Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859116 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7155 on: March 25, 2020, 09:54:29 pm »

Heterophobia is absolutely a thing.  It's a response to a life of suffering homophobia.  The real situation is that people drop people who don't accept who you are.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7156 on: March 25, 2020, 11:14:23 pm »

Misandy exists
I can confirm, the condition of being intolerant of Andy is a thing. Seriously, fuck that guy.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7157 on: March 26, 2020, 02:44:16 am »

Heterophobia is absolutely a thing.  It's a response to a life of suffering homophobia.  The real situation is that people drop people who don't accept who you are.

I think it can be that, but there's also another factor:

an in-group who is all into the same stuff can get extremely arrogant about how the stuff they like is better than "normie" stuff. I know from being one of these kinds of people. It could be you're all into punk music, so punks are the music/fashion master-race to you, all others are inferior no-nothing normies who just don't get it. It could be metalheads, it could be sci-fi fans. It could be that you're all gamers, looking down on those normies who watch reality TV and like sports. Various forms of hipster-attitude basically, but it really pervades all walks of life.

So, I have no qualms in pointing out that if you have an all-LGBT in-group then people in that in-group almost certainly are prone to the same types of cognitive effects as other groups: a huge sense that you're in the "superior" group and everyone outside that group are inferior normie untermensch. Saying that it's a just a reaction to homophobia is a cop-out. A lot of people who are  "into <X thing>" think their thing is the master-race thing and that everyone else's thing is inferior, so I can't see how the gay scene would magically be immune to that sort of thing.

dickheads and arrogant people aren't restricted by sexuality or gender. People shouldn't be judged on gender race or sexuality, but that has to work both ways: we shouldn't judge or dismiss someone's actions based on those things but we shouldn't give them a free pass on bad behavior either.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 02:52:57 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: March 26, 2020, 04:03:41 am »

It could be that you're all gamers, looking down on those normies who watch reality TV and like sports.

"sportsball"

Also:
heterophobia.
Heterophobia

Can we please not. We should use -phobia for hate against gay people (or any other group) in the first place; can we make an effort to not keep the misuse going?
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7159 on: March 26, 2020, 04:14:22 am »

It is actually appropriate in specific cases though; "An irrational fear or aversion" definitely describes how some people react to gays/straights/whatever. They feel intimately threatened by the mere existence/presence of such, and I will with certainty tell you that those feelings are irrational in nature.

However, the aggressive actions coming from those individuals' lashing out from fear are what got associated with the moniker, and so now it's also applied to other groups performing similar actions; when those people are just being cunts for cunting's sake.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: March 26, 2020, 04:32:48 am »

That is what I feel too. -phobia is appropriate for the aversion towards being associated with gayness (which is in itself not a fear of homosexuality but a fear of being ostracised/losing social capital(/social standing? I'm out on thin ice with these words, ironically enough ;) )), but not the antipathy/hate that the phobia fuels.

I honestly and sincerely think is a distinction that it is important we make, because I think the phobia and the antipathy needs to be met with different condemnation, and addressed with different methods. I feel like grouping them together strengthens the hold the phobia has on culture.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: March 26, 2020, 04:38:04 am »

In this case I think the root is in-group-out-group-bias:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-group_favoritism

By saying it must be a capital-P "Phobia" that might influence how the phenomena is perceived.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: March 26, 2020, 05:15:23 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:03:54 pm by dragdeler »
let

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: March 26, 2020, 06:47:56 am »

I went into the kitchen expecting coffee to have been made, when not only did I not set the pot up, I remember explicitly thinking that I didn't want coffee the last time I was in the kitchen.

I don't know why I'm torturing myself with lack of sleep, trying to "fix" my schedule. It's not like I have anywhere to be, except the doctor's once a week; all the fun stuff I'd normally straighten my schedule for is off-limits to me.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: March 26, 2020, 06:52:50 am »

I think I've come to the realization that I'm at the low end of the perceived power dynamic in my closest friendship.

I'm not entirely sure just how I feel about that, or how I would go about changing that dynamic in a way that isn't just acting like a petulant child throwing a tantrum.

It's a complicated issue, one I'll have to spend some time thinking about.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: March 26, 2020, 07:28:41 am »

The only way I know to establish dominance in a relationship is to take a shit on their floor then suplex their face into it
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: March 26, 2020, 08:46:08 am »

I went into the kitchen expecting coffee to have been made, when not only did I not set the pot up, I remember explicitly thinking that I didn't want coffee the last time I was in the kitchen.

I don't know why I'm torturing myself with lack of sleep, trying to "fix" my schedule. It's not like I have anywhere to be, except the doctor's once a week; all the fun stuff I'd normally straighten my schedule for is off-limits to me.

Blackout curtains, no clocks. Just eat when you're hungry and sleep when you're tired. You'll either get your sleep schedule back on track, or become unstuck in time and gain superpowers.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: March 26, 2020, 10:31:31 am »

safn't
Does this contraction stand for safe not?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: March 26, 2020, 12:41:24 pm »

My unemployment payment has been shafted by some automated process, that apparently suspended it because I didn't tell them the jobs I've applied for - never mind that I've just moved two states and haven't even been assigned to a new employment agency to report to yet, despite my best efforts to get it sorted.   
I doubt any employers are likely to be hiring at all right now, anyway, let alone unemployable fuckups like myself.   

Now I just hope I am able to get this new problem sorted out before it starts costing me money. My phone is currently out of action, too, and I'd really rather not have to go to one of the government agency in question's physical offices - those places are horrifying enough when there isn't an epidemic going on. Probably closed at the moment anyway.
Hell, even their call centres might be closed for all I know. Argh, now I'm starting to panic myself. Best to just sleep and try to deal with this tomorrow.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: March 26, 2020, 12:57:11 pm »

My unemployment payment has been shafted by some automated process, that apparently suspended it because I didn't tell them the jobs I've applied for - never mind that I've just moved two states and haven't even been assigned to a new employment agency to report to yet, despite my best efforts to get it sorted.   
I doubt any employers are likely to be hiring at all right now, anyway, let alone unemployable fuckups like myself.   

Now I just hope I am able to get this new problem sorted out before it starts costing me money. My phone is currently out of action, too, and I'd really rather not have to go to one of the government agency in question's physical offices - those places are horrifying enough when there isn't an epidemic going on. Probably closed at the moment anyway.
Hell, even their call centres might be closed for all I know. Argh, now I'm starting to panic myself. Best to just sleep and try to deal with this tomorrow.

I regularly get the feeling that this is the goal of the way they run the system.

Also, when you say "unemployable fuckups", do you mean "people in their early 20's"? Because I remember my 20's, and you aren't the only one.
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 779