love homosexuals as he doth his neighbour, but he won't perform a marriage because he does not believe LGBT religious dogma that God wouldn't mind. He thinks God would.

I suppose my argument is that homophobia lies in the intent, not the action. A civil servant who refuses to give a pair a civil partnership is homophobic, because unlike the priest she has no reason to other than a dislike or prejudice towards gay people.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: March 27, 2020, 06:54:25 pm »

Harry's been a worthless little POS for years now. Honestly he deserves to be stripped of his title, 'tis just a pity they let him keep his life.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: March 27, 2020, 07:03:54 pm »

Harry's been a worthless little POS for years now. Honestly he deserves to be stripped of his title, 'tis just a pity they let him keep his life.   

Erm... could you clarify?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: March 28, 2020, 09:54:05 pm »

It's been zero days since somebody called me stupid for enjoying something harmless on the Internet.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: March 28, 2020, 10:51:43 pm »

They see you lollin
They hatin
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: March 29, 2020, 08:48:33 pm »

I woke up with my entire body cramped, which is a possible side effect of the meds I'm taking. I also woke up tired, which isn't a listed side effect, but I think it is. Then I went back to sleep, and now I'm more cramped and still tired.

If it weren't for the fact these things are the only leverage I have against myself when I do go a little unstable, I'd never be taking these things again.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: March 30, 2020, 08:13:07 am »

It's been zero days since somebody called me stupid for enjoying something harmless on the Internet.

That's stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 779